What's new

I'm Looking For Good Nature Documentaries (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
Anyone have any recommendations ?

I already have

IMAX:Beavers
IMAX:Bears
Coral Sea Dreaming

:)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Oh, and I'm not advertising Amazon here...just that they have good writeups on DVD releases:). Deepdiscountdvd.com has better pricing and free shipping.

WillardK

Second Unit
Cane Toads... low budget short that's as funny as it is fascinating. It's about a misplaced species overpopulating and upsetting the natural eco-balance in northern Australia.

was going to suggest Microcosmos, but checking I see it's only out in German(?!)

Ryan B

Agent
Deepdiscount.dvd lists "Life of Mammals" as being Full Screen, yet Amazon.com lists it as Anamorphic Widescreen.

I'm pretty sure this title is Widescreen (given that it Blue Planet was widescreen and this is another BBC documentary), but does anyone have a definitive word? I looked all over town for this title today but could only find it at Suncoast for $80. Looks like I'll be ordering it online...;)

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I recommend David Attenborough's nature series unequivocally. These include "The Trial's of Life", "The Secret Life of Plants", "The Life of Birds" and many others. Try any episode of "The Trial's of Life", my personal favorite.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
For something humorous but interesting, you might enjoy Animals Are Beautiful People. It was directed by Jamie Uys, who also did The Gods Must Be Crazy films, and uses the same type of narration and camera gimmicks as them. Great cinematography.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
My wife and I have Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, The Trials of Life and The Blue Planet. I can't recommend them enough. There are some truly fascinating sequences on these discs, like a group of sharks running down and killing a blue whale in The Blue Planet, and a bird that imitates as a mating call (precisely) sounds it hears around it, like chain saws and camera shutters. Truly amazing.

Something a little bit different is Walking With Dinosaurs (and it's companion shows, Allosaurus, Walking With Prehistoric Beasts and Walking with Cavemen). The thespians are computer generated and models, set against real locations, all done in pure documentary style. Fascinating stuff.

Alex S

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to get Life of Mammals.
It looks awesome !

Is there any extra's on the 4 disc set that is not on the individual 4 discs ?

AT DDD it works out to about the same price if you buy them individually or as a set.

Which is the better way to go ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks