What's new

I'm Finished! (1 Viewer)

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished this this morning... Too bad its not real...
At least i've confirmed it will look nice, but now I just have to build it!
SubinRoomFinal.jpg

Cam S

Screenwriter
Holy crap, it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't!!

Is that a FOcal driver you'll be using? Give us the specs and some pics on it.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I made up the entire thing in a 3D program called "solid edge"
I was planning on using an Adire Audio Shiva (I just drew a kevlar cone because it looks cooler)
The box is 18"(W) x 15"(H) x 24"(L). The Height and Width are to match my TV stand (right beside it). I'm thinking of using the PE 250W amp or the AVA250 from Adire, but I can't imagine how the Adire is worth $50 more? Its going to be sealed. I'de say about 50/50 music/home theater. Its sealed because I want really nice sounding base, and it doesn't have to go THAT loud ;) (but pretty loud)
I wanted it to be nice and small looking, so I opted to not go the sonotube route. (Not that they're anything wrong with sonotubes!) I'll be going away to University at the end of the summer, so I want something that I can take with me.
I think it should be a sweet sub as soon as I get the go-ahead from my dad. (Yes, i'll be paying for it, I just don't have a credit card).
If you go to here you can see other pics of the drive alone (some really nice ones)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Will, looks like you know how to use that program, nice work.
I just ordered a Shiva, AVA250 plate amp, and an FP4 port kit from Kyle over at Acoustic-Visions. I was origianlly going to get the Parts express 250 watt plate amp, but Kyle made me an offer for the Adire 250 watt amp I couldn't refuse, so I'm getting it instead.
I'll be building mine in a traditional box fashion much like yours, but in a 85-100L ported enclosure. It will look identical to this one made by Kyle (not Kyle Richardson)
http://www.angelfire.com/movies/myho...ges/shiva2.jpg
but the port detail and color will be more like this Aerial SW12
http://www.aerialacoustics.com/graph...2/sw12pic8.htm
So it should look nice.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that sounds pretty much exactly what like what I want to do (minus the port). So what factors (other than the price) lead you towards the AVA250 as supposed to the the PE250? That is my major dilema, but I think I have everything else sorted out...

Thanks,

Will.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Will, from everything I read about and heard about the Difference to me between the AVA250 and the PE250 was price. Although Parts Express advertises the true wattage of the PE250 amp being 272w RMS @ 4ohm, versus the 250w of the AVA250. But since Kyle gave me such a good deal on it, I just went with the AVA250 instead.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The difference is the rumble filter. The AVA250 has 1dB of boost at 25hz with the rumble filters corner frequency at 18hz.

The PE amp originally shipped with a 6dB boost at 30 or 35hz. I believe it is now shipping with the rumble filter (and therefore the boost) disabled. PE has a pdf file with instructions on how to modify the rumble filter by changing out 2 resistors. The one table gives two resistor values that are supposed to result in a 1dB boost at 25hz and corner frequency of 17hz.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
So you mean that the discount resulted in the AVA250 being less than the PE250? And if thats true, do you know of a way that I could get that discount too?

Thanks very much,

Will

Cam S

Screenwriter
I won't say exactly how much I paid for my AVA250, but it was good enough for me to choose it over the PE250. Talk to Kyle Richardson over at Acoustic-Visions.com he'll answer all your questions and give you a good deal.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hey Will, if I give you a picture of the corner where my sub will be, could you place a replica of my sub in the corner using your software?? haha

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It will start to roll the frequencies below 18hz off providing protection to your driver from bottoming below 20hz. The 1dB boost at 25hz will give an almost unnoticable boost to freqeuncies between 25 and 20hz. In otherwords it's that way because it will work really well with a Shiva/Tempest/Maelstrom.

Cam S

Screenwriter
thanks for the help Dustin.

BTW Dustin, I'll be visiting some friends in Saskatoon in the coming months, I'd love to pop in and give your system a listen.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well depending on how fast the job hunt succeeds after I graduate at the end of this month I may or may not still be in Stoon. But send me an email when you are going to be in town and I'd be happy to give a demo. The only impressive part is the sub (although I really should get an EQ for it, got a pretty bad room mode around 40hz). The rest is pretty middle of the road.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Will, Dustin is correct in the fact that it will provide a rumble filter starting at 18Hz and the 1db of boost will hardly be noticable. With the PE amp shipping without the boost the rumble filter is also disabled.
I cut Cam a deal on his AVA250 because his entire order consisted of Adire items except the PE amp. I would have had to order it in costing me more money and him time so I made him an offer that helped both of us out.
I'll make the same offer if you want.
BTW, very nice rendering!
PS. Am I allowed in this thread since I'm the only one south of the border? :)
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

Cam S

Screenwriter
hehe, nah I was just kidding Will. I wonder if I can do something like that with Paint Shop Pro. Or i can try and find a copy of that program you mentioned

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
He he, if you want to shell out the dough... its a $6000 program (yes, three zeros). Before you think i'm spending all that money on it instead of a home theater, I'll just tell you that I got it through my bro who is a engineering student, and got an academic copy of it for free.
But Kyle, if you were to offer me that same deal, it would be fantastic! I've got your email from the acoustic-visions site, so i'll contact you soon! Thanks very much!
Oh yeah, i'll let that border thing slide, but just this once... :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
hahaha, ya WIll, I'll get an "academic" copy too, I've gotten lot's of software the "academic" way :D
BTW Will. The shipping on my order for the amp/sub/port kit, was like $37 us, and borders fee's will be half that, hopefully. So it really isn't all that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks