What's new

I'm confused....Throw Momma From "A" Train? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
From DigitalBits:

This is the second place I've seen the movie referred to as Throw Momma From A Train. It's Throw Momma From The Train. I'm wondering if the MGM press release is wrong.

I was beginning to think there was some other movie with a similar title. The announcement mentions a new anamorphic transfer. I have to admit I haven't watched the DVD in a few years, but the current release is anamorphic. Is there some reason they're redoing it? Seems to me they could give some of their P&S butcherings an initial 16:9 release before redoing this title. Just curious.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You're thinking of the little-seen Billy Strayhorn/Duke Ellington Jazz Opera, Throw Momma from the "A" Train, which closed after a single performance at New York's Wintergarden Theater in 1942. :)

Regards,

Joe

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Of course, it's not to be confused with "Throw Momma From A-Train", featuring A-Train ("Shave your back!") from the WWE, but don't tell Casey that... :D j/k

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of the old story of when Lawrence Welk (on his TV show) introduced one of his ensembles performing the Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn classic, "Take-uh a Train". :D

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Don't you remember "Mama" from the "A Team"? Mr. T's mother, she had a haircut just like him and twice as much jewelry.:D

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
No, all of you are wrong. The movie streeting this may is "Drink Some Night Train with Momma", a documentary showing Vicki Lawrence's slide into alcoholism after Mama's Family is cancelled.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Actually, B.A.'s mother was played by Della Reese, and she looked about like she did on Touched By an Angel. I'm probably stepping on your joke with that, but. . . . :)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
"Paaaash the Jesus juice." - Michael Jackson

Alright, back on topic. If it's the Billy Crystal/Danny DeVito film, the I think he's right. It was one of my favorites growing up. Dunno why it's been changed or if that's just a typo.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
No, they've got it all fouled up. It's supposed to be Throw Mamba From A Train, the little seen sequel to SSSSSSS. I can't believe Ernest didn't catch this. :)

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I've solved the mystery! The specs list a special seamless branching feature. The viewer will have a choice of several trains, and can choose which one he or she wants to hurl Momma from.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Good news on this one. I found the new version in the 7.50 stand at Wal-mart. It has a different cover.

This is definitely a new transfer. I previewed both on my PC, and the sharpness and color are much better on the new one to my eyes. Plus the last one seemed to be zoomed in more than this transfer. All in all, worth the 7.50 for the double-dip.

Also, it has a different UPC-027616927835.

I haven't seen it listed online yet, but haven't looked much.

I'll try and post some screenshots when I have a chance.

EDIT: A little mor einfo. MGM's website lists new digital transfer (this might be old news), and Amazon has a separate listing that states "Remastered and Repackaged".

Here is a shot of the cover art from the MGM site:

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Still has the 4 deleted scenes. I got it from Amazon along with the new 16 x 9 The Mask just the other day and they both look really nice. Great job on them.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
This isn't the exact same frame, but pretty close. Taken from PowerDVD. Pretty obvious difference I think.

OLD

NEW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks