What's new

If you had to guess..... (1 Viewer)

Torkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Im doing a walkthrough today with the super intendant for my house thats being built to determine the wire layout for our theater setup. Im going to be running a piece of RG6 for the subwoofer, however, I cant really test the acoustics of the room being its currently just a wood frame. But I do have to let him know where I want the wire. So, is there any way someone experienced with this stuff would be able to propose an adequate place to tell him where I want the wire run to, i'd appreciate it! Heres a diagram of the setup:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
IMO ceiling-mounted speakers for any part of an HT system is a definite no-no because that location will not help create a proper surround soundfield.

Actually, based on the diagram, it looks like you have two very good spots for the surround speakers: the left surround speaker could be mounted on the wall to the left & just "behind" the couch; for the right surround speaker, the wall above the last bottom step of the stairway (if there's actually a wall there, I cannot tell) and behind the couch. ---> To me, if a surround speaker is not behind me, even by just 6 inches or so, a proper *s-u-r-r-o-u-n-d* effect will not be created.

Of course the front speakers should be lined up with the images on the screen - exactly where will be determined by whether or not you use an acoustically-transparent screen.

Subwoofer: if this were my home, I would NOT have its cable pre-installed in the wall. That's because a subwoofer's optimum location in a room can only be determined when the room is completely finished (and the funriture has an effect too), so locking myself into one location sets off loud mental warning bells.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
When I built my house I kept the baseboard 1/2" off the floor. This allows the carpet to be tucked under and gives a hidden pocket for wires to be run. Having to make a decision on the sub location during construction is just a guess. I would put the sub outlet in the front left corner. Then if that location does not work out, I would run the wire from there under the baseboard.

Torkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
thanks for the input. I actually opted against in ceiling speakers and decided to use an omni mount to mount speakers just behind and outside the couch so that I can angle and turn them as I please. as for the RG6, it also looks like it will be run afterwards maybe through the crawlspace above the room. I just had to give them a location for a potential outlet, i went with the back left, because im paying for one. If that position is optimal, i simply wont use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks