What's new

If I get a HDTV soon? (1 Viewer)

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Im sure you folks know this by now, but in 2004 HDTVs are going to be plug n play for high definition cable. Since Im more then happy with my digital cable and the price is great $60 a month for ever channel Im not switching. If I do get a HDTV now when 2K4 rolls around will I be able to get a high def signal from my cable through a converter or set top box? Even though I do not have a true high def signal, I watch more DVDs then TV and many of my video games support progressive scan and wide screen. So I would like to get one with in the next couple months. Thanks for your help.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This is actually something we've all been dealing w/ for a long time now. Before that announcement, the issue was DVI/HDCP (or Firewire). IIRC for announcement, this hasn't actually changed.

Anyway, most people seem to feel that it should only be a real issue for premium cable content in this regard--premium sat content would likely apply as well while HD-DVD, whenever that happens, will also likely have similar issue. The belief is that they will probably reduce the analog signal to something like 480p for premium content while continuing to offer analog HD for non-premium content. This is just a majority(?) speculation, and it certainly makes sense. Nothing has been officially announced yet about this.

If you're concerned about it, then buy an HDTV that comes w/ DVI (or DVI upgradability). However, there are some good TVs at great prices that don't offer DVI, eg. the Panny's, so that's something to consider if your budget is a limiting factor.

_Man_

Chet Hayes

Agent
"If I do get a HDTV now when 2K4 rolls around will I be able to get a high def signal from my cable through a converter or set top box?"

Only God and perhaps someone at your cable company, who you'll never get to talk to, knows the answer to that question.

The recent interface agreement is an important and major step in making HDTV real. However, how fast your local cable company decides to start using bandwidth for HDTV is an entirely different question.

Start calling them up and tell them you want it. Cablevision called me up and wanted to sell me their new digital cable service for $10 a month more. I told them I don't need more regular channels, but I'd love to get it as soon as they offer HDTV on it. The guy promptly started to dismiss HDTV as not being real, need a new set, etc. By the time I was done with him, I think he new where I stood.

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I think Ill get one sometime next year, and for the time being start building a new home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks