What's new

I will be dropping by more often. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, have fun with it, sir!

Meanwhile, I remember advocating (with others) reading a thread all the way through before participating in it. And I've just seen a thread in Movies that now is several pages long, and I've just read the first couple of pages. Oh, how I'd love to offer my two cents in it. This is torture. Oh well. That's what you get after being away for so long.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LOL - I think many of us have fallen into that trap. I'll stumble on a "new to me" thread (sometimes years old) and try to read all the way through so I don't sound like a doofus with an ill-informed reply. Doesn't always work as I'll sometimes sound like a doofus even if I *have* read it all... :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Marko.

Another thing I've noticed here lately (and I am far from complaining): A lot of members are showing images of their cats in their avatars. DaveF, for example, has an orange tabby staring at the camera from behind him. Another member has his cat showing affection toward him, and yet another member shows his cat sound asleep (something all cats love).

Once major issues are settled for me, I am hoping to adopt another feline. A few things about this feline I already know: The kitten will be female and will be a classic Siamese (as opposed to a "Show Cat" Siamese). I even know her name: Zephyr.

Perhaps that day is not so far off. ...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Less activity means less opportunity for volatile disagreement. This site is nowhere near as active and varied in its discussions as it was in the early years of my being a member here. The movie discussion is mostly made up of a few regular, long term members. Twitter and Facebook attract the attention of people more than forums do nowadays.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It may be less active, and it may be true that Twitter and Facebook (both of which I tend to avoid) lure some of the less-committed HTF members, but I think something else is easing up the disagreements: Everyone is more accustomed to the Internet now. As a result, pretense subsides and genuine conversation ensues.

Also gone (or greatly diminished): the sheer pettiness that often prevailed in certain sections of HTF, this one (After Hours) being the most vulnerable.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Welcome back, Jack. Hope all is well with you.

Damn, I just realized I've been posting here for over 20 years. :wacko:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Once major issues are settled for me, I am hoping to adopt another feline. A few things about this feline I already know: The kitten will be female and will be a classic Siamese (as opposed to a "Show Cat" Siamese). I even know her name: Zephyr.

Perhaps that day is not so far off. ...

My meezer Simon approves! :thumbs-up-smiley:

simon_27.png

Welcome back, Jack! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That is a gorgeous cat, questrider/Brian! Again, classic Siamese cats are beautiful, which makes me wonder about professional breeders and what they are doing to Siamese cats entered into the so-called "cat shows": Those poor creatures are becoming so gaunt and angular that they barely resemble what Siamese cats have been. Same with their close relatives, Colorpoint Shorthairs (of which my beloved Attila the Cat was one): they, too, are gaunt, angular felines with large ears.

Why take something that is so beautiful -- a classic Siamese -- and indulge in such harsh breeding so as to render them into something that looks as if it hasn;t eaten in months?

JohnRice: You're pissing me off with your posts (:)).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
JohnRice: You're pissing me off with your posts (:)).
See!?!

My parents have a rescue Siamese, and that cat is far from gaunt. That dude is a freaking rock. I've never met a cat in my life that was such a solid mass of muscle. Big stinking cat.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
That is a gorgeous cat, questrider/Brian! Again, classic Siamese cats are beautiful, which makes me wonder about professional breeders and what they are doing to Siamese cats entered into the so-called "cat shows": Those poor creatures are becoming so gaunt and angular that they barely resemble what Siamese cats have been. Same with their close relatives, Colorpoint Shorthairs (of which my beloved Attila the Cat was one): they, too, are gaunt, angular felines with large ears.

Why take something that is so beautiful -- a classic Siamese -- and indulge in such harsh breeding so as to render them into something that looks as if it hasn;t eaten in months?

From what I've read (and perhaps misunderstood), the show cats are the real Siamese breed and what you and I (and others) refer to as classic Siamese are actually Thai cats. Then from there there are two distinct looks within the breeds which are usually wedgeheads with big ears and are thin (and look kind of human in a creepy sort of way) or appleheads with normal ears and are "chunky" (which is the classic look we like).

siamese_wedge-vs-apple_405.png

I went the shelter method of getting one as I didn't want to support breeders. It took a while because of supply and demand but ultimately I finally found one after a six-month search. (Which I feel stupid for because there are plenty of fine cats to be adopted at a shelter within 15 minutes of walking into one but I've always wanted a Siamese so I did it this time. Next time I'll march into a shelter and ask for the cat who's the oldest and been there the longest and promptly take them home!) Thus, my Simon is an applehead Seal point who's around 17 lbs (he's a big boy like @JohnRice parents' cat!) and in the end is just a cat! He also has a little bit of the crossed eyes that has been bread out of most modern Siamese cats but I think it's kind of endearing and gives him derp cred. ;)

simon_28.png

:drum:

So, Jack, I can't wait until you get Zephyr and are able to start posting pictures of her in the The Official HTF Cat Thread! Maybe we can inspire @Mike Frezon to get one for Ernie and Pete! :eek: :blink: :P :D

Last edited:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brian, that is news to me. I, of course, have thought it was the other way around. But I do not want to say too many negative things about cat show Siameses (on the basis that all cats deserve love), yet I do prefer the more traditional look of the "appleheads."

Meanwhile, I must note the lack of activity my "motorcycle" thread is getting. I refuse to post this notice there, as I do not believe in popping up my own threads. But I sure thought there were more motorcyclists here. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks