What's new

I want bass that hits me in the chest. How can I make this happen? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Ja

Agent
I own a HSU vtf-2 sub and I love it. I noticed the other day when playing some music that when I stood right next to it the bass hit so hard, I typically sit about 13 feet away from my 65". What type of sub would let me feel that kind of bass at my sitting position. My room is "L" shaped. The main room measures 17' X 14' and opens into a room thats 8' X 8' with 8'ceilings. From what I have seen so far the new SVS sub might get me there. Am I right? Thanks.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Either a bigger SVS sub or add another HSU sub like you already have. Both are good companies and if it were me I would call or email Ron at SVS and tell him about your unique room and he will guide you in the right direction. Even if is to buy another matching one he will get you going right....

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Have you tried turning up the gain on the sub?

Otherwise, like Mike said, add a sub, or get a bigger sub.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Good question Patrick and a good goal! If I were you I would go with another VTF-3 and stack them in the same corner. Calibrate one and then power it off and calibrate the other. Be sure to calibrate the first one at a -1 receiver setting and the same with your other. Then bring the whole works back to what-ever sub calibration you want from your receiver.

Whoops! I see we are talking a VTF-2 here. Well I think if it were me I definitly would go with a PB2+ then, or one 25-31CS/PCI+ or 20-39+ to start out then.

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
Although this sounds uneducated and most people are going to probably disagree with me, get something with an 18" woofer. I've heard HT systems with 12's that played louder (and perhaps sounded better) than 18's but the systems with 18's always had that punching you in the chest, sucking the air out of your lungs effect. I've gone thru a bunch of subs over the years all being 10 or 12" drivers, but the day I heard a Sythesis system with 2 18" JBL subs, it was all over. My home brewed 12" Shiva subs just didn't cut it anymore.

KostaVan

Grip
Have you done calibration on your sub yet? If not, buy an SPL meter at radio shack and have a friend sit in your listening position while you move the sub around and change the phase on the sub. Whenever the SPL is highest...there you go! Try that before buying a different/additional sub.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It's probably because those 18 inch pro woofers really kick ass at higher frequencies. The chest slam, to me, doesn't seem to be in the subwoofer range (

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty easy to do. Build a sealed subwoofer with a Qtc around .8 or higher and it'll give chest thumping bass. It won't extend very low and won't be very "accurate", but for home theater it'll rattle your fillings loose! :)

GeorgeDeliz

Auditioning
Since you like your vtf-2 the least expensive solution to your problem might be to move your vtf-2 close to your listening position. If that is not possible or proves to be unsatifactory then I guess you'll have to consider a more powerful sub.

George Deliz

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Blocking all the ports in the VTF-2 and setting the amp to max SPL mode could achieve what Brian describes.

KostaVan

Grip
That thing is a beast. Either that or a dual cylinder of your choice should do the job. I love my SVS (20-39PCi) but you obviously need something bigger and better. Talk to the SVS guys...maybe they could help you out on this one.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
the PB2+ is a monster, $1300 delivered. you definatly get more than what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks