I want bass that hits me in the chest. How can I make this happen?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Patrick Ja, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Patrick Ja

Patrick Ja Agent

I own a HSU vtf-2 sub and I love it. I noticed the other day when playing some music that when I stood right next to it the bass hit so hard, I typically sit about 13 feet away from my 65". What type of sub would let me feel that kind of bass at my sitting position. My room is "L" shaped. The main room measures 17' X 14' and opens into a room thats 8' X 8' with 8'ceilings. From what I have seen so far the new SVS sub might get me there. Am I right? Thanks.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Either a bigger SVS sub or add another HSU sub like you already have. Both are good companies and if it were me I would call or email Ron at SVS and tell him about your unique room and he will guide you in the right direction. Even if is to buy another matching one he will get you going right....

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Have you tried turning up the gain on the sub?

Otherwise, like Mike said, add a sub, or get a bigger sub.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think a VTF3 would do that... or maybe the new STF series?

SVS PB2?

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Good question Patrick and a good goal! If I were you I would go with another VTF-3 and stack them in the same corner. Calibrate one and then power it off and calibrate the other. Be sure to calibrate the first one at a -1 receiver setting and the same with your other. Then bring the whole works back to what-ever sub calibration you want from your receiver.

Whoops! I see we are talking a VTF-2 here. Well I think if it were me I definitly would go with a PB2+ then, or one 25-31CS/PCI+ or 20-39+ to start out then.

6. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

if money isn't a factor then just get a SVS PB2+[​IMG]

7. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

Although this sounds uneducated and most people are going to probably disagree with me, get something with an 18" woofer. I've heard HT systems with 12's that played louder (and perhaps sounded better) than 18's but the systems with 18's always had that punching you in the chest, sucking the air out of your lungs effect. I've gone thru a bunch of subs over the years all being 10 or 12" drivers, but the day I heard a Sythesis system with 2 18" JBL subs, it was all over. My home brewed 12" Shiva subs just didn't cut it anymore.

8. KostaVan

KostaVan Extra

Have you done calibration on your sub yet? If not, buy an SPL meter at radio shack and have a friend sit in your listening position while you move the sub around and change the phase on the sub. Whenever the SPL is highest...there you go! Try that before buying a different/additional sub.

9. Patrick Ja

Patrick Ja Agent

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

It's probably because those 18 inch pro woofers really kick ass at higher frequencies. The chest slam, to me, doesn't seem to be in the subwoofer range (

11. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

That's pretty easy to do. Build a sealed subwoofer with a Qtc around .8 or higher and it'll give chest thumping bass. It won't extend very low and won't be very "accurate", but for home theater it'll rattle your fillings loose! [​IMG]

13. GeorgeDeliz

GeorgeDeliz Auditioning

Since you like your vtf-2 the least expensive solution to your problem might be to move your vtf-2 close to your listening position. If that is not possible or proves to be unsatifactory then I guess you'll have to consider a more powerful sub.

George Deliz

14. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Blocking all the ports in the VTF-2 and setting the amp to max SPL mode could achieve what Brian describes.

15. Patrick Ja

Patrick Ja Agent

Would the new SVS PB+2, I think I said that right, do this for me because it is in my price range?

16. KostaVan

KostaVan Extra

That thing is a beast. Either that or a dual cylinder of your choice should do the job. I love my SVS (20-39PCi) but you obviously need something bigger and better. Talk to the SVS guys...maybe they could help you out on this one.

17. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

the PB2+ is a monster, $1300 delivered. you definatly get more than what you pay for.

18. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit