What's new

I want a Jack Brigg's "Great post!" stamp of approval! (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Seems like everyone got a "Great post" reply from Jack Briggs except me! :frowning:
I shouldn't have said anything bad about 2001! I'm sorry Jack! Forgive me!
:)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Max, I’ve never received a Pretty Good Post™ award from Jack, either. I couldn’t be more disappointed. I’ve tried sucking up by saying good things about his favorite movie. I’ve tried participating in scientific discussions and using really big, scientific-like words. I’ve even appealed to his appreciation for good writing by always using the subjunctive mood correctly and appropriately. Oh, sure, I once wrote “should of” in a post, but that was a joke. I even included a smiley.
Like you, Max, I’ve lost a lot of sleep over this. I lay awake at night trying to imagine what I possibly could have done to set Jack off. Whatever it was, it must have been horrible.
But, for what it’s worth, I appreciate your longstanding contribution to this forum, Max. Your appreciation of significant scientific achievements, your clear and critical thinking, and your ability to express yourself clearly have made this forum a better place.
However, if I were Jack, I’d stop checking that last sentence for faulty parallelism and give the Pretty Good Post™ award to me instead of you, because I love 2001 more than you do, and also because stochastic quantum resonance, Schrödinger interoperability radius, and xenonumismatist are just a few of the big scientific words I know.
So, there.
Wait… Is it “I lay awake,” or “I lie awake”?
Dang! I think I just blew it again!
Oh, wait a second. This will fix everything: :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ok Brian, as long as I get the Nifty Post Lifetime Achievement Award instead!
Maybe in a few years we'll meet in Jack Brigg's Mansion of Seductive Pleasure, surrounded by scantily-clad Playboy Playmates (how do you get the TM symbol?) who appreciate scientific reasoning, open-mindedness, and critical thought!
I'm getting all snuffily about it. *sniff*
I hope snuffily is a word.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Oh and thanks for the kind comments Brian...your ass-kissing is noted. When I make my first billion, I'll let you in on it! I cannot make any guarantees about inflation though, if the Snow Crash scenario hits...
:)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Wait… Is it “I lay awake,” or “I lie awake”?
Definitely I lie awake as 'lay' is the past tense and your statement didn't quite seem to be past tense.
However, it does seem in the U.S. that lie is very rarely used anyhow so it's probably still correct.;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I remember Jack saying once "Steve that last post of yours sucked less than usual", yep he said it, the man said it, I can't remember which post it was but he said it, made my day it did.;)
"Daisy... Daisy..."

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Do you guys think a "Peter Hyams Appreciation Thread" would garner such praise? I'm thinking of starting one. :)
Evan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Peter Hyams. Oh, the man whose mug I have affixed to a dart board in my office. The man whose photo I tried to talk the United States Post Office into putting on their bulletin boards next to the FBI lists. The man whom even my cat Attila knows must never be mentioned within the walls of Castle Briggs. Hyams.
There, I feel better now. Great thread, guys! :)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Peter Hyams. Oh, the man whose mug I have affixed to a dart board in my office. The man whose photo I tried to talk the United States Post Office into putting on their bulletin boards next to the FBI lists. The man whom even my cat Attila knows must never be mentioned within the walls of Castle Briggs. Hyams.
I didn't like 2010 either. Blechhhh!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The man whom even my cat Attila knows must never be mentioned within the walls of Castle Briggs.
Jack, at the risk of sabotaging your amicable feelings toward this thread, not that I would do such a thing, because, really, I’m happy as a clam that Max, not I, started the first thread to receive the Jack Briggs Great Thread™ award (and certainly not to mention that my own contribution to this now, literally and officially, great thread was considerable in both quantity and wit, though my humorous setup and callback at the end appears to have been lost on some), and along with the risk of correcting a writer – though I, unlike someone else whose name I won’t mention but who has popped in here on more than one occasion, would never pander to someone’s ego for some stupid, made-up accolade just because he’s a writer with administrative authority over this forum – who has been published in respected journals, I believe that should be “who,” not “whom.”
Oh, and Max, sorry about not catching you, even though I was standing right here. You see, just at the moment when you asked for someone to catch you, I was thinking about reaching for my coffee, and, well, you know.
Ass-kissing, indeed!
;)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You're forgiven Brian...as a former victim of caffeine addiction myself, I understand the choice you made completely. You bastard!

Whenever I hear the "Hyams" I keep thinking of hyman. Am I sick, or is it perversely appropriate?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks