What's new

I need to go multi-region! (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have a Toshiba 3107 DVD player, and I need desperately to modify it to play discs from other regions. How can I do this? Is it even possible? I'm not afraid to crack 'er open and fiddle with her innards if need be.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I wish. I'm poor, I simply can't afford to purchase a second player. Thanks for the tip, though.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Carl,

Without the PAL to NTSC, you'll never be truly REGION FREE.

And .... If crackin her open for a mod that doesn't take... A new player will certainly be in order.

Dugger

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
You can buy any of the hackable Daewoos (3000GN, 5000GN and 9000GN) from $99 at Amazon.com. A better choice would be Sampo DVE-611 which I've read that can be found for about $125. Of course, the Malata is the best but above the $200 tag.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks to all for the replies.
Jerry, thanks a ton for the info on the Daewoo5700. I know I said I couldn't afford to purchase a new player but (1) I wouldn't have dreamed that a player as good as you say the Daewoo is would set one back only $100 and (2) I just remembered that my folks still owe me a birthday present. :)
I think I might spring for the Daewoo after all. Jerry, you say it should be available at Sam's Club? I don't generally like to order things on-line, so it would be awesome if I could just run down the block and pick it up from a store. Also, looking through the pages you linked to, the procedures for Region selection and Macrovision defeating seem relatively simple. I take it you've tried them out for yourself and seen that they work? I consider myself fairly adept at electronics and such, but some of those methods look a little dangerous and I'd hate to risk destroying a brand-new player for something like that.
Thanks again, guys.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Okay, one more question…
I actually have a spare Apex AD-500WM DVD player laying around (long story), and in my search for a region-free player, stumbled upon this page. I don't have a CD burner, but a good friend of mine does. Is the site reliable? Can I follow the procedures listed there without worry? I don't want to permanantly screw up my player.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Yes Carl, I've tried both procedures and they work like a charm. If you follow the instructions carefully, it's a cinch. :emoji_thumbsup:

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Okay guys, here's the situation.
I have the APEX 500WM and like I said above, I'd like the files from this page burned onto a CDR. For reasons I won't bother to bore you with, I can't get my friend to do it for me.
Would someone out there in HTF land be kind enough to burn a couple of CDRs for me? I'd like one for the regionless settings and another to restore it to the original settings (just in case). The page to which I linked should have all the info you need. And of course, I'd be happy to reimburse you for your troubles and expense.
Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Just remember that the APEX PAL to NTSC conversion is...not perfect

Yes, those files will work to patch the 500.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't really care about PAL. The speedup bothers me too much, so I wouldn't buy any PAL discs anyway. I'm mainly looking to be able to import some Japanese discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks