What's new

I need a recommendation for a pair of subs (1 Viewer)

StuartL

Auditioning
I have been watching this site quite regularly for the past couple of months, gleaning tons of video/audio information for both my new home theater as well as audio for my living room in my new home(under construction - almost done). I value your opinions.

My question is this: I would like to build a pair of subs to go with my 4 Wharfedale Sapphire 8's that will work in a large, acoustically live room.
My new house will have a very large living room -- 55'wide by 24'deep with a cathedral ceiling going from 12' to 23' in the center. I would guess about 18,000 cubic ft. Acoustically, it will be a very 'live' room because the floor will be tile or marble, with only a few area rugs. But since it will be used exclusively for audio, (The HT will be set up for Video only)it should be alright.

I have a 1000W QVC amp that I can dedicate to them. Any suggestions? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... But I would like to build these subs rather than buy outright, and I don't know a more knowledgeable group of people to ask.
/Stu

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You should ask a moderator to move this to the DIY/Advanced section.
Anyways, what kind of budget are you working on? Is that amp mono or 2ch? Are there any size restrictions on the sub(s)?
And would an infinite baffel design be a possibility?
http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475
Note the links to pics of installs and the FAQ at the top of the page.

StuartL

Auditioning
Thanks, Dustin... I read the whole list of current threads, looked and the photos, and learned a lot...
I also requested that this thread be moved as per your advise.;)
You are right... I think a set of IB's would be ideal.
The only size restriction I can see is the distance between the 24" ceiling joists.
After reading all of the recommended threads, I am now thinking (brainstorming) of building 2 plenum-type three-sided enclosures (~22.5"x 48"?) and mounting a pair of 12" subs (brand?)in each of them. I would then cut 22.5" slots between the ceiling joists, fastening them between the joists. These could slip into the ceiling from below, provided that I mounted the subs on the inside sides of the plenum. Would this work?
The amp is two channel, 1000WPC
Stu

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
What kind of budget do you have?
I'd recommend multiples of the Dyaton IB15" ($110 at 2 or more) or Adire Audio Tempest (run in a RDO configuration; $150 but I'm sure the more you buy the more they will discount). With a room that size I'd want a minimum of 4 if not 6 or 8 of them. In either case 2000W is way way more power than you'll need.
Having the drivers face into the plenum was actually Dan Wiggin's solution to the temperature problems I'll face if I get a chance to build one (middle of the prairies in Saskatchewan gets kinda cold).
If you can I'd run them all in one plenum. 24" will be plenty big enough. Picture building a box between the joist, having drivers oppose each other on it. Two on the short ends and 4-6 on the long sides (36" should be oodles for 2 and just under 50" should be oodles for 3). Then have a some where bewteen 18x18 and 24x24 opening to the room (or the entire one side of the box if you want. Wire them up to present a suitable load to your amp and off you go.
It would be expensive (you missed the preorder, now $500 a pop) but 2-4 of Adire's new Tumult would also be excellent. And would make use of more of your amps available power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks