What's new

I need a new TV (1 Viewer)

Nick_flylethalx

Auditioning
Hey everyone
I am going to buy a new display apparatus.
-I have $500 at the max.
-I am going to college I want it to be 27'
-I play video games and watch DVD's about 90% of the time

I am thinking about the panasonic CT 27HL14 Tau.
They have been running it for about $500.
What do you all think about this display?
Also do you have any other recommendations.
Thankx in advance

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
If you can up your budget to about $700, you can get a 26" widescrean from the new Samsung line. I saw the 30" today, and this line is beautiful. I'm probably going to buy one soon.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I have that panasonic (but mine's last year's model). I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have 16x9 enhanced/squeeze mode. But in every viewing I've had I'm convinced that the picture on this is the equal to that of the most expensive 27" Sony Wega (from the same model year). That Sony was about $250 more expensive than my panny, so I'm extremely pleased. Good luck.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
the 26" Samsung widescreen is $600 regular price at sears and will soon go on sale for $480 when the new models are released. That said, you would probably be better of w/ a 4:3 27" HD set. You will get nearly the same 16:9 screen size and much more 4:3 screen size.

You might also consider the Zennith C27V36 which adds a DVI input for around the same price.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen the Zennith side-by-side w/ the Samsung. If you can afford it, the Samsung is leaps and bounds clearer than the Zennith.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If your an X-Box fan make sure you check into the Panasonic because I don't think it can handle a 720P Signal? Before you jump on the Panasonic I would wait to see what "ALL" the other companies new models will have to offer along with how much they will cost. Try www.avsforum.com because I thought I saw some posts on the Panasonic over there.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
No 16:9 mode -- A real disadvantage, you have to use the 4:3 letterbox setting on your DVD player and the picture won't be as sharp.

Too few video inputs -- A real disadvantage, you would have to keep unplugging and replugging in the back. You need at least three Video choices on your remote with corresponding clusters of jacks. One for composite, one for S-video, one for component video.

Channel selection too slow -- Makes channel surfing tedious.

Comb filter poorer than "three line digital" -- TV broadcast picture will have lots of dot crawl where color patches meet, which reduces overall sharpness.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Nick_flylethalx

Auditioning
This model has 3 composite, 1 s video and, 1 component inputs. none of them are shared. plus it has an A/V output. Plus I have a few switch boxes for my games.

Allan Jayne can you recommend a TV with all the requirments above. I would also like progressive scan if possible.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Sharp or Sanyo had a nice 32" HD set at Walmart. It has a built in HD tuner. It looks rather nice I had to admit but I have not compared it to the others.

Still it would be a nice 2ndary set for me and you might be interested in it as well. You should check it out.

Nick_flylethalx

Auditioning
I have looked at those at Walmat. They were ok but I have had bad luck with almost every electronic item I have bought from there. Plus my Walmart is the S--thole. Everyone were I live drives about 10 more minutes to got Target. Trust me you can go there at midnight and it is packed it is a horrible store Dirty, clutterd, and there is no guess service. But anyway. I want a 27' because I am going to moving into a very small apartment off of lakeshore drive in Chicago. I am going to school up there. and my car is not very bib plus I have to be able to mov it bymyself so 27 is pushing it. Thank for your suggestion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks