What's new

I Love You, Warner Bros.! (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Warren Lieberfarb,
I honestly don't understand why you've chosen to go with full-frame transfers for titles like Willy Wonka and I have to say that I feel this is a big mistake. However, I also remember that you've done more for the DVD format than any other studio. When other studios were running away from DVD, you worked hard to negotiate their entrance into the format. When many studios were busy embracing DiVX, you shunned that disgusting technology and were very vocal about the fact that Warner would never support it. When other studios were busy releasing DVD titles in the $30-$35 retail price range, you clung to your belief that DVD was a collector's format and continued to release "A" titles at reasonable prices ($20-$25).
Please accept my heartfelt THANK YOU for all you've done for the DVD format!
BTW, those newbies to the DVD format might wish to read this article:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/612844.asp?cp1=1#BODY
Mark
P.S. Warren, I have no plans to give you any of my money for Willy Wonka. But, despite it (and some other mistakes you are making lately), I still love Warner Bros.!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I liked Warner better when they were doing laserdiscs- EVERYTHING in the proper aspect ratio, and for a while discs were priced at $24.99 and $29.99- they kinda 'forgot' about that shortly after, but at least you knew a Warner disc was ALWAYS going to be in the proper format!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Though I'm very critical of WB's antics of late re OAR and lack of catalog titles, I read today that, via Turner, WB is also footing the bill for restoring Vitaphone films from the dawn of sound, and also planning the release of Vitaphone shorts next year, albeit on VHS only I believe. This at least shows >some< sort of acknowledgment of their vault, and of trying to please those of us who like such material accessible. Why can't this promising mindset permeate their DVD department?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't see why everyone hates WB for two (or one, depending on a certain widescreen release later this year) open matte (part P&S for Cats & Dogs) recent DVD's.
I see other reasons like "snapper" packaging and sound foulups on Superman. I'll probably get pelted with blunt objects for saying this, but I think the snapper is actually a good package. It's cheaper to make than any other cases (excluding jewel cases...BLECH!) and is only 2-3 parts.
I actually think WB's past DVD's have been excellent like Superman, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Ben-Hur, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, North By Northwest, and The Matrix.
My only complaint really is that WB isn't releasing enough classic titles at a time. (I have a list with about 20 titles made up for the WB chat (if you guys don't scare them away!) and that's just what came to mind first.
I'd happily buy a nice SE of The Thin Man in place of Cats & Dogs.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Mark,
I can only hope that you're not inferring, simply because I am wrathful at Warner Brothers of late, that I am a "DVD Newbie." I have been collecting DVDs for several years now, and laserdiscs before that. It is true, Warner Brothers did help institute the DVD format, and has since done many things to help further the format. And I pointed out certain aspects of WB's current policies that have been good over in my topic. But this does not excuse Warner's current trend of ignoring the consumer (South Park and Friends; pan and scan; and yes, even snapper cases, which most people dislike). Although I do not agree with boycotting all of Warner's releases, I do believe in boycotting their pan and scan only releases, and I do believe in being vocal about my distaste. I am a consumer, and I demand to be catered to.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
What I read in the article, I pretty much already knew about Warner Bros. involvement in DVD's invention, and resultant cheerleading on the format.
But it seems that they are taking the technology away from those of us that thought it was a good idea as well. I bought my first player in June '97, so I've been watching all this happen.
Although Willy Wonka was the only DVD I wanted (The cats should have won in that other movie
wink.gif
), their P&S only policy for other films is not only insulting, but also amazing in the fact the Warner helped develop Pan & Scan on the fly. Why don't they program that off of their anamorphic transfers? I can't imagine it taking up as much space as a full length P&S transfer. They invented it, why don't they use it?
As far as snappers are concerned, they we're here in '97, so I'm used to them. They're just a box, I'm not so anal that all my DVDs have to look the same on the shelf. And NO! The vast majority DON'T HATE SNAPPERS! Speak for yourself!
Frankly, I'm getting quite tired of the silly complaints about snappers on these threads. I just see important issues (like OAR, DTS, classics, etc) being sidetracked by an issue that only histrionic Drama Queens who have an unhealthy love affair with tupperware care about.
rolleyes.gif

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
The vast majority DON'T HATE SNAPPERS! Speak for yourself!
Frankly, I'm getting quite tired of the silly complaints about snappers on these threads. I just see important issues (like OAR, DTS, classics, etc) being sidetracked by an issue that only histrionic Drama Queens who have an unhealthy love affair with tupperware care about.
The vast majority don't hate snappers? I don't know how you arrived at such a BOLD conclusion. But given the many, many threads I have seen on this subject in my short time at HTF - I am guessing that you are wrong.
I agree that the "important issues" you have listed above would certainly remain a top priority for most members. However, I am also willing to bet, that most of the members of this forum feel that an attractive (and durable) packaging concept is also a very important component for keepsakes such as DVD.
Oh, almost forgot, IMO :)
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
First off, some, even many prefer amarays to snappers...thats a much farther cry than actually hating them. Life must be pretty good if that's all you really feel is wrong with the world.
Also, DVDs are not china dolls, vintage guns, White Star Line plates, or even beanie babies. They are only a keepsake until a hi-def/better video format comes out. After that happens, I guarantee you won't even remember, much less give a rats ass what those "yesterday discs" came in. Did you encase any of your VHS tapes in oxygen resistant archives for historic posterity yet?
rolleyes.gif

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
C'mon people! Focus on the disc inside rather than the package! Me, I don't mind snappers too much (although, given a choice, I would certainly prefer keepcases).
However, I'll take a great film with a good transfer in any type of casing.
Just my opinion

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Trace:
for someone who thinks discussions on packaging is silly, you seem to bring it up as much as anyone else.
what are your sources that claim a majority love snappers...?(or 'dont hate")
do you read the threads here and elsewhere?
You realize that more and more studios have dropped the snapper.
WARNER BROS proper is likely the only one left...'vast majority'?
And AUSTRALIA actually convinced WB to drop them. I suspect the
same percentages of KEEP-lovers exist here as there...(or Snapper haters...)
again if you want to point your discussions to issues of 'superior' merit, fine,
but you lose ground when you go this route and we find you back to....discussing
your love of Snappers...and condescension towards those who dont like them.
So, if you think discussions on packaging are silly......
cool.gif

------------------
[
[Edited last by Mark_TS on August 18, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
OOOH! Hit a nerve didn't I Mark?
wink.gif

Yeah, you got a point... I do spend to much time talking about something that is pretty irrelevant. I just think it's a stupid reason to hate a company. You have to admit there are a few people posting on these Warner threads that P&S is of only a secondary issue, that case comes first.
You know very well why Warner uses Snappers. Don''t play ignorant every time you post just to get a point across...Let me repeat for the upteenth time....They have no choice!!! Ivy Hill is in the same conglomerate as Warner Home Video. How would it look to Steve Case, The board of directors, and the stockholders if one of their own divisions goes outside the company to use something that can be made in house? Ivy Hill designed them, Warner has to use them. No amount of wishful thinking or temper tantrums are going to change that.
What I find funny, is that Warner gets all the hate mail over these things, yet I NEVER see a similar thread about HBO, New Line, Image, etc. It's as if this BIG-BAD Studio is making all of the smaller "good" guys use snapppers against their will.
If you have some factual information about the Australian market, then by all means, post links. Otherwise I have to dismiss your arguments on the aformentioned wishful thinking dept.
As far as the MAJORITY is concerned, I seemm to see the same small band of snaper haters (such as you) making their point over, and over again, every time they post, trying to pad their numbers. Kind of reminds me about the line..."The moral majority is neither."

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
*who* hit a nerve...?
wink.gif

meanwhile, time for some of our Aussie friends to step in ....
(this is old news)
------------------

Dan_K

Grip
Y'know, as much as people gripe about snappers, they do set WB DVDs apart from others on the shelf.
They should at least include widescreen and P&S on flip sides of a family DVD instead of just P&S.
WB: Remember that Mom's and Dad's are part of the family too!
wink.gif

That's my 2¢
[Edited last by Dan_K on August 20, 2001 at 07:47 PM]

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
quote: They have no choice!!! Ivy Hill is in the same conglomerate as Warner Home Video. How would it look to Steve Case, The board of directors, and the stockholders if one of their own divisions goes outside the company to use something that can be made in house? Ivy Hill designed them, Warner has to use them.[/quote]
They most certainly have a choice.
Sell Ivy Hill or put them to use making cases for AOL coasters.
If the Snapper is such a great idea, why does AOL use a Keepcase then??????????? Steve Case has no problem with the "way he looks" not using Ivy Hill to distribute his pride and joy.
[Edited last by Joseph S on August 19, 2001 at 02:03 AM]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
A small reminder that let's keep this thread civil without personal references. As much as some of you like or dislike Warner's packaging, it is still only packaging which means people getting their nose bent out of shape isn't necessary, at least not in this thread. Thank you.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 19, 2001 at 04:36 AM]

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
The Problem with snappers as I see it is if the Snapper breaks then there is no way to replace the case unlike a keepcase where the cover slides behind the plastic. Keepcases IMHO are the better way to go.
I have also written extensively in this Forum about Warner's penchant for ignoring it's buying public. The most blatant example of that is the debaucle around dts. I will say again that had Warner released current popular titles of the day like "The Matrix" they would have been in full support of dts. Now they look like one of the last hold outs and IMHO that makes them look like idiots.
Also before anyone says or implies it. I am not a DVD "Newbie" having been an avid collector for the past 4 years.
In Warner's defense however though I will give them credit for generally excellent transfers. that's my two cents!
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I cannot thank you enough for the new Kubrick set, which I treasure above all other discs, and if there is one disc that looks to rival (even surpass) the best of Criterion's releases in both picture, sound and supplements in abundance of quantity and quality, then Citizen Kane looks to be it!
I never thought I'd say it, but this looks to be one of the top five discs ever made! A huge thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ed,
I had to replace a few (much less than Amarays!) snapper cases and I can tell you - it's a joy! If the cardboard isn't damaged - and I haven't seen a case where it was - you simply snap it out the broken frame and snap it in the new one. Ready!
That doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to see the cardboard replaced by a similar thick platic plate. But: the central button in snappers has much less been broken than in Amarays (or the like) of all DVDs I have received (also relatively, taking into account the totals of each).
Yes, IF the cardboard is damaged you must replace the whole thing (word has it that you can sent a broken snapper to Warner's and they'll replace it whithout costs), but that's the same with Amarays if the artwork is damaged beyond repair.
Of course I am very careful not to damage any of my DVDs or their cases, so I cannot tell you how vulnerable snappers really are as compared to the Amarays.
Snappers take less place in my cabinets (they are thinner) than other packages. I like them!
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on August 19, 2001 at 02:41 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks