What's new

I have the Pio 1016, do I need the analog outs on an HD-DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

I have a Pioneer 1016 with 2 HDMI inputs. Will they accept more than just stereo audio? In other words do I still need to use the 5.1 Analog out of the HD-A1 HD-DVD player to the 5.1 in on the amp or will connecting the HDMI only allow to send HD video to the TV AS WELL AS send higher end audio to the amp.

Now I KNOW it cannot decode the new HD audio stuff. However there is supposed to be better audio on these discs right? like un-compressed audio that can be enjoyed with the analog out right? Can I get that same audio through the HDMI to the amp?

Sorry if this question sounds "not to bright", I am usually on the ball with these things but damn it, I'm getting old...

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The HDMI inputs on the 1016 will only do a pass through of the audio/video signal to your display source (ie your TV will output sound) but won't produce an audio signal through the receiver. In other words, to have audio out of your receiver, you will need to also use the audio out of your HD-DVD player to connect to your receiver.

Rolando

Screenwriter
DOH!

I was afraid of that. So to get the best audio I should use the 5.1 analog out on the HD-A1 right?

Was hoping to get the HD-A2 for faster loadtime but if it does not have the analog out for 5.1 that makes it a deal breaker. GRRR!

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
I'm not familiar with the HD-A1 or HD-A2 boxes, but don't they have digital audio outputs in coaxial and/or optical? I think that would be the better route if available.

Rolando

Screenwriter
sorry, should have precised.

I am talking about the HD-DVD players from Toshiba

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Digital outs vs Analog outs... Generally speaking, you want to use the better of the two DAC's (Digital to analog converter) for signal conversion.

In many cases, the DAC in the receiver is superior so it is beneficial to feed the pure digital signal to the receiver for conversion. In this case, the DAC in the HD-DVD player is probably more capable of converting the upgraded HD Audio track than the receiver. However, from what I have experienced, the difference can be be slight and you end up with quite the snakes nest of wires to go this route.

Once recievers are capable of HDMI 1.3, we'll be back to having better DAC's in the receiver (hopefully) and 1 wire.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To get DD+ and DTS-HD you'll need to use the 5.1 analog outputs, other wise DD+ and DTS-HD will be converted to normal DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks