What's new

i have Ps2 and Xbox - should i get Gamecube? (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
while i enjoy both my ps2 and xbox (slight edge to xbox for graphics and online play so far, although i love the ps2 for different reasons), there are still some games i really want for gamecube (rogue leader, metroid, eternal darkness, monkey ball, etc).

but there are definitely LESS games for the GC that i want than the other 2 systems.

cube owners - do you think it's worth picking up a GC as my 3rd console? what is their online game plane? so far all i see is Phantasy Star, which is coming to other systems. And i was disappointed to see that their Resident Evil remakes weren't even at least 480p.

But the new Platinum colored system looks very nice, and if metroid Prime is half as good as people are saying i'm adding GC to my xmas list.

thanks

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I was very close to selling my Gamecube recently (I too own all 3...and my PS2 is modded for imports).
I decided to hold off for Metroid (and Zelda), and so far with Metroid I'm very glad I didn't sell the system.
I may only buy 6-10 titles by the time the 'Cube dies. But quality can make it worth it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
And i was disappointed to see that their Resident Evil remakes weren't even at least 480p.
Yes, disappointing indeed. However the producer of the Resident Evil titles was recently interviewed and was quoted as saying that 480p support was skipped over in RE0 but would be implemented in the next RE title (RE4). So looks like there isn't much to fret over there anymore:).
Look down and you'll understand:D.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Sean,

If possible, hold off until next year and get a GC used with all the major titles for cheap. Nintendo's future is a little uncertain and all the must-have titles are launching this Xmas, during the dry period next year there might be some very good deals to be had.

Also, if Xbox and PS2 drop prices again, GC will have to drop too to maintain its position, and then used console prices will crater.

If you gotta have Metroid, then you gotta have it. But it will be just as good a game used next year as it is new now, I'm waiting patiently.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I would say yes without any hesitation.
Nintendo's future is a little uncertain
I guess I just don't see this point of view. This is not a company in any financial hardship, plus it has the market cornered on the handheld gaming industry. They're not going anywhere.
Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness.. They all are a reason to own the platform. Throw in Pikmin, and a few others and you've got a great system with a good deal of very good games.
I was at the point you were at a few months ago, except that I had a Gamecube and a PS2 and was debating my Xbox. Now, I can say that the only way to be a really, really happy gamer is to have all three. :)
Glen

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I own all three, and I also have hardly any games for the GC. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice machine, and that Wavebird just ROCKS, but as for the games, I find myself not even interested in most of what's out there for the GC. If I JUST had the GC, I'd be in a better position since there are quite a few multi-platform games, but when a title comes out for all 3, the XBox wins. With Bounty Hunter, I'm picking the PS2 version.

As with the N64, the GC will be the platform I buy the least amount of games for (I had the PS1, DC, and N64 then), but I knew that going in.

Used prices are cheap enough where you can get a good deal.

Mike

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Get it.

Having all the consoles is great, and it's the only way to play some great 1st Party Nintendo stuff.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'm one of the resident Gamecube only guys, but while I would love to own all 3, it's just not realistic for me. Lately, I haven't had a chance to spend as much time with my Cube as I'd like. So, I couldn't imagine having all 3 consoles.

For me, the Gamecube is SO much more attractive than the other 2: I think it has the best controller, the best wireless controller, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Animal Forest, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 01234&CV, 4 new Capcom games, F-Zero, Starfox, Smash Bros, Phantasy Star Online, and that's just exclusives.

If none of the above attracts you, and you feel that the 2 systems you have now fills enough of your time, I'd just stick with PS2 and XBOX.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Cameron, me too man! I just do not like Sony and certani mimicing schemes and XBOX.. I just don't ned another desk in my room, friggin huge system, besides I have a damn computer. Anyways, I love Gamecube. The games, glorious...

-Bert

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Er, why would a thread debating the merits of adding a Gamecube to the other 2 systems degenerate into PS2 and XBox bashing?

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
If you can add the third system Sean, I'd say go for it. I would add a PS2 if I had the cash, but right now I'm quite happy with my one system here (guess which!).
It all comes down to the fact that the Cube has one big ol' honking thing going for it: First party softs (you all thought I was going to say Resident Evil, admit it ;)). Rent though, and sample. See if you like what you can get on the Cube that you can't elsewhere.
Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, and Animal Crossing are just some of the treats you can't find anywhere else these days (and only ONE of those could possibly ever show up elsewhere).
Nope, the Cube does not have the big wide field of carts to choose from, but realistically it's true that a large field often just means more sub-par crap to choose from (something I found out when I bought my PSOne a couple years ago).
I'm probably the world's worst advocate for you to get a Cube though, as I:
a) don't care at all about video features like 16:9 and 480p, I just want a good game that looks great in basic video (I'm the Home Theater Heathen from this point on).
b) I am still not sold on on-line gaming at all (look at me, I'm a Nintendo marketing director :D) though I admit I wouldn't mind an X-Box to blow up Romier a few times ;). I will be the first one out of the gate if we get Pokemon On-Line though, sadly...
c) I do want more GC games than I do for other systems. I still have yet to purchase Sonic Mega Collection, Beach Spikers, Bomberman, Wave Race, and a raft of other games. And I own more games for my Cube than any other system I've owned besides my PSOne (cheap Ebay, what can I say).
Which is in direct opposition to some things you're looking for. But that's why I have my Cube, for what it's worth.
Oh, and I also have it for Resident Evil :D.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
Romier :

"(Exceptions of course being games lik Spyhunter or Need for Speed in which the PS2 versions were far superior). "

- why is the PS2 version far superior? I sold my PS2 version and ordered the XBOX version since it includes the original version of the game also. Why is the xbox version so inferior??

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I bought my Gamecube for one main reason: the Nintendo exclusive titles.
Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, etc. My 9 game lineup of GC games are ALL exclusive titles, only available on Gamecube.
Anything cross platform I always get for my Xbox. True, I'm getting more entertainment out of my Xbox than my GC right now, but there's no way I'm going to pass on all the Nintendo first party exclusive titles. I'm a sucker for Nintendo-made games. :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

It sounds to me like you just answered your own question. Can you afford to buy a Gamecube? If so get one. While $150 is a lot of money it's a reasonable investment for a console that has games that you really want to play.

On a sidenote I have an X Box which I'm very happy with and used to have a PS2. A few months back I gave the Playstation to my brother as a wedding gift. With my rather busy schedule gaming time tends to be limited and the PS2 had gathered a layer of dust several months thick. Before you make the decision to buy a third console make sure you'll have time to play all three of them.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Sean: At least you have 2 consoles out of 3.
I have none of them, mainly because I've been too busy with work and haven't had much spare time. Now that things have calmed down a bit, I'd like to get back into gaming but there are so many choices that I'm going crazy trying to decide what to buy.
I've always been loyal to Nintendo. I have had all their consoles up to the N64 and love all of their exclusive titles.
But there are so many cool games for the PS2 and Xbox and the fact that games are coming out with 5.1 audio and progressive scan video on those consoles just make the decision harder.
Aggrrrhh! I'm not sure what to do! :angry:
Where can you rent the consoles? Blockbuster? I tried one around my house a few months ago and they told me they were not renting consoles. Maybe it was just that one store?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I am still not sold on on-line gaming at all (look at me, I'm a Nintendo marketing director ) though I admit I wouldn't mind an X-Box to blow up Romier a few times
Bring it on. Bring it on!:D To be truthful I've been slacking on my online duties lately. The enormous opened flood gates of single player titles like Metroid Prime, Splinter Cell, Shinobi and more have just had me completly wrapped up with little time to spend online. I am looking forward to getting back to Mechassault and Ghost Recon soon though;)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
"in the case of Spyhunter the PS2 version did not suffer from some of the framerate issues (and slightly muddled graphics) the Xbox version had and it also controlled quite a bit better IMO. That to me was enough to make the PS2 title the superior version of the game. "

Yikes...this is the second "port" of a game (tiger woods 2003 is the other, since EA really seems to program for PS2 in mind) that seems really bad in comparison the Ps2 version...which is strange since XBOX is the more powerful system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks