Need help with hooking up video devices to receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DaveD', Oct 29, 2004.

1. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

Ok, right now I have 5 different devices I hook to my tv: XBox, PS2, Gamecube, dvd player, and pc video out image. Currently I have to swap them because the back of my tv only has 2 s-video inputs. The back of my receiver(Pioneer VSX-D509S), however, has 5 s-video ports in the back and one in the front. How can I have it so all(or 4/5) of my devices are hooked to the receiver and get the image on my tv? Should there be a designated s-video out on the receiver that sort of acts as a "gateway" to having the video signals on my tv? Here's a pic of my receiver and tv to help. So far I've tried hooking my ps2 to the "vcr/dvr S-in" while having the "s-out to monitor tv" and s-video in on the back of the tv connected to each other but it didn't work. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brian_D

Brian_D Agent

The top s-video port, where it says "out to monitor", is where you run a single cable to the s-video input on your tv. Run your cables from your other devices to the s-video inputs on your receiver. Now when you want to change sources, you just use the receiver to select what you want and the selected device will show on the tv.

Oops, just looked again. You only have 3 s-video inputs on your receiver, the others are outputs for each device. It looks like with your setup, you can have 4 different s-video sources hooked up at one time. 3 going to the receiver with one cable from the receiver to s-vid 1 on your tv, and then another going to s-vid 2 on your tv. If you want them all hooked up so you don't have to plug and unplug, you will need a switcher. Another option is to have one of the devices hooked up to the composite input on the tv.

3. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmmm, that's basically what I tried to do the first time, but this time it worked. [​IMG] Thanks for the help!