Should I get an XBox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hey Guys,
    well I've already got a PS2 and a Gamecube. My 22nd birthday is coming up on December 16th and between that and Christmas I could easily get an XBox and a game or two for both occasions. I had no real interest in getting an XBox until recently I've had the urge to play Halo again(I borrowed my older brother's xbox over the summer and rented and finished Halo). While I know the XBox is an amazing machine, I'm not sure there are enough games out for it that interest me to justify my purchasing it right now. Between classes, homework, my social life, and my two other consoles, I feel like I might not get that much usage out of an Xbox. Halo would be a must have but it seems to me the Halo is the only must have title. I've looked into Ghost Recon and XBox Live and while it's compelling, I'm not sure I'd be totally into it. In general I enjoy sports games, FPS, and adventure titles. While I don't doubt that I will get an XBox at some point, I'm wondering if I should hold out. The current deal, while nice, isn't that great to me. Neither Sega GT or JSRF interest me, as I have Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2 and I'm not into JSR.(though it's good to see the unit now includes the S controller which I prefer). I'd rather get the console, S controller, and no games for $150. In any case, what do you guys think? Are there enough games out now and coming out in the not too distant future(as in pre may or june) to justify getting an xbox now instead of waiting till I graduate and hopefully find a job?Please be honest and keep the fan boy comments to a minimum [​IMG] If it matters, I do ahve DD 5.1 but I don't have a prog scan display. thanks for any input.

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Should you buy an Xbox? Not if you read Gamespot.com on a regular basis. [​IMG]

3. Dave Bennett

Derrik, nope I only read IGN as I decided in June to shell out for insider. [​IMG]

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III

It sounds to me like you answered your own question. Between my job and my social life it's difficult to make time for my one console (Xbox). I could scrape up the cash but I don't have time to justify three consoles. Do you?

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd say get it. If not for Metroid Prime I would be playing my Xbox all the time...

9. Dave Bennett

Yeah I've been thinking about it a bit more and I think that while I will get one at some point within 2003, I'm gonna hold off on one for right now. Halo is really the only must have title for me(and Halo 2 whenever that comes out). Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Raven Shield, and Unreal Championship look interesting but to me they aren't console sellers for me. Hopefully I'll have a job by graduation so after I get a new car and find an apartment perhaps an XBox will be in the future. On a side note, does anyone know where I could find a list of upcoming XBox exclusives? That would be really helpful to me in deciding.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Don't get it. The price will come down at least once more by next Christmas and you'll be able to find great games dirt cheap. Hopefully, you'll also have some more free time by then.

11. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Those of us who have them say get one...
    Those of us who don't say don't...

Hmmmmm...

12. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

I'm of the firm belief that if you have to ask people...

"Should I get one?"

...you shouldn't get one. Obviously, if you need to base your purchase on other people opinions and want to know if they think you should get one, you really don't want one. So why waste your money?

13. Bill Tillinger

Bill Tillinger Auditioning

Well, you said that you enjoy FPS games, if that's the case, then the XBox is right up your alley.....here's a few reasons (FPShooters):

1. Halo
    2. Serious Sam
    3. Wolfenstein (coming soon)

Also, you are definately missing out on a couple of great XBox Live games like Unreal Championship and Ghost Recon. Basically, both of those are pretty close to FPShooters, and they are well done!

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

PS2 has a ton of FPS games, also. AFAIK, PS2 is getting Castle Wolfenstein, as well as the X-Box.

15. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Dave,
    YES.
    Your former leader has spoken [​IMG]

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

17. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Not that my opinion matters, but I bought an XBox about a month ago now (I have a PS2 as well) and honestly I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It has some great games already and nothing beats the thrill of 5.1 gaming. From what I hear XBox Live is just another reason to put your money down for this system, pity we don't get it for months and months over here. Ultimately, its your decision but my opinion is that you would be making a wise move in buying this great gaming system.

18. Dave Bennett

I think if I didn't have the Gamecube(or conversely didn't already have the PS2) I'd be gung ho on the xbox. However, I'm fairly certain I'm gonna wait a while. The cube is finally starting to get some more gameplay from me and I'm gonna try to check some of the Cube/PS2 games I missed along the way(Animal Crossing, Devil May Cry, etc). As I said, I don't doubt that an XBox is in my future at some point but I think that future is gonna be post graduation. In terms of the FPS games mentioned, Ghost Recon looks interesting but not "must have" yet. Serious Sam doesn't look like my kinda thing and I played Castle Wolfenstein a bit last year on my roomie's PC and I much preferred MOHAA. Unreal Championship looks interesting as well but I fear it plays more like UT2003 and not the original Unreal Tournament. I guess if I'm struggling for reasons to buy one now than I guess I've answered my own question. Halo, while an amazing game, isn't enough for me to buy the system. It's funny that a year ago I was contemplating getting an XBox instead of a PS2 and even then the only "must have" title was Halo for me. I'm sure there are some lesser known titles that I'd love(like when I discovered Ace Combat 4 on the PS2) but I think I'm gonna save up and keep a close eye on the games coming out for the xbox. Also, to get my urge to play Halo out of my system, I'm gonna try and borrow my brother's xbox for a few days and rent Halo over christmas break. Thanks again for the (mostly) mature replies. It's not that the XBox is not an amazing system, it's just that it doesn't seem to have that "must buy me!" factor that the PS2 did for me last November(MGS2 and Gran Turismo 3 and the fact that I still had only a PSX) or the Gamecube did when I bought it shortly after the price drop(Resident Evil and Rogue Leader with a few good titles due within a months time). In any case, if/when I do get one, I think I'll definitely be doing XBox live so hopefully I can see you all there again(I'm definitely getting an XBox by the time Halo 2 and Doom 3 are released for it). I'll keep you guys up to date should i suddenly change my mind(which I'm often prone to do [​IMG] )

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

20. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

"I'm of the firm belief that if you have to ask people...

"Should I get one?"

...you shouldn't get one."

Chris is EXACTLY right. Well said.

I don't quite get the point of threads like this and that "Convince me to keep my Xbox" thread (actually, that thread is in a class by itself!)
    The best way to make a decision on whether to buy a console is to RENT it, with a game or two, and see what you think. (Better yet, BUY one from some place like Walmart, which will actually let you take it back THREE MONTHS later for a full refund, should you decide you don't like it. That's what I did with the PS2, after renting a bunch of games for it, and that is what I did with the Xbox - only I decided to keep the Xbox.)
    What puzzles me is, why should it matter to you what other people think in this reguard? THEY'RE not going to be the ones playing the games, YOU are.
    And on the same token, why should other people care whether you decide to buy an Xbox or not?
    I love my Xbox. Best console I've ever owned. beats the PS2 hands down, in my opinion. But that is MY opinion, plenty of other people around here feel differently. All that matters is how you feel about the console, and that should be based on hands-on experience, nothing more, nothing less.