What's new

I have an amazing -20dB dip from 4KHz to 20KHz! Why? (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I was messing around with a computer based spectrum analyzer with a radio shack SPL meter hooked into it. I have discovered that from 20Hz to 4KHz everything was, while not completely flat, what I had expected. What I did not expect is that starting at 3.5KHz to 4KHz there is a 20dB drop in output. From there to 20KHz it is reasonably flat.

What on earth can be causing a fourfold decrease in volume above 4KHz? My room is rectangular with dimensions of 251" long and 176" wide. I have a drop ceiling and have arranged my speakers using the standard Cardas method.

While I know the subwoofer cannot be to blame I performed the test with and without it. I also have bookcases with staggered books at the the early reflection points. I have performed the measurements with and without them only to get the same result.

This is driving me a bit crazy. Any ideas...

Thanks!

Dave

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, the RS meter response drops off a ton above 10K. Take a look at the response charts in instructions.

Don't have an explanation for the 3K to 10K drop, however.

I would think if you had problems in that range, your ears would be telling you that there seemed to be a blanket over your tweeters.

Do your ears concur with your meter? If not, it could just be a problem with the meter.

BGL

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What I did not expect is that starting at 3.5KHz to 4KHz there is a 20dB drop in output. From there to 20KHz it is reasonably flat.
It’s hard to tell exactly what you’re talking about, Dave: A 20dB notch between 3.5 and 4kHz? A gradual roll-off of 20dB between 4kHz and 20kHz? A sudden plunge of 20dB at 3.5kHz, but flat after that from 4kHz to 20kHz?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Good point Wayne,

I have experienced a sharp drop off starting at 3.5 KHz, stabilizing at 4KHz and from there remaining stable all the way out to 20KHz.

The graph looks something like this:

******************------------------------------

-Dave

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I will bet a shiney new nickel that this is a measurement issue.

Again, are your ears in agreement with what you are measuring? That kind of a FR will definetly be audible, assuming your ears are working above 3K.

BGL

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
3.5khz - 4khz is usually in the range of the crossover. You could have a bad crossover that is cutting out the tweeter.

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like it could be a cancellation problem by an out of phase problem.

It is in the right region for a reverse null dip but that is a pretty narrow range of only 500Hz your describing. Typically it is much broader than that. You could be limited by your measurement gear though.

Just to see what effect it has you might consider pulling out the tweeter on one of them and flipping the polarity on it then taking another measurement.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Disconnect one speaker altogether, and see if you have the same dip, then try the other by itself. Have you tried swapping speakers from one side to the other?

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
So, it turns out that I finally went to work (I work at Tweeter) and did an A/B comparison between my Haydns and the ones at the store. Lo and behold, my treble is muted compared to the store floor models.

So I figure that something's up with either the crossover or tweeter and sent both of them into service.

Wish me luck!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks