What's new

I got to see a pack of wolves yesterday. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I went to a place that has a pack of wolves. It's a place called Wolf Hollow and they teach you about wolves and their conservation. The wolves there are semi-wild. They were saying that there hasn't been wild packs of wolves in my area since 1850, which is sad and a shame. They said that the farmers and such killed them all off. They also said that to keep wolves away from your livestock, to get a donkey or llama, because they aren't afraid to go up to wolves and aggrevate them. The wolves will then run away because the donkey or llama gave them away to the livestock, plus get the wolves all discombobulated.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wolves are cool, there is a place in western NJ that does something similar, you can Adopt a Wolf and stuff like that.. have to go find out what place that is...
http://www.lakotawolf.com/
Found it! As always education usually is the key to understanding. Ignorance has led to the deaths and even extinction or near extinction to many predators out there. :frowning:
Didn't see any wolves in Denali when I was there last year although I didn't expect to see any. A friend of mine saw a red fox though.
Jay

AllenD

Second Unit
As always education usually is the key to understanding.
I've always disliked it when the media (TV news mainly) refers to great white's as a "killer shark" as it devours a cute seal. Or when a mountain lion kills a dog for food and the lion is considered "dangerous" because some sap decided to live in the mountains where the "mountain lions" live. :rolleyes

StephenA

Screenwriter
It's because of us that the cougar resorts to killing our livestock and pets. If we didn't destroy their habitat and kill off their prey, they wouldn't have to come into our towns, cities, and farms to get food.

Great whites only attack us because to them, we resemble seals and other great white prey. It's not their fault, because they ain't exactly the smartest animal, plus the fact we insist on swimming in their hunting areas.

We can't blame animals for our stupidities and such. They are only doing what comes natural to keep themselves and future generations of their's alive. Invade their area, and expect a few casualties on our part with livestock and pets, and sometimes even us humans. I hate how people have no regard for animals. Animals are an integrel part of the world. Destroy them and we effectively destroy ourselves.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
StephenA wrote:
Ecclesiastes III
18: "I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts."
19: "For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity."

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I hear the door slamming shut behind me.
In before the lock! Episode II: Attack of the Threads :D

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Oh, please. They're not going to lock this thread.
Rex: Religious discussion is generally prohibited around here. :)
See, problem solved. Now let's go on talking about wolves, which by the way, totally rock. My daughter has a cute little stuffed wolf. "Grey Wolf Pup" - came with a book about wolves and everything. Pretty cool.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This one time we will look upon Rex's post as just a fitting quote from a very ancient and wise book. :). Please refrain from religious discussions.
People weren't always wise when judging animals. The bad name of wolves is certainly not unbiased. In fact, our dogs stem from tamed wolves and - like most animals, sharks included - they rather seldom used to attack people.
Cees

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ryan Wright wrote:
There was no discussion of religion in my post. I meant the post just as the administrator suggested, as an apt quote that pretty much summed up and more than anticipated the sentiments expressed by the originator of the thread.
I guess if the exact same quote had come from Shakespeare it would have just been considered "great lit'rature".
Hmmmm.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
My dog is a Wolf - bred for domestication. She is a wonderful animal that I cherish!

I am afraid of the current Administration's policy on preserving "anything"......okay, there we have it! Politics and Religion!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I guess I take that kind of stuff for granted. Living on the east coast, it must be a rare treat to see animals such as wolves. In Montana they are just a part of life. Just like Bears, mountain lions, bald eagles, and buffalo. Always around. They are always in the papers because of conservation/naturalization vs. agriculture/ranchers/farmers

example: last week ther was an article in the paper about a wolf that was killed by a rancher because it was killing his livestock.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Speaking of mountain lions, there's always rumors of X amount of mountain lions living in the catskills or the ADKs in NY, I'm always seeing stuff about people finding tracks. However, there are many also reported sightings of things like bobcats and mountain lions all through the larger forrest preserves, national parks, etc, in the east coast.
bears (black bears) are common up around here, although the ones you here about are typically the problem ones.
What is also prevailant in the catskills are these huge-ass porcupines that live up in the trees and come down to scavenge at night. very common near the lean-tos and stuff. A friend and I were backpacking the Escarpment trail and we camped out at one of the bluffs overlooking the hudson river in the distance and when we were setting up camp, we noticed this huge porcupine that was like the size of a small german shepherd up in a tree. Well, later that night, do we here some rumbling outside our tent. Our food, stove, clothes, were tied up in a bear bag some 100ft away but we hear this pitter patter of small feet. I say to my friend, sounds too small to be a bear, unless it's a cub but we grabbed a flashlight and poked it out of the tent and lo and behold, that porcupine that was in the tree was wandering around our camp looking for scraps.. it crisscrossed our site and even walked right by our tent for most of the night. Wish I got a picture of it..
Catskills: Attack of the 'pines :)
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks