What's new

I got the call. My silver and black Rotel RSP-1066 is in. (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up the silver/black 1066 yesterday. My dealer has just one in stock and it happened to be the silver model. It kind of reminds me of an "old school" look. Almost like a Receiver from the 70's..maybe I'm WAY off base on that one, but I absolutely love the way it looks.

Oh, and it sounds spectacular too! I have a few days to demo it in home before they charge me for it, but there's no way I'm taking it back. I'm listening to CD's through the digital input as I want to use Rotels hardware for decoding (I only have a Sony CD megachanger) and it sounds utterly amazing! Home theater was a VERY pleasent suprise as I assumed 2 channel music would be most noticable. VERY deep and open soundstage. The most noticable change over my Yamaha Receiver is the background sound effects and music..I watched parts of the Pantom Menace last night and you could constantly hear the sympony music in the background..it never stopped!

Calabrating my speakers...interesting. I just turned up the volume to 50 or so and using a meter, made sure they were all equal. Then, I just turned up the volume, and used test tones from AVIA to find out where the 75 Decibal level is. I've read that you need to turn up the volume to 75 on the Rotel and then calabrate them until they hit 75 decibals? My speaker settings are 0db and my center is at like, 6db. Did I do something wrong here??

Anyway, I love the 5 channel stereo mode as well..very cool!

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Oh I forgot, how do you save large/small speaker settings on each input? I see the user defaults button and set that to yes, and then when I hit enter, the Rotel shuts off for second and turns back on, but it doesn't look like my settings were saved? I'll have to play with it a bit more..

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I just gotta tell you how exciteing this is for me. I have been listening to an old Sony Prologic reciever that hasn't put a signal to the center channel since Aug 2001 and the rears have been "crackely" for 2 years. I have been watching movies in stereo for months. Thankfully I'm using a Rotel RB 985 to bi-amp my PSB Silvers. When I get my new gear this will be the very first time I will have watched a movie in DD or DTS ever, other than in our local theatre. So I just had to let you know that this is HUDGE! :D ;) :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Brent,
You are in for a real treat. with the right gear. DD/DTS at home can be even better than in the theater. I prefer the sound of my system to any theater I've been in lately. Get ready to say "WOW" a REAL lot. Your going to be blown away.:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
DD/DTS at home can be even better than in the theater. I prefer the sound of my system to any theater I've been in lately. Get ready to say "WOW" a REAL lot. Your going to be blown away
I definitely agree with Legairre on this one. Regardless of processor or receiver used, I haven't been to a theater in a long time where I've preferred the sound over what I can produce at home (and I'm using a 5-year old Yamaha DSP-A3090 with DD5.1 but no DTS). To me, the discrete nature of certain scenes in DVD soundtracks are far more impressive at home (i.e. a fighter jet fly-by, train roaring across the front soundstage, etc.), and for that matter, ambiance scenes (rain, wind, etc.) seem so much more alive at home.

Enjoy!

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
I agree too. Played Pearl Harbor last night in DTS, movie is ok but the audio was very impressive. Local movie theater has a lousy sound system, eventhough it's only 3 years old. One thing I'm finding out is the blue ON led is almost to bright in a darken room.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
You won't have to try too hard to convince me. Even with only prologic, I preferred my home theatre to the sound of our local MegPlex's.The sound just seems very loud, and not very good. Our university had a state of the art DD theatre where I saw a rerelease of "The Godfather" some years ago but it closed.:angry:

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I just received a call from Rotel today and was told that their 10 series units will be available in silver while 9 series are not, so I guess the phonostage and line conditioner will be black:frowning: . The fins on the power amps will remain black with the center indent being silver.;)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Brent
Hey dude... thanks for the info. Any chance you could ask you evidently informed dealer if the knob on the 1065 receiver will have the blue LED surround look and power indicator like the 1066 pre/pro does?
Thanks a ton!
Jeff in Houston

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I was at my local dealer looking at the Rotel gear and the Rotel rep was there with a huge stack of promo sheets for the silver gear....

The 1065 WILL have all blue LED's on the unit just like the 1066. Looks nice too!

Thought you'd like to know.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks