What's new

I got new speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
I am now the proud owner of a Revel B15 and a pair of revel m20s. I picked up the b15 last Friday and the m20s yesterday and I have to say rarely in my life have I been so impressed with anything!! Simply amazing!! Now all I need is some better speaker cable. Any suggestions?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Cables are not something you can just throw out perfect matches for your system when one only knows your speakers. But even if one knew your entire system it still is a tough call as they can be very system dependant, as well as user. Then throw in the fact that you just asked this question on this forum and 95% of the members believe cables are voodoo. But I'll stick my neck out and risk the flames to give you at least three brands to investigate. One of these three brands are what the majority of folks with their systems posted on AA seem to own; Transparent, Nordost, or Kimber. I would imagine your dealer you bought the speakers from probably carries one or more of these lines.

Good luck.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats Eric! Genesis Audio must love you!

I'll put a vote in for Kimber Kable. I have the 4PR and they do a nice job for the $25 I paid for them. Head on over to www.audiogon.com and find some used cable. I'd go Kimber 4TC or 8TC if you can afford it.

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats Eric! Genesis Audio must love you!
I hope so because my girlfriend sure doesn't! She caught me sitting up at 2am hugging the B15 and now she is mad at me! Girls are so odd some times, they just don't seem to understand the bond a man and an inanimate object can have.

Daniel T. How difficult is it to make cables??

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Congratulation Erik on the Revel speakers.

The Revel sub with the M20s must leave you grinning most of the day.

I own the F-30s and and just love the to listen to music with them. I'm not using a sub for music. But I am for HT. I'm using DHLab Q10 Bi-wire speaker cables. And Harmonic Tech interconnects. Your M20s would really benefit from Harmonic Technology. I purchased mine used on Audiogon.

What other equipment are you using with the Revels?

Daniel T.

Agent
Difficult, hardly. Time consuming it is tho. I found that sitting down and braiding for a hour or so at a time was the ticket. The only part that might prove hard is terminations. I'm a gearhead as well, and I have a garage full of tools, so modifying some banana plugs was a simple task for me. A heavy duty soldering iron won't hurt either, lotsa copper to get up to temp.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Eric, I'm using a Rotel 1090 two channel amp to power the F-30s. It put out something like 500wpc@6Ohm. Trust me, the bass is fine for music. I also only listen to music with a tube preamp. Much better than my Aragon Stage One for two channel music.

You can find used Harmonic Tech interconnects 1 meter for around $200 shipped. I've also used DHLab Air metrics interconnect that work well with Revel. They are both silver interconnects. Which bring out the best qualities of the Revel IMO. I've also used BetterCable silver interconnects. But, they are not to my liking for serious listening. They are a good HT interconnect though. Harmonic Tech aren't as cheap as some but, IMO money well spent. I'm not ready to spend in the + $500 range on wire yet. ;)

Another jump in sound I found in my system lately is upgrading my stock power cords. But, that's another issue! :)

PS I also use DHLab Q-10 bi-wired speaker cables. I should have stuck to the question asked I guess. Oops!

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, I'm using a Rotel 1090 two channel amp to power the F-30s
That's odd, I was looking at that same setup this morning! It ends up my new m20s (I bought the demo model) have dents in the tweeters so I have to take them back. I talked to my "audio pusher" today and he is going to check on how long it would take to get a pair of f30s in rosewood. If the wait is to crazy I think I am going to get the f30s. Do you know how many watts max the 30s can take??

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Sorry to hear about the damaged tweeters.

I also have the Rosewood F-30s. I'm looking for a C-30 center channel either Black or Rosewood to match up my front side. Missed out on one from Audiogon a few weeks ago. He had a black C-30 for just under $975 OBO. I offered $975 including shipping. And someone else offered to pay shipping....SOOooo close! Another on will show up at some point.

How much did the dealer say the F-30s would be?

About the power for the F-30s. I was using my Rotel 1095 to power the Revel but, my ears told me they needed more power.

"Alway follow your ears."

Don't worry about too much power. I'm not using all of the 1090s power for the most part. But, there was a big difference going to a bigger amp. I've read from others on this forum whose dealers had the 1090 matched with the F-30s. It seems to be a popular match up of the two.

Having the B15 sub. Should allow you to be more flexible powering the F-30s.

I'm using twin SVS 20-39 subs powered by two of the 1095s channels. The SVS are about 3 feet behind the F-30s and did add depth to the soundstage. I have the crossover set at 50Hz for music and 80Hz for HT if that is of any help.

I recently added a used Audible Illusions Modular 3A tube preamp (bought locally from a guy on Audiogon). That's where the Harmonic Tech interconnects came into play. If at some point you want to reach another level of two channel enjoyment. I would seriously consider adding a tube preamp into the mix. I have to switch interconnects when going from processor to preamp. But, that's a small price to pay. There are preamps like Rogue that have a HT bypass through. But, I like to keep the signal as simple and direct as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks