What's new

I Bought A Sirius Boombox For Work....Satellite Newbie!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
hate to rain on anyones parade but.......

"Love is like Oxygen" is played all the time on the classic rock FM station around here and yes, they do play the long version. :)

as well as very old styx songs too.

yes, FM! lol

I have siruius and I hear alot of songs I never hear on FM and I am very much into obscure music. so I would love to hear what XM plays that makes it so obscure. with the cheap receiver price it might make me jump if someone can convince me.

mylan

Screenwriter
You are not raining on my parade, but around Atlanta stations are so competitive that they play the same songs over and over. Daytime is the worst, I have heard more obscure songs played late at night but who wants to stay up past midnight to hear different music? Even the classic stations around here playing "deep cuts" always play the song you figure they will.
Obviously you have been convinced by satellite radio since you have Siruius but don't piss on XM for the rest of us. When I get ready to buy satellite radio i'll figure out which fits my needs by the programming and if I get the "other" one chances are i'll never know what i'm missing.

Blu

Screenwriter
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Satellite is far superior to FM and any rotation.

Hair Nation is what I listen to most at work and I hear bands such as:
W.A.S.P.,London Quireboys,King's X, Salty Dog, Badlands, Blue Murder, Shark Island, Leatherwolf.

Now I was a huge WASP fan and I am familiar with a lot of the bands I listed. I rarely hear a repeated song on Hair Nation and I doubt that WASP was ever heavily on the radio during the Hair Band heyday. Well I know they weren't where I live and occasionally the KATT would play Forever Free. WASP's radio friendly ballad from The Headless Children album.

They go very deep into the bands like Bon Jovi, GNR, Motley, Judas, Def Leppard, Warrant, and Poison. Granted they were more of the quintessential Hair Bands but they also play Metal Church, Metallica, the occasional Slayer, Black Sabbath, Alice, and some very obscure bands I couldn't even begin to remember and I wouldn't swear to it but I think I heard King Diamond the other day.

For someone who was in high school in the 80's when Heavy Metal became Heavy Metal before the Grunge scene, I know 80's Metal. I'm happy with the depth of this channel:)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
who pissed on XM ? surely not me. I was asking to show me what they play that is so much more than sirius as I dont own XM, I was serious if someone could elaborate that I would jump if convinced. a little defensive are we? i think you took me the wrong way. I was making a point. XM recievers are quite cheap now.

Hair Nation is a great station and listen to it all the time. infact I was listening to it poolside. they do play alot of jackyl too and dont usually hear a repeat of them either. Im with you blu, alot of depth on hair nation.

love hearing kings X and wasp. they did play king diamond the other day too. wasp was never heavily played on FM even back in the day but you did hear it once in a while. I think i seen more wasp played on mtv(HBB) than on the radio. sirius hair nation plays alot of wasp and again not alot of repeats.

mylan

Screenwriter
Ummmm, sorry about that Ralph. I think what set me off was your statement that your FM stations played Love is like Oxygen and that it wasn't a big deal....well, stations around here suck vigoriously, I have neither XM or Sirius but I think that XM leads in hardware. I am thinking about whole house audio and XM has the Polk receiver and also the Russound. I have not seen that with Sirius so it makes sense to me to go with XM. I'm glad you enjoy Sirius, whenever I get around to it, it may work for me as well. Peace out....

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
NP, reason I picked sirius was for the football. :)

if I wasnt so broke I would try XM to see whichi like better. maybe I still will for a trial. $50 for a reciever is dam cheap!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Very true. The Sirius bashers (XM fanboys) always say that Sirius is FM without the commercials. Actually, it's FM with 10x the playlist diversity (much more than that on some channels like Jam On and Disorder) and five times the station variety. That's not enough for some people, so they can go to XM with 100x the playlist instead of 10x. Neither have the limited playlists and genres of FM.

If you are interested in something way better than FM for music plus NFL and great exclusive talk, Sirius is a great way to go. If you want even greater diversity of music and don't care about the other stuff, go XM.

And no matter which you like, pray that both stay in business.

If you want something that

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator

I haven't signed to satellite yet but I bought the Sirius Sportster system because the boombox has an auxiliary input (which I used at work with my CD changer)

It says it's 5 watts but it's a great sounding 5 watts :emoji_thumbsup:

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
let me preface this first by saying I don't have cable because there's too much to watch and too little time to do much else, plus it's getting incredibly expensive.

I've now had the Sirius Sportster Replay for 3 weeks and it goes with me wherever I go. To all the naysayers about Sirius and their music, I turn my nose to them because I love the music being played. Do they loop, sure, but far less than radio and they play tons of music styles if I'm lucky I hear on college radio stations. For all the people who say that Sirius' music doesn't have enough variety well I ask them what kinds of music do you listen to? Here's what I listen to

Techno, Electronic, and Old School Rap
Any kind of DJ'd music
90's Alternative, 80's alternative,
Acoustic Rock, R&B and Soul
Funkadelic, Jam, classic rock and roll, punk
Jazz (classic and modern and Swing)
Classical (doesn't matter)

Yeah, everything but country really...

So what does Sirius have for me?
2 classical and 3 jazz stations that more than suffice.
Left of Center for Indy rock, Alt Nation for 90's alternative, First Wave for 80's alternative, three really good electronic stations that do prog,trance, breakbeats, remixes, and ambient electronic/music.

I've got all the classic rock and roll I need, and a new coffee shop station is coming out, plus the reggae, blues, etc.. so if I really feel that there's repetition, i just switch it. Everything else is bonus. I am more than satisfied with the variety

I blocked all of the useless channels to me: country and all of the news (Except BBC and NPR) and religious stations and made it my new entertainment machine catered to what I like.

PLUS
Sure I love stern, and have been a fan for over a dozen years. I can't wait for him to get on Sirius. You can bet that he made the decision for me, but I wanted to reap the benefits of the sports packages so I bought it early. I can still get the baseball games I want in on AM radio, but I love having every NFL game at my disposure, and I get more things done instead of watching every game. I get any college football game I could ever want, plus Raw Dog Comedy is a time-killer, 4 hours straight on Labor Day!

I've listened to the NFL channel and ESPN radio nearly every day since having it and it never gets old. So I honestly don't need Fox Sports Radio whose sports personalities I hate. I can still get Jim Rome for free and I can't wait for the NBA so I can follow my Cleveland Cavs and Denver nuggets while living in Detroit. And I think it's cool they cover some other sports that's not the big three too... A definite edge for sports programming and talk/entertainment for Sirius in my opinion.

HardWare
Would it have been nice to wait for a portable? Sure, but I'm not going to spend a couple of hundred dollars for it. I'll wait for the bugs to get worked and for them to come out with one that is reliable. I got the Sportster Replay and it totally fits my needs, and once I found a use for the 44 minute recording ability (listening to regular radio for Jim Rome or Howard Stern and listening to Sirius on the long commercial breaks rule!) and who needs 4 hours of recording time, I just plug my minidisc recorder into it and record tons of hours and archive it that way.

So not denying XM's great hardware, but it's still overpriced for me, and for the type of listening of music, the sports packages, and sports coverage, there is no draw for XM for me. One thing that it has actually, and that's the Cinemagic, but I guess I can still buy CD's for scores and soundtracks. I hope that XM continues as good as it has, as I do hear good things about the music programming but I think Sirius has an equally good but different package. Competition is good, but I felt that I needed to speak for the Sirius fanboys too because Sirius gets way too much bashing for my liking on this site.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ernie,

Thank You for your input. Good read.

Part of the Sirius bashing here is directly
my fault, I'll admit.

I had very bad experiences with Sirius and
their management team well over a year ago.
It's a long story, but the short of it is
that I actually went to their studios and did
a radio show only to have them botch it up
quite badly. Their only goal in the affair
was to get positive press on this forum.

Again, long story, but it greatly affected
the way I look at that service and its management.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Ron,

That's awfully big of you. That's a bummer that you had a negative experience and I've read most of your postings over the recent months. I know how that can sway you one way or the other. And as a journalist I know how people can have alterior motives just to get positive press.

I knew once Howard made a decision that that was where I was going but to what he said to his listeners is that the best thing in moving to this format, and having to pay for it is the advantage of everything else you're getting. And it's not just him, there's a lot of really cool things. I still listen to a few local things for radio but very little since my satellite purchase. I hope that both companies can stay strong and find the support to make a big dent in clear channel and in the way people value radio like they once did.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Arman,

Glad you are enjoying the best of both worlds.

Keep us up-to-date on which service you are
enjoying more.

DaveSarcevic

Agent
You guys are forgetting that Howard Stern will be at Sirius in Jan 2006. I dont know about you but I cant wait. IT will be nice to hear mature adult humor without the FCC or right wing conservatives butting in. Howard Stern is a genius!

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
Ron, I'm glad you explained your reason's for negativity with Sirius. I had XM for about 2 years, prior to switching to Sirius. I used to listen to Alt Nation, and within a four hour block, I would hear repeats. That is so wrong, on many levels.

I get to listen to Sirius from 6 in the morning, till 6 at night. I have the Sportster that sits in a cradle in my car, then I take it out and stick it in a cradle at work. I tend to listen to the Vault, and yes, I've heard a majority of their playlist, but every once in a while I'll hear a song I haven't heard in quite sometime. From channel 16, if you go up our down the dial, you can find music you'll like.

My wish for Sirius would be that they play old and new music on one channel. I hate that they don't do that. Yes, I know about Spectrum, but they play to many girl bands, who just don't rock out enough for my likings.

Also, I wish they would get rid of the annoying sound effects, and station jingles, and just play music. That's what I paid for...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks