What's new

hunt continues: speakers for $300 (1 Viewer)

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
AS the hunt for my room's stereo continues...

I need some advice on speakers.

My budget is $300, and for that, I've basically found a pair of JBL S38s. Is this the best I can do?

THe system will mostly just be used for music...

I'm gonna pair it with a NAD 350 amp and marantz cd player.

So, whaddya all say?

PS.. the speakers will later be used as rear surrounds in a comng soon HT for the home...

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
Jalal:

If you like forward sounding speakers, I highly recommend Paradigm Mini Monitors. I really think that these speakers may be one of the best bargains going. Great detail for th price rang and suprisingly deep bass for a bookshelf speaker. That said, I have also heard that Axiom makes an excellent speakers in this price range.

John

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
I would look in the used market in that dollar range. You should be able to find some Infintiy RS3's or some Polk RT35's . I have put systems together for friends using both of these loudspeakers and they sound great. A lot of Bang for your Buck.
$0.02

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I have not heard these, they still may be worth a listen as you can do so in-home for 30 days, FREE. They will even cover the return postage, so you're not out anything but the experience. Here is alink to a thread I posted earlier which has 4-5 professional reviews.(scroll down about half way for links)
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=51433
The older model, Edge Audio 502D can be had at Amazon.com for 299.88, with free shipping, plus you can usually find a $20-$30 off coupon. I think you'll have to pay them return postage though. You can also just go through aperionaudio.com and get the newer 512D delivered for 378.00.
If you check audioasylum, they have picked up some pretty good reviews there too.
I've ordered (3) of the 512D's that I'm going to put head-to-head with my Paradigm Studio 40's.
Good luck!
Phil

DwightK

Second Unit
Another option if available in your area is Phase Technology speakers. Not real common around here in HTF as they aren't sold on the net and don't have many distributors but the company makes the soft dome tweeters used in many speakers. Price is right as well. For 300 should be able to find 2 PC1's or 2 Teatro 6.1's which would do you well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would look in the used market in that dollar range. You should be able to find some Infintiy RS3's or some Polk RT35's
In that price range, these two speakers don't stack up to the Paradigm Mini Monitors, so I'll give the Minis another vote. Easily one of the best speakers at this price point (and the reason why I bought them), though they MSRP for $350, they will be worth it.

Energy e:xl's aluminum tweeters are far too bright for my taste.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
wowza...

the suggestions are all over the place...

So.. you think the mini monitors are better than the S38s?

I'm going to try to get a listen sometime this weekend...

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I to have been building my HT on a budget.

My advice is to shop and shop hard to get the most bang for your buck.

I would rather buy a used set of high end speakers then to buy something lesser because it was cheap.

With Ebay, uBid and all the classified sections on all the forums there are some GREAT deals on new and used quality equipment.

Example:

1)I bought my Samson S1000 off of Ebay as a manufacture's refurb. Lowest price on the internet was $399, I paid $300. Yes it has some scratches on the case but powers my SVS sub just like a new one and in the bottom of the cabinet you can't see any of the scratchs anyway.

2) I bought a NEW Aura center channel speaker selling for $180+ on ubid for $44 and that included shipping.

Point being, don't let your budget control your buying decisions, let your tastes and likes do that.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Ted:
Absolutely! Used speakers are a great idea when you are on a tight budget. Why have budget sound when you don't have to? I strongly recommend checking here as well:
www.audiogon.com

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I heard the JBL S38 and the Paradigm side by side.. Both were great sounding with the edge going to the JBL for HT with their strong midrange. Music was quite a bit better on the JBL too. The Mini's were a little muddy in comparison regardless of where we placed them. These were demo-ed on Yamaha and Denon receivers and on a McIntosh preamp and amp. Of course the MC made everything better. The Yam sounded much better on both speakers than the Denon. IMHO I must add........

Either of these will do a good job for you in HT especially with a good sub handling the low end.

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
Go buy the Axiom M22tiSE blems for $320 delivered from axiomaudio.com. I saw Marc of Audioshop selling a demo pair of the M22ti's for US$270.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks