What's new
World Wide Stereo

HTPC vs "internet connectable" (1 Viewer)

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
Right now, its all the rage for new televisions to have internet connectability... but from reading the descriptions of "internet connectable" on Bestbuy.com it looks like the connectability is limited to whichever services they specifically allow on the television.

Now, I can save quite a bit on a TV by getting a slightly older model. For example, Best Buy sometimes has a Panasonic 50" Veira on sale (1080p) for about $800 or so.

[Edit: I think they no longer stock that model, and only carry the internet connectable version now.]

So... if I added an HTPC, it would seem like not only would I connect my TV to the internet, but frankly I'd be able to pretty much have any internet content I'd want on the TV.

Ok, the HTPC is an extra expense, but weighing the pros and cons, I should be able to put together one for a reasonable price. -AMD Fusion chips are really targeting the HTPC market.

I have zero desire for 3D TV, so thats not a problem.

Like I said, a HTPC should solve the internet connectability problem and not be constrained by what a manufacturer dictates.

Am I wrong?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
Wanted to mention: Reasonable is maybe $1000 dollars. I'm planning on buying a nice Klipsch speaker package with subwoofer and reciever: http://store.audioholics.com/product/3066/66226/klipsch-rf-52-ii-home-theater-package

Why do I want to spend less on the actual TV, since that is arguable the main point of a home theater, it mearly boils down to not wanting to pay for something I already plan on getting with the HTPC.

But the question is a valid one, since I'm not nessesarily going to get the HTPC immediately at the start, and if "internet connectable" means I can access anything on the web, then I might skip having the HTPC for a much longer time.

I don't have unlimited funds, so shaving $$ here and there can end up making my system cost much more reasonable.

Investing in a good speaker system is paramount, since speakers can last a lifetime, but televisions invariable don't.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you listened to the Klipsch speakers? Some people find horn tweeters fatiguing during long listening sessions.

You are correct that "internet capable" electronics only connect to specific services. For example, my Samsung Blu-ray player works with Netflix and Blockbuster streaming video as well as Pandora music streaming. It will also connect to my You Tube account but won't play HD videos.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
An HTPC gets internet to your PC regardless, but I'm not sure what your goal is here... HTPC is much more then just internet to a TV....

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
Originally Posted by Robert_J

Have you listened to the Klipsch speakers? Some people find horn tweeters fatiguing during long listening sessions.

You are correct that "internet capable" electronics only connect to specific services. For example, my Samsung Blu-ray player works with Netflix and Blockbuster streaming video as well as Pandora music streaming. It will also connect to my You Tube account but won't play HD videos

Thanks, I'll have to do more research into what the best speaker is for me. I don't plan on listening to my surround sound LOUDLY, as suggested when using horn tweeters.

[Edit: Then again, I do like the idea of being able to blast the house when watching say.. Star Wars hexology (coming to HD about in time for the holidays 2011)

Boys with Toys!!!!

I doubt it would fatigue me though. I've been working in factories for many years, and my military days was rather LOUD tanks and stuff. Written in large letters was to use hearing protection in the tanks, but I never once seen the military handing out ears plugs for anything other than a fire range or live fire exercises. ]

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
Originally Posted by mattCR

An HTPC gets internet to your PC regardless, but I'm not sure what your goal is here... HTPC is much more then just internet to a TV....

I presume I'd have a Blu-Ray player in it, and use an *NAS to save video files and access my music files, etc. The HTPC would most certainly be an integral part of my home network. An NAS system would be the ideal solution, that way all computers in the house could access the files in a central location. I"m not actually counting that as part of the cost of the HTPC though. In the interim I'd have to buy an inexpensive Blu-Ray player though. Need to be able to watch some HD content. LOL

*NAS= network attached storage

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have a hearing loss in mid range frequencies. For what it is worth I found Kilpsch speaker fatiguing after a few minutes of listening. If you have a hearing loss it could be across the entire hearing range or it could be in specific frequencies, You should listen to a speaker before you buy to see how it works with your hearing loss.

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon
Ok, I"ll have to see about doing something else other than Klipch then. Seems like that was the best deal though. Not too high cost, good quality speakers, awesome subwoofer, and a nice reciever.

It will be either the holidays or maybe even next year before I get the surround sound, so I'd image the package deals at audioholics will change by then. Maybe something that doesn't use horn tweeters.

I'll have to go to the local AV store and ask if they have Klipch speakers set up still, and actually sit down an listen to it. Its not the better speakers though, just the lowest prices surround sound system KIipsch offers, so not sure if it even has horn tweeters at that price range.

BTW, when I mentioned $1000, I meant I wanted to keep the HTPC under that.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Eagleclaww

just the lowest prices surround sound system KIipsch offers, so not sure if it even has horn tweeters at that price range.
Look at the picture of the speakers in your link. The square thing at the top of each cabinet is the mouth of the horn tweeter. In fact, if you click the link for the individual speakers, you will see descriptions like "Enhanced 1" titanium horn-loaded tweeter". Looking at the price for individual speakers, you can beat it with Elemental Designs - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=0&products_id=972 If you go through their package builder, you save 15%. Pay via Dwolla and save another 3%. Free shipping. No sales tax unless you are an Iowa resident. Also, cabinets are cut and hand assembled in their Newton, IA factory. If you want to go crazy, they will even do custom orders if you can pay for them.

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Klipsch subs are average at best and don't have a good price to performance ratio.

What makes you say that Robert? Im not trying to start anything here but truely wondering. I have a Klipsch Synergy 12" thats been going strong for over 5 years now and havent had one issue and it gets loud and low.

Eagleclaww

Auditioning
Real Name
Anon

Klipsch subs are average at best and don't have a good price to performance ratio.

Look at the picture of the speakers in your link. The square thing at the top of each cabinet is the mouth of the horn tweeter. In fact, if you click the link for the individual speakers, you will see descriptions like "Enhanced 1" titanium horn-loaded tweeter". Looking at the price for individual speakers, you can beat it with Elemental Designs - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=0&products_id=972 If you go through their package builder, you save 15%. Pay via Dwolla and save another 3%. Free shipping. No sales tax unless you are an Iowa resident. Also, cabinets are cut and hand assembled in their Newton, IA factory. If you want to go crazy, they will even do custom orders if you can pay for them.

The whole idea of the bundled deal with audioholics is that you get a very large savings by getting the bundled deal. Something like 45% savings over buying individual pieces. In any event, I'm sure Klipsch is still a very good product. I just need to see if it fatigue me, like some of the reponses to this thread have suggested. Otherwise, I've talked to a couple of different electronic stores that specialize in Home Theater, and both said Klipsch is very good.

You can debate till the cows come home about which is the best. But ultimately its going to boil down to price/performance, and the deal at Audioholics is pretty nice. I couldn't afford that setup any other way. If I wanted the best, I'd have to win the jackpot of a major lottery. ROFL.

But for my pocketbook, sans having fatigue from horn tweeters (which I'll try really hard to find a place that I can listen to those), its a nice deal for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks