What's new

HTPC remote control potential (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I played with one of these http://www.viewsonic.com/smartdisplays/ at CompUSA the other day. I couldn't help but think how the 10" version would make a perfect wireless (built-in 802.11b) touchscreen remote for a HTPC. It's expensive at $900 but with a good HTPC front-end it would be a great way to control things from the couch.

And really, the $999 isn't too outrageous considering the level of convenience. Especially when you consider the price of some high-end remotes on the market.

Anyone using one of these for HTPC control?

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Camp: I'd save your money. You can get an iPaq and a larger LCD monitor, and a wireless keyboard; and still have some money left over for other uses.

I don't think the AirPanel offers any compelling advantage over a Pocket PC/wireless keyboard as far as remote HTPC functions go. I would look elsewhere until they can bring the price down sufficiently.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The iPaq is just a remote though. As far as I know there is now way to control the HTPC directly (which is what can be done with the Viewsonic. That is not as direct as with the AirPanel. -amd with a LCD monitor near the seating area you have problems with running the cable, positioning the LCD in a convenient yet out of the way place.

The AirPanel can be one of two monitors for your HTPC (the other being your television). The ability to actually see your commands take place on the AirPanel would be a substantial advantage, IMO. All that, plus

I'm hoping to build a HTPC this summer and just may budget one of these guys into the project.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Camp: I'd still wait for the price to come down. $1000 is an awful lot for a 10 inch screen, even if it does come with remote/pen tablet functionality.

Plus, a keyboard/mouse combo can do a pretty good job of controlling the HTPC. I'd look at those as options first.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
heh you could almost just as easily head over to http://www.earthlcd.com and get one of there smaller surplus LCDs with touch and gerry-rig up a small computer around it and use that as your remote. . . and still would come up cheaper!

I do admit it would be a pain in the hide.

just buy a pda and get omniremote for it and an external IR (the internal IR is really weak on them). would yield almost as good results for half the price.

Hi all,

New visitor, first time post.

Camp, If you got this tabletPC, I would be very jealous. Not only will it give you a big screen for control, but you can also receive feedback from the HTPC using Netremote. Look here for development and directions http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=netremote. If you've got the budget, I would certainly recommend it. You will also be needing an IR transmitter for controlling other IR-based components. I would recommend Slinke, Redrat2 or the new USB-UIRT located here http://home.earthlink.net/~jrhees/USBUIRT/order.htm.

Obviously any PDA can be used with this setup but the tabletpc would be awesome.

For those looking for a lower cost solution try the Irman ($35 - www.evation.com) receiver which can be used with almost any IR-based remote.

Obviously, Girder http://www.girder.nl/ is a necessary part of any automated HTPC.

For wireless mouse/keyboard, I would recommend either the wireless Logitech (I personally prefer trackball for ease of use from a lazyboy) or the gyration setup. Way cool.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Not only will it give you a big screen for control, but you can also receive feedback from the HTPC using Netremote.
Ahh! Finally someone sees my point!
It's the two-way communication that makes this solution so attractive to me. I can click on an album I want to hear (stored on the HD) and "see" it playing in real-time. No need to squint at the LCD on the HTPC. Plus, I can do all this while reading HTF!!

How cool is that.

Bobby,

Thanks a ton for the link to the thread at AVS. It looks like there is a wealth of info there. It appears some version of two-way communication is possible with a PocketPC device via TCP/IP. That might be a very nice solution as well.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The .pdf file on the Viewsonic site says "under 3 pounds".

They sell an optional stand/recharging station too. I would put the stand on a nearby coffee table and give it a regular home when not in use.

Whoa...I'm really thinking about this...

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Camp:

I'll say it again.

WAIT UNTIL THE PRICE DROPS.

This is a new technology. While it does seem like a good idea, I think $999 is a little too much for a 10" screen. I'd wait until the price comes down a couple of hundred dollars or wait until $999 gets you a 12" display, which seems like a more reasonable price. I just think that you'll be kicking yourself a few months down the road if you end up getting this thing at the current price.

Camp, since Brian is the angel, I'll be the devil...

GO FOR IT. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE:D

Four additional points:
1) I'm not sure, in this instance, that a larger screen is better. Seems to me that 10" is the perfect size.
2) Waiting on technology (either waiting for new breakthroughs or waiting for price drops) is a never-ending game.
3) Spending $1000 is way to much to spend on a remote control. So is $900, $800, $700, ... With a Pronto 1000 available for $100, what else is really, really needed in a HT remote? Sorry Crestron :frowning:
4) First one on your block. Way, way cool. Very fun toy. Can report to us how it goes:)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
FYI, There is a 15" Air Panel for $860 on ebay today. Do the search (I know posting the auction is not allowed). I would like to hear more about this as well.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else reading this thread and are amazed but at the same time way too scared to set something like this up? :) I'd love to get something more "streamlined" that was made with the purpose of HTPC control in mind, but that's just lazy 'ol me.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Then you might want to look at the new iPronto. It's around $1400 and has more direct control.

Read the thread over at AVS. There are a lot of people doing this already.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Camp,

I've been looking at doing the exact same thing as you and have had my eye on the viewsonic smartdisplay for some time now. I see every advantage you see. :)

My current setup has a HTPC, 15" flat panel monitor, wireless keyboard, mouse, and a projector. The keyboard is big and clunky to be used as a remote. Come on guys, who are you kidding? I also don't get the argument of "too much for a 10" screen, wait to get a larger one". Again, who are you kidding. Do you really want to be sitting on your couch holding a remote with a 15" screen? I sure don't. The 10" viewsonic seems to be the perfect size right now. It is sleek, light, and actually fits on the coffee table.

I am waiting for the price to drop though but for those with the money I say go for it. Complete control over your HTPC with a wireless, touchscreen display? That is a no brainer. There is a program out there built just for this type of setup. I saw it in the latest DVD Etc. magazine and they actually showed a picture with it running on this viewsonic. It is in the remote rundown. I don't have the magazine with me to tell you which app is was.

Just look out for those sales! I'm sure these things will start dropping in price and as soon as they do I'll pick one up. Just remember that you aren't just buying a remote control, unless you are buying a $500 pronto. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks