Which ATI AIW type video cards for me?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris PC, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

May 12, 2001
    I am looking for an AGP card to use that will do the following for me:

1) Capture (including video capturing) so I can make DVD's of video camera tapes
    2) Video editing. I guess this is the work of the CPU and software?
    3) Play 3D games. Won't play lots but want to play on my front projector with friends a few times.
    4) DVI output would be handy for future LCD monitor and/or upgraded LCD front projector
    5) HTPC experimenting and curiosity (my HT is built with regular AV compents and it standalone and will likely stay that way)
    6) All in one agp card without an add-on PCI capture-tuner-type card, but I'll consider it

Things that aren't super important to me:
    a) TV output - If I output to anything, its going to be my front projector
    b) Dual output - may be handy but right now its not, maybe in the future if I have a couple of LCD monitors
    c) remote control

Ok, so here we go:

Since my Matrox G400 max won't work due to the BIOS needs of my MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum for my AMD64 3000+ winchester CPU, I'm looking at trying one of the following ATI AIW video cards in my K8N Neo2 Plat. I don't have lots of cash right now:

Permanent solutions (saving up for one of these)
    ATI AIW agp video cards
    9800Pro-DVI but no dual-vga
    9700Pro-DVI but no dual-vga
    9600XT-dual but no DVI
    and these two cards too
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT - good inexpensive value [VIVO, DVI and dual output (no TV tuner or remote)) probably different software from ATI AIW 9600XT) ]
    MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 GeForce 6600GT w/ DVI, VIVO - good value gives you faster 3D gaming than 9600XT but not as expensive as 9800 Pro

Temporary solutions
    9000 or 9200
    7500 or 7200 for $30 CAD max as a temp solution.

Are any of these cards incompatable with the MSI Neo2 Platinum or a card that I should avoid for any reason? Comments on any other cards?

I don't play 3D games now, but I'd like to try the odd game for fun. If I can't play the best latest games at the highest quality, I've live with it. I'm more interested in video inputs and video editing. Which ATI AIW or other cards should I look at?

I am thinking of picking up an ATI Radeon AIW 7200 as a solution for now, or getting another frickin motherboard...lol.. I could pick up the Radeon AIW for $80 CAD or less (probably $25-35 CAD). Whats it worth? What other cards should I consider?

Are there any obvious problems as HTPC's or otherwise that some cards have and that would make me want to avoid them? I know I said I won't be using it as my main HTPC but I need to do widescreen resolutions for PC gaming on my Panny front projector etc and I'd just like to know all the potential problems, and the bonus's of some cards.

If you feel there is a better combination of video card and capture-tuner type card out there which has benefits, feel free to comment.

thanx in advance for any advice

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

May 12, 2001
    Also, some people on other forums have suggested the separates idea again. I'll consider it. If anyone has comments on these capture-tuners, you can leave feedback here:

MSI [email protected]
    Flyvideo 2000/3000
    Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert w remote