What's new

HTPC Lockup (1 Viewer)

Ray Cendroski

Auditioning
I've been trying to install a sound card in my HTPC to give it a DD/DTS SPDIF digital output to my Denon receiver.
In the past I've had problems with the computer locking up when using the "suspend" feature. Under HP advisement, I don't use it anymore because there are so many issues with it. Tonight as I was attempting to install a new Montego Quadzilla card, it locked up again in the same fashion.
A soft re-boot doesn't work, and I have to cycle power. At this point I cannot get the computer to re-boot again. I push the power on button, and the drives spin and the hard drive light comes on, but a video wake up signal is never sent to the monitor, and no computer power up check beeps occur. It just sits there dead with the power on light.
The really strange thing is if I shut it off and let it sit for a day or so, it will usually power up ok as if nothing
ever happened and then work just fine for hours or days. I've been in contact with HP and all over the Microsoft site looking for an explanation. It seems to be hardware related, as if there were a capacitor slowly discharging or something. I have a feeling it is not booting up, because it thinks it is already booted. I replaced the power supply once, but it still wouldn't boot.
I always get the same story from HP - something like: "on power up wait for the blue screen and push the F8 key to get to safe mode". I can't seem to convince them that I can't do that. There doesn't seem to be any trouble shooting info to cover this situation that I can find.
Anyone ever run into anything like this?
Thanks,
Ray
600 mhz Hewlett Packard 8590C Pentium III
128 meg memory
Win98 SE
Nvidia GeForce2 GTS video
PowerDVD 3.0 with 0324 patch
Ampro 4200G projector
1024 x 768 @ 72hz

Ray Cendroski

Auditioning
Thanks Matt,
There's a lot of great info at the site. If I can get my PC to re-boot I'll give those drivers a try.
Ray

Ray Cendroski

Auditioning
I just wanted to pass on that I think I found the no boot problem. It turned out to be something pretty simple.
I was tightening all the connections and found that one of the motherboard screws was loose. I tightened it, and it powered right up. I never dreamed it would be anything that simple! It was never related to software after all. It only happened when I was moving things around inside the computer or pushing on an external connector.
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks