What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sorry I know this is the 3D thread but has anyone purchased all the Harry Potter movies in 4k uhd ?, I’ve heard mixed things about the transfers/quality etc but was just curious .
I have. And they are all improvements over the Blu-ray’s. The transfers range from good to excellent with terrific audio throughout.

Real Name
Damon Atkinson
You fools! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this "Never buy unknown German 3D titles without first consulting 13thman from that site you hate"

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Fun fact about that one:

It was originally intended to be released theatrically in 3D. But Warner was not happy with the quality of the conversion (they didn’t have enough time to do it to the studio’s standards), so the 3D release was pulled only weeks before the movie was scheduled to open.

Warner eventually released the subpar/unfinished conversion as a Best Buy exclusive and then later more widely.

But you’re not imagining that it didn’t look great. That’s why it was never put into theatrical release. I wish they would have had the time/money to go back and finish it. But I appreciate that they at least threw it on a disc for us enthusiasts to enjoy.

Part 2, which was released theatrically in 3D, is better.
My reaction is the opposite. If the 3D wasn’t good enough for theaters, why put it on disc for the unsuspecting customer to buy?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just ordered! I have all the HP discs, but did not know this one in 3D existed. There was also 3D in an earlier HP movie at the beginning for the first 20 minutes or so. I wonder if that was ever released in 3D blu.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just ordered! I have all the HP discs, but did not know this one in 3D existed. There was also 3D in an earlier HP movie at the beginning for the first 20 minutes or so. I wonder if that was ever released in 3D blu.
I think you’re thinking of Order Of The Phoenix which had the climax in 3D. I think Half Blood Prince was also released in 3D somewhere?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I think you’re thinking of Order Of The Phoenix which had the climax in 3D. I think Half Blood Prince was also released in 3D somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of -- at least on disc though it possible some digital service may have had it at some point or maybe a Broadcast version (UK especially). Only HP 7 and 8 had 3D versions

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It has been some time since I saw these movies. The scene in 3D took place at the Weasley house where HP was staying. All his friends have to get him out of there when Voldemort’s forces attack and there is a big “dog fight” on broom sticks.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My reaction is the opposite. If the 3D wasn’t good enough for theaters, why put it on disc for the unsuspecting customer to buy?

I'd think it's a money thing. They don't want to go to the trouble to release a mediocre 3D conversion but they think they can recoup the investment on home video...

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I have. And they are all improvements over the Blu-ray’s. The transfers range from good to excellent with terrific audio throughout.
Thanks for the info, I may pick them up as a bundle. My 55” 1080p Sony tv seems to have an amazing ability to show the Blu Rays so beautifully it’s been difficult to upgrade!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not that I'm aware of -- at least on disc though it possible some digital service may have had it at some point or maybe a Broadcast version (UK especially). Only HP 7 and 8 had 3D versions
From Wikipedia

[95]

The sixth film was simultaneously released in regular cinemas and IMAX 3D everywhere but the United States, due to a conflicting agreement in which Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was given a four-week window by itself in IMAX in that country. Therefore, the IMAX 3D version of the film was released on 29 July 2009 there.[96] The film's opening sequence featuring the destruction of the Millennium Bridge was in 3D.[citation needed] The film had been chosen to be screened at the 2008 Royal Film Performance on 17 November,[97] but was not shown. Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund chief executive Peter Hore noted he was "very disappointed" with Warner Bros' decision.[88]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There was also 3D in an earlier HP movie at the beginning for the first 20 minutes or so. I wonder if that was ever released in 3D blu.

Order Of The Phoenix (5) had the final battle in 3D when seen in imax. The imax presentation of Half Blood Prince began in 3D.

This was an IMAX exclusive which hasn’t carried over to home video anywhere.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
From Wikipedia]

The sixth film was simultaneously released in regular cinemas and IMAX 3D everywhere but the United States, due to a conflicting agreement in which Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was given a four-week window by itself in IMAX in that country. Therefore, the IMAX 3D version of the film was released on 29 July 2009 there.[96] The film's opening sequence featuring the destruction of the Millennium Bridge was in 3D.[citation needed] The film had been chosen to be screened at the 2008 Royal Film Performance on 17 November,[97] but was not shown. Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund chief executive Peter Hore noted he was "very disappointed" with Warner Bros' decision.[88]

Maybe I misread the other post -- I thought the 'released somewhere' was referring to a disc release.
It get confusing with posts bouncing back and forth between Disc discussion adn Cinema releases.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
You fools! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this "Never buy unknown German 3D titles without first consulting 13thman from that site you hate"

I have on numerous occasions said that Blu-ray.com is the place to get info on new and old 3D releases. It seems that the 13thman knows all. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
An old favourite tonight, Rise of the Guardians, wife’s choice but seen it many times before but .. wow this was astounding on the JVC, immense blacks, luxurious colours and the 3D just wraps it up beautifully!.
Early DWA 3D titles have great 3D. It's a tragedy what happened with the first 3 Shrek titles, but they still managed to turn out passable 3D.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Early DWA 3D titles have great 3D. It's a tragedy what happened with the first 3 Shrek titles, but they still managed to turn out passable 3D.

We rather like the Shrek movies in 3D, I had an issue with the first title on an LG tv many years ago though and ended up with a top LG engineer at my home to go through the problems, I felt honoured, I was able to show them the issues but I then changed brands of TV and never had an LG since.

I see your avatar, Deadpool. These 2 movies are amongst my favourites especially in 4k, fantastic entertainment.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How do I get an LG engineer to come to MY home? I bought their TV when I heard they were dropping 3D, it's great but I won't buy any of their other products because of that decision. (My friend's LG had a problem and they replaced it with a 2D model, so now he has several 3D movies he can't watch!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks