What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TBH, I find some of the latest 3-D movies on Blu-ray, mediocre at best and I'm not talking about the 3-D format.

Exactly. Mostly Marvel stuff.

And the titles coming through 3-D Film Archive are "B" flicks that are exceptional in 3D, but not very good content-wise.

Not their fault.

Really, the only 3D title that I am looking forward to is the second volume of 3-D RARITIES coming in 2020.

There's a forthcoming 3D Kino title that I have been hearing some good "buzz" about, "Long Day's Journey Into Night."

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Exactly. Mostly Marvel stuff.

And the titles coming through 3-D Film Archive are "B" flicks that are exceptional in 3D, but not very good content-wise.

Not their fault.

Really, the only 3D title that I am looking forward to is the second volume of 3-D RARITIES coming in 2020.

There's a forthcoming 3D Kino title that I have been hearing some good "buzz" about, "Long Day's Journey Into Night."
Well, I actually enjoy the Marvel stuff.:blush:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
As I said it’s all individual/ personal taste when it comes down to it, I like some of the old 50’s stuff but not all of it, some of the 3D has not impressed me at all, also if the movie content has no interest I don’t purchase.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In the meantime, that list stands (in my opinion) as the very best stuff this format has to offer. All the early 3D releases offered far better WOW value than what has been released in recent years.

You are right. As someone who had once proclaimed himself as "The 3D Guru," I have become completely bored with the latest format offerings. Blame Hollywood for the neglect. The magic is gone, sadly.

As I said it’s all individual/ personal taste when it comes down to it, I like some of the old 50’s stuff but not all of it, some of the 3D has not impressed me at all, also if the movie content has no interest I don’t purchase.
I agree with all of this, especially blaming Hollywood! They have screwed over the 3D format and fans of 3D. It’s almost as if the powers-that-be got together and said, “let’s introduce better 3D and then do everything we can to make it fail.”

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We all agree about the subjectivity in film tastes.

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Meandering Marvel superhero plotlines can get old, BUT as far as conversions go, it's hard to do much better than what Marvel has done over the last few years (Thor's latest being one particular highlight).

I just saw the nonfiction-based Russian film Spacewalker (2017) last night, which looked pretty fab. It's a shame there were no English subs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Meandering Marvel superhero plotlines can get old, BUT as far as conversions go, it's hard to do much better than what Marvel has done over the last few years (Thor's latest being one particular highlight).

Agree. I'm sure there are still people who poop on 3D films not shot native, but I think the conversions are just as good when done right.

I think it's virtually impossible to tell "real 3D' from "fake" anymore!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I stopped caring about real vs fake around 2014. X-Men Days Of Future Past was shot with real 3D cameras but no thought was put into 3D composition (the director even admitted that), while the first Guardians Of The Galaxy movie came out that year and had amazing 3D which was converted, but had been part of the filmmaker’s vision from as early as the scripting stage.

Gravity came out in 2013, was a conversion, and won the Oscar for Cinematography.

To me, it’s about the thought put into it and not the specific tool being used to bring that thought to the screen.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug

I'm very interested in Long Day's Journey Into Night, and just put in a blind pre-order as the price dropped today at Amazon.com. Anyone seen it yet who can comment? It sounds like a creative use of 3D, in that the 3D doesn't start until the story itself triggers it. Apparently the 3D is an essential aspect of the story.....

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm very interested in Long Day's Journey Into Night, and just put in a blind pre-order as the price dropped today at Amazon.com. Anyone seen it yet who can comment? It sounds like a creative use of 3D, in that the 3D doesn't start until the story itself triggers it. Apparently the 3D is an essential aspect of the story.....
The 3D starts one hour into the film and it's one continuous shot that lasts a full hour, as I recall. There are no invisible edits that I could detect. Our protagonist enters a theater and dons a pair of 3D glasses and you get the prompt to put on your 3D glasses, and the adventure begins...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Our protagonist enters a theater and dons a pair of 3D glasses and you get the prompt to put on your 3D glasses, and the adventure begins..."

Unless the disc encodes that part as a separate "title", which would cause at least a slight pause, you'll likely have to keep your glasses on through the whole thing as the TV will stay in 3D mode the entire time and thus the picture settings will be optimized for the glasses, appearing too bright without them. "The Mask" was like that.

I'll take any Marvel movie over most of the B-movies I was watching in 3D in the 80s and 90s.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Attraction is another (which I received in the same shipment). I don't have Viy yet, so I'll have to remedy that soon.
I've seen it in 2D and found it wonderful. typical russian fairy tale creatures, a dash of Lord of the Rings styles. The original filming of the story from 1967 is also worth tracking down. There's some nifty fx that remind me a little of the helping hands from Henson's Labyrinth.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Updated the list. First time in two years. Should show how impressed I am with what is being released to the marketplace these days.
It looks like Alita was the only addition. Not sure I would have placed it that high, though I do like the film.

Last edited:

VaporTrail

Grip
Real Name
Bill
I understand what you mean Ron, you're interested in quality native 3-D coupled with quality storytelling. There's not a lot out there. I was hoping though, there'd be enough recommendations in the 500+ pages to warrant a refresh of the list. I guess this is not the case? :(

I really enjoyed Iron Man when it came out in 2008, but haven't really been taken by subsequent Marvel MCU films. The stakes are just too low and CGI over-the-top. They also play to the lowest common denominator since they're targeted at general audiences, so not exactly cerebral. Just my opinion though.

I've now got 21 3-D titles in my collection. Through independent research and recommendations here, I'm doing my best to reach a goal of 30 titles I'd be happy to watch with fair-to-good 3-D effects. FWIW, here they are in no particular order. I hope it helps someone else doing their own research with similar tastes:

• 3-D Rarities (2015)
  • Alita Battle Angel (2019)
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
  • Dredd (2012)
  • Gravity (2013)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
  • How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World (2019)
  • Hugo (2011)
  • Jurassic Park (1993)
  • Life of Pi (2012)
  • Metallica Through the Never (2013)
  • Pacific Rim (2013)
  • Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
  • The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
  • The Lion King (1994)
  • The Mad Magician (1954)
  • The Polar Express (2004)
  • Titanic (1997)
  • Top Gun (1986)
  • Up (2009)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks