What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tonight was Doctor Strange in 3D. Very nice in 3D, especially the manipulation of the buildings and the dark dimension. The buildings were like a live action MC Escher drawing.

One odd thing on this disc (the UK 3D release), was that the left and right edges of the picture seemed to jump around depending on if there was an object in the foreground on that side. Hard to describe, but it was like there were a couple of inches of image missing from one side or the other from scene to scene (if I closed one eye, I could see the image all the way to the edge of the screen; when I switched eyes, the other frame seemed to end a couple inches from the edge of the screen). If it was a static background along the edge, the picture looked fine.

Not sure what's up with that. I'd never noticed this on any other disc, so I wonder if it's something with how the disc was mastered? The 3D seemed fine overall, it was just the left and right edges that seemed to be "missing" some info at times.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
They’re called “floating windows” - it’s a technique used when they post-convert 2D photography to 3D.

Most, but not all, conversions have them (all the Marvel movies do) but they’re particularly pronounced in Doctor Strange because of the amount of depth in the image.

Last edited:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
They’re called “floating windows” - it’s a technique used when they post-convert 2D photography to 3D.
Floating windows are also useful for native 3D productions, when the Director decides he does not want an illusion cut back to the depth of the screen if an object is captured via one of the lenses breaking the left or right side of the frame.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Most, but not all, conversions have them (all the Marvel movies do) but they’re particularly pronounced in Doctor Strange because of the amount of depth in the image.
Good to know. I'd never noticed it before. As noted, the film looked great. I only noticed the issue if I concentrated on the edges of the frame. I made a couple of adjustments on my equipment, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Good to know. I'd never noticed it before. As noted, the film looked great. I only noticed the issue if I concentrated on the edges of the frame. I made a couple of adjustments on my equipment, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

It can clearly be seen without concentrating on the outer edges of the frame, no amount of display afjustment will eliminate this pointless and needless issue.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched 'September Storm' projected at 140". Wow, talk about great 3D. I was so immersed in it by the time the credits rolled I forgot I donated to the Kickstarter. I saw my name and it really took me out of the film:lol:.

Then I watched Gravity. Love this movie more each time I see it. Great 3D, awesome presentation. At the end I just want to hug Sandra Bullock.....but then again who wouldn't;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched Fantastic Beasts last night in 3D. Pretty nice, with a few scenes that made me flinch as stuff was coming right at me.

I noticed the floating windows thing there again, but it wasn't as much as with Doctor Strange. Now that I know what it is, I'll probably notice it all the time. :unsure: I just have to remember: watch the center of the screen, not the sides. :)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Watched Fantastic Beasts last night in 3D. Pretty nice, with a few scenes that made me flinch as stuff was coming right at me.

I noticed the floating windows thing there again, but it wasn't as much as with Doctor Strange. Now that I know what it is, I'll probably notice it all the time. :unsure: I just have to remember: watch the center of the screen, not the sides. :)
Nah! You just need a bigger screen - then you can't see the edges.:rolleyes:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
R.I.P.D. 3D is set to be a Gold Box deal this evening at Amazon.Sale price is $9.99 (pre-sale price was $17.54). For anyone not familiar with the title, it's basically Men in Black for the supernatural, rather than aliens. I'd be interested, but I just ordered it from Amazon UK last week.

upload_2018-7-12_16-12-47.png

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I haven't watched any 3D in a little while now, just 2d on the TV as it's just to hot for a projector, I was hoping Sunday might be cooler but not according to the weather forecast. In my dreams I would win big on the lottery and buy a small plot of land then design a custom built house !.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I haven't watched any 3D in a little while now, just 2d on the TV as it's just to hot for a projector, I was hoping Sunday might be cooler but not according to the weather forecast. In my dreams I would win big on the lottery and buy a small plot of land then design a custom built house !.

No AC? It's pretty hot here also. I'm spoiled by my central AC.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
3D blu-rays of Spider-Man: Homecoming and Paranorman will be on Gold Box/Lightning Deals later tonight at Amazon. One starts around 8PM, the other about a half hour later, I think.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Well, Martin, we here in So Cal...we feel, and I mean really feel for you. When we're feeling super hot, especially at this time of the summer, we have only a few places to go to cool off. The beach...along with the 1000's that are thinking the same thing you're thinking, the mall...of course they are dying oul, your neighborhood swimming pool or your own pool.

Me, today will be 105-110 degrees, the pool is 82 degrees and my beer is slushy cold.

Good thing we have a/c and my HT has a A/C (mini-split{ductless a/c}) on the wall.

Well, I better get back to my beer, hot sun, Beach Boys music and my laptop.

God bless So Cal!!!!

John

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It is nearly impossible to live in the South without air conditioning, but I could understand why folks in the UK wouldn't feel the need for it. We have basically six months of hot, humid weather per year. They on average have a week or two generally speaking. This year has been an anomaly for most of the world in terms of heat. I really feel for those parts of the world that normally don't need air conditioning and find themselves in this most uncomfortable environment this summer. (I sympathize because my central A/C broke down three weeks ago, and I endured two days of hellish temperatures inside my house while my furnace was worked on.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I live in Southern Ontario, and the central air here runs from May to mid October. Canada has a reputation for extreme cold, but not here. If you look at a map you will see that Windsor Ontario where I grew up is on the same latitude as Northern California and well south of the New England states.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Has been warm here in the UK although not as warm as I remember 1976 in London.
I found the answer to the heat though, draw the curtains to cool the room and watch lot's of 3D on the video projector! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks