What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
The Lego movies are really not to our taste, infact I can't bare to watch them so I won't have any comments on the 3D!.
I think it's the way the characters move.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Only paid $9.99 for the Lego Batman and have yet to watch it in 3D. I was on a cruise and they had it in 2D of course on a giant LCD screen by the pool. I laughed a lot for the scenes that I saw - maybe 15 minutes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought the Lego Batman movie was better than the original Lego film. I didn't care for the first one. Just got the 3D version of Batman a while ago, but haven't watched it yet. Haven't seen the Ninjago film, either.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
See, I had the opposite reaction to Lego Batman. I saw it in theaters in Regal's RPX (which uses RealD 3D) and I thought it had some pretty cool 3D, but that the movie itself was unbearably awful (and I liked the first Lego Movie). But I couldn't wait for Lego Batman to be over!

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Whilst having this time on my hands I've gone through my blu Ray collection thinning out as I have no more space for new additions. Checking up on prices of 3D blu Rays on eBay I'm quite shocked at how little they seem be worth or selling for now, I can remember paying around £17-£20 per title for new releases in the uk over the years.

I was going to have a session listing some 2 and 3D movies next week but I'm not sure it's going to be worth the effort !.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I wrote a few posts back the DP on BLADE RUNNER 2049 said that the movie was not meant for 3D. I have double dipped on almost every 3Der that I have purchased and this one was no exception.

20 minutes into the movie, I turned to the wife and said, "I can't see crap and there's hardly any 3D!" :thumbsdown:

We both agreed...and this is the first time ever that this has ever happened while watching a 3Der...we turned it off and put the 2D in.

We really enjoyed it then, the colors were very vibrant and the audio was quite exciting even just in 5.1 DTS MA. Gave my system quite a workout and made the whole viewing quite an enjoyment, even with it 2 3/4 hour run time.

I just hope that THOR; STAR WARS and JUSTICE LEAGUE do a better 3D post conversion. :3dglasses:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think the DP actually said it wasn't meant for 3D. On his website, he mentions some specific things they did when shooting because they knew it was going to be presented in 3D. I believe he did say that he preferred the 2D, non-IMAX version.

The thing is, who's word should be final on the subject?

My opinion is usually that since these filmmakers know at the time of hiring that they're required to deliver a film that will be shown in 3D and IMAX, their preferences don't necessarily matter as much to me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll add that I enjoyed the 3D presentation theatrically but haven't been able to view the BD3D yet.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did you see it in IMAX 3D? I saw it in RealD and I wasn't very impressed. The film is dark as it is and watching it in 3D just made it darker. I saw the film on 4K UHD and thought it played much better. It certainly looked better to me than the 3D version that I saw in the theatre.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I see over on another forum that The son of Bigfoot Brazilian release should be available with English audio but it's £35.60 to the UK !. Does anyone know what the aspect ratio will be on that release ?.
Thanks.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I wrote a few posts back the DP on BLADE RUNNER 2049 said that the movie was not meant for 3D. I have double dipped on almost every 3Der that I have purchased and this one was no exception.

20 minutes into the movie, I turned to the wife and said, "I can't see crap and there's hardly any 3D!" :thumbsdown:

We both agreed...and this is the first time ever that this has ever happened while watching a 3Der...we turned it off and put the 2D in.

We really enjoyed it then, the colors were very vibrant and the audio was quite exciting even just in 5.1 DTS MA. Gave my system quite a workout and made the whole viewing quite an enjoyment, even with it 2 3/4 hour run time.

I don't think the DP actually said it wasn't meant for 3D. On his website, he mentions some specific things they did when shooting because they knew it was going to be presented in 3D. I believe he did say that he preferred the 2D, non-IMAX version.

The thing is, who's word should be final on the subject?

My opinion is usually that since these filmmakers know at the time of hiring that they're required to deliver a film that will be shown in 3D and IMAX, their preferences don't necessarily matter as much to me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll add that I enjoyed the 3D presentation theatrically but haven't been able to view the BD3D yet.

I'm sure we can all agree that unless the filmmakers, including at least both the director and cinematographer, when filming in mono plan shots they know will be post-converted, the end result is usually ineffective (or insert another descriptive term here). BR 2049 is a more recent example of this. I saw 2049, in order of viewing, theatrically in IMAX 2-D, the Blu-ray 3-D, 2-D Blu-ray, and lastly on 4K UHD Blu-ray. I was very near the sweet spot at the theater and don't recall seeing any issues in image quality. There's little added by the 3-D conversion save for a few scenes involving wide landscapes, certain objects like weapons and buildings and only subtly so. The 2-D Blu-ray is more sharp than the stereo version. However, the real jewel is the 4K UHD with its HDR10 grading. It's just a shame WB used the same standard aspect ratio it used with the 1080p. Deakins personally oversaw a 1.90:1 transfer of the film for IMAX but it was not made available for either the 4K UHD, standard Blu-ray, or 3D Blu-ray release. Another way the UHD disk excels is with its ATMOS track. One reviewer wrote "[it's] the kind of movie experience that encourages you to upgrade your sound system and turn up that dial as far as you can so you can bathe in the sonic joy of a smart and balanced audio track like this."

Here's what Deakins said about 3-D in his blog:

I think I said previously that I oversaw the timing of all the versions of 'BR2049' including the HDR version.

My preferred version is the standard 2D widescreen version. A problem I have with some viewing systems is their use of silvered screens. The image projected on a silvered screen lacks saturation as well as density as it falls off from a hot spot in the center of vision. This may not be so apparent for someone sitting in the optimum viewing seat but it is a compromise in terms of image quality wherever you are seated, though it maybe a compromise worth accepting if you are a fan of 3D.

He later posted a comment that makes his opinion of 3-D a bit more clear. It came in this brief exchange:

Even though I highly anticipated for the film, I may have to wait to view it in my home system than to endure the desaturated, darkened "3D" screen that gives me nausea and strains my eyes. I hope this gimmick that is "3D" soon dies out.

Roger responded:

I hope so too.

:(

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
It was fine on my FALD. Just too fine. Unfortunately, it's not very immersive and visually lags far behind the UHD.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I found the 3D completely unimpressive in my theatrical Real3D viewing, but then that is usually my experience with Real3D. At home on my Sony active glasses set up it was much better, although as usual there were scenes with cross talk. I did not find the film quality too dark. The movie as a whole is dark and depressing, so you can’t expect “Singing In The Rain” anyway!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I see over on another forum that The son of Bigfoot Brazilian release should be available with English audio but it's £35.60 to the UK !. Does anyone know what the aspect ratio will be on that release ?.
Thanks.
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 9.34.35 AM.png

No verification yet.
The specification on the back cover states "Video: 16:9 Widescreen", which could include bar area.
The German 3D release aspect ratio @ 2.4:1
The French & the Dutch 3D aspect ratio @ 1.78:1

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I found the 3D completely unimpressive in my theatrical Real3D viewing, but then that is usually my experience with Real3D. At home on my Sony active glasses set up it was much better, although as usual there were scenes with cross talk. I did not find the film quality too dark. The movie as a whole is dark and depressing, so you can’t expect “Singing In The Rain” anyway!
Crosstalk was rampant with my old Sony set too.

My LG OLED has ZERO ghosting or crosstalk. Not surprising since it’s never the disc and ALWAYS the display.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
2017 was the year I intended to replace my system with a new 3D OLED ...

I was kind of upset when LG pulled the plug on 3D. Now I'm thankful they did. I would have spent $3,500 for a feature I would never, ever use. My DLP projector for 3D is insane. Projectors are so easy to use, and better immersion for 3D(because of the massive image) that I'm surprised every 3D enthusiast doesn't own one....provided they can find the space.
They are cheap too.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I was kind of upset when LG pulled the plug on 3D. Now I'm thankful they did. I would have spent $3,500 for a feature I would never, ever use. My DLP projector for 3D is insane. Projectors are so easy to use, and better immersion for 3D(because of the massive image) that I'm surprised every 3D enthusiast doesn't own one.
They are cheap too.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm
Have you ever experienced the 3D from an LG OLED for comparison?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever experienced the 3D from an LG OLED for comparison?

No. I have been impressed with OLED video quality very much. I have not seen the 3D from OLED,

A comparison isn't necessary for me because I can't go back to a 65" for 3D. DLP has fantastic 3D quality, and at 140" it is just so much more of a cinematic experience than watching it on a TV display.
So perfect 3D, on a 65", or great 3D at 140"? For me, the answer is easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks