What's new

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Interesting push for theatrical 3D

Quoting cudzndrips: post #31 on another forum:
Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 2.15.24 PM.png
Uk cinemas have now introduced a new screening procedure. The first 2 days of screenings of major new 3D movies (such as Apes) will only be 3D showings, they'll be no 2D showings until Friday. And so if a movie is released on Fridays, the earliest 2D screenings will be Sunday. This is happening nationwide, at least with Vue cinemas but the manager said it'll be rolled out with other theatre chains. A few people queuing for tickets decided to leave the cinema instead as they didn't want to see it in 3D.

Personally I welcome the further push of 3D but can also see the box office may suffer on opening weekends. Especially if the first 2 days of The Last Jedi are only 3D.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We've been watching quite a lot of 3D lately, mainly the wife's choices and being Disney.
Cars 1&2, last night was Meet the Robinson's. Every time rewatch these I see a little something I missed previously, the animation is fantastic with eye popping colours and the 3D is a lot better than I remember too.

Recent discussions about the avatar sequels has been a prompt to re watch it this coming weekend, again my wife's choice!.

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Best 3d fUn I've seen this month have been the Road Runner cartoon extras following on from the lead via 3d Cartoon Short Locater. Great 3d fun to pad out your programmes

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Sorry but huh?

Road Runner 3D cartoon extras found in the Cartoon Short Locator. :)

3D cartoon-short locater for 3D cartoons released on Blu-ray 3D.

[Format "Blu-ray 3D Title" – (U.S. Theatrical-short release date) – (3D animated short).]

*Cell-drawn 3D animation:

1) Disney Digital 3-D Showcase Disc (Mitsubishi starter-pack exclusive) – Disney-3D Donald Duck (Chip n Dale) November (1953) "Working For Peanuts" short.

2) 3D Rarities – Casper: January (1954) “Boo Moon” short.

* CGI animation:

3) Monsters, Inc 3D – November (2001) “For the Birds” & September (2012) “Partysaurus Rex” shorts.

4) Monsters vs. Aliens 3D (Samsung exclusive) – September (2009) “B.O.B.'s Big Break” short.

5) Cats and Dogs 2: Revenge of Kitty Galore 3D – Road Runner: July (2010) "Coyote Falls" short.

6) Legend of Guardians 3D – Road Runner And Wile E. Coyote in a 3D-Looney Tunes Cartoon: September (2010) “Fur of Flying” short

7) Yogi Bear 3D – Coyote/Road runner: December (2010) “Rabid Rider” short.

8) Gulliver's Travels 3D & Rio 3D – December (2010) "Scrat's Continental Crack-up" short.

9) Cars 2 3D – October (2011) “Air Mater” short.

10) Happy Feet 2 3D – Tweety and Sylvester and Granny: November (2011) “I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat!” short.

11) Puss n Boots 3D – February (2012) “The Three Diablos” short.

12) The Maze Runner – March (2012) “Ruin 3D” short.

13) Brave 3D – June (2012) “La Luna” short.

14) Wreck It Ralph 3D – November (2012) “Paperman” short.

15) Monster University 3D – June (2013) “The Blue Umbrella” short.

16) Frozen 3D – November (2013) “Get a Horse!” short.

17) Mr. Peabody & Sherman – October (2014) “All New Rocky & Bullwinkle Adventure” short.

18) Big Hero 6 3D – November (2014) “Feast” short.

19) The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water 3D – February (2015) (Deleted Scene) = "Thank Gosh It's Monday" short.

20) Inside Out – June (2015) "Lava" short.

21) The Good Dinosaur – November (2015) "Sanjay's Super Team" short.

22) The Peanuts Movie – November (2015) "Cosmic Scrat-tastrophe" short.

23) Finding Dory - June (2016) "Piper" 6 min. 5 sec. short

24) Moana - November (2016) "Inner Workings" 6 min. 26 sec. short

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched GAMER...what a POS! There were a few spots that were okay, but it wasn't made for 3D. Don't buy it, buy something else.

It seems that I can't get my new Epson 6040 PJ dialed in so that I can enjoy 3D. Watched a few minutes of the 2D of JURASSIC PARK and it looked super. The 3D was a completely different movie color wise. Will not buy anymore post 3Ders, just what I have coming...KONG: SKULL ISLAND, GHOST IN THE SHELL and WAR OF THE APES.

It's nice having a 3D/4K projector, but getting it dialed in is really a hassle. I had it ISFed last month and the color was jacked up after he left. I only could get one movie mode calibrated and there are at least 8 movie modes, and each one costs extra.

Not a happy camper. :( :3dglasses:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Quick comments:

Gamer was converted to 3D using the same automated JVC equipment that Fox used for I Robot, Jumper and Predator. They're not much better than using the 2D to 3D feature built into the tv. In other words, they're not really conversations. You'll be shortchanging yourself if you compare those cheap efforts (about $30,000 each) to something like The Walk, which cost millions to convert, was always planned for 3D release, and is the most stunning thing I've ever seen. 3D conversions can be amazing and they can be good and they can be mediocre and they can be bad. Just like native shot 3D. X-Men: Days Of Future Past was shot native 3D by a director who admitted that he didn't pay any attention to 3D and just picked one setting for the whole movie, left the camera that way and never watched the 3D dailies. It looks flatter than most conversions. Ironically, one of its better 3D moments was one that couldn't be captured natively on set and was instead converted.

As for Jurassic Park, don't blame the color on the conversion. The 2D and 3D are based on totally different masters. The 2D disc is from an older master and many people were not impressed with the 2D BD when it first came out. They made a new scan and master of the film before converting to 3D, but never released the new 2D master on disc. I think the 3D looks substantially better than the 2D.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Re I Robot a film which I loved on 2D. Having acquired the 3D converted BR and viewed half of it we quickly sent it back as it had very little 3D visible. However I do enjoy feeding some of my old British early talkies through the Panny 2D to 3D sort of conversion as these old B&W squeakys we are never going to see in 3D in my lifetime.

At the end of the day for me 3D has really got to be what it says on the box, filmed in 3D as with the Classic Blu-Ray issues we have seen in recent years and when viewed a reel joy to behold, a feast of 3D nostalgia.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Re I Robot a film which I loved on 2D. Having acquired the 3D converted BR and viewed half of it we quickly sent it back as it had very little 3D visible. However I do enjoy feeding some of my old British early talkies through the Panny 2D to 3D sort of conversion as these old B&W squeakys we are never going to see in 3D in my lifetime.

At the end of the day for me 3D has really got to be what it says on the box, filmed in 3D as with the Classic Blu-Ray issues we have seen in recent years and when viewed a reel joy to behold, a feast of 3D nostalgia.

I have had no luck with simulated 3D on my Sony active glasses set up. I do not understand why the I Robot 3D conversion has this bad reputation. I find the long vistas of robots etc. are enhanced by the conversion. I hesitated to buy the disc because of its reputation, but am quite satisfied. Now maybe my satisfaction stems from purchasing it from the Walmart dump bin for $7.98!

Last edited:

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Watched the 3D Blu of KONG SKULL ISLAND, and thought it looked great for a conversion. Colors are beautiful with immersive depth. As for the movie itself, I skipped it in theaters because I so detested GODZILLA. However, it is so vastly superior to that film, in every conceivable way (including its 3D), that it's almost impossible to believe it was made by the same people.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched the 3D Blu of KONG SKULL ISLAND, and thought it looked great for a conversion. Colors are beautiful with immersive depth. As for the movie itself, I skipped it in theaters because I so detested GODZILLA. However, it is so vastly superior to that film, in every conceivable way (including its 3D), that it's almost impossible to believe it was made by the same people.
They had different directors. They shared a few producers and a few writers. I wouldn't say it was made by the "same"people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks