Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Edwin,

I could care less if Warner did a 3D Blu-ray of Casablanca
(though I know that is a highly hypothetical example).

The studios can do anything they want. It's a matter if
people buy it or not.

Colorized titles? I'm against it but there's always someone
at the lower end of the consumer chain that will buy it.
Apparently colorization wasn't a huge success as I see
little to none being done to any title these days.

Travis made a good point in saying that the studios can
upconvert all films they want in 3D. There will always be
a standard Blu-ray copy that can be bought alongside it.

But really, I am being rather optimistic that the studios
are going to be very smart about which titles they choose
to convert and the amount of care that goes into making
them look great on 3D. After all, they need to convince
the public that this is a good idea. I don't believe Disney
is going to do a subpar job with The Lion King or Beauty
and The Beast. In fact, given their reputation I would
bet both these titles are going to look damn good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was listening to NPR and a techi was talking about upcoming developments and he thought that 3D without glasses would start coming out in about 2 years. In fact, there's a hand held video game (forget which one) either out or soon to be out in 3DWG and smaller and expensive TV screens will soon be available.

I think I've seen this discussed some before on this forum, so this is not a news flash. This makes me more reluctant to invest in the current 3D. I'm also wondering, will the current 3D blu's be compatible with this new 3DWG technology?

If this new technology keeps moving forward and the public becomes more aware of it, it could kill the current 3D technology.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
Walt was a geek in his time: multiplane camera (some scenes in Sleeping Beauty have a 3D "depth" to them), surround sound. If todays 3D technology were available then, he would have been all over it, plus he was a business man. It would be one thing if they were "Lucasizing" the films and pretending that the 2D version didn't exist and were no longer making it available, but they aren't. I realize that YOU personally aren't saying this about Walt, but I think that those who are saying that are overreacting....
Agreed, his methods were ahead of there time, as a matter of fact everthing post has some form of dimentional plane to it, but this is going back all the way to Snow White

http://www.mouseplanet.com/fairytales/ft010622.htm intresting read,

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3D without glasses would start coming out in about 2 years

I think it would be much longer than that. In fact, latest
estimates are 5 years at the very least and I don't even
foresee it then.

They have accomplished 3D without glasses in portable
devices. The problem is, the technology is limited to
tiny screens. The other problem is that once you move
away from the center of the screen you lose the effect.
With that being said, Toshiba seems to be making strides
with displays that do not lose the 3D image at side angles:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1317736/Toshiba-unveils-worlds-3D-TV-glasses.html

Even if the technology was somehow perfect in 2 years,
which I highly doubt, I still think you are looking at smaller
screens and there would be viewing limitations. The prices
of the larger displays would be exorbitant and it would take an
additional 2 years to see costs come down.

I also don't think you will see the kind of depth that
the glasses provide nor can I possibly imagine how
objects would seem to leap out of the screen viewed
only by the naked eye. That concept sounds far-fetched
unless a holographic display is invented.

The only reason we saw current 3D displays drop so
dramatically this year was because people were not
buying them. There is a surplus.

Here is a statement from Toshiba on their glass-less
3D TV's:

[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]The new LCDs are "first step into the 3D future in the [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]consumer home cinema market," Toshiba European [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]marketing chief Sascha Lange said in a statement. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]"But it will take several years to develop larger 3D TVs [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]without glasses with screen sizes of 40 inches and [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]more at a yet reasonable price point."[/COLOR]

(Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20018421-17.html)

I am not in a position to promise you that the better
3D technology is just around the corner. I can only
give you my viewpoint based on all the reading I have
done about where this "glass-less technology" is right
now. I think that we are just coming into the stage
where you'll see them in laptops next year. Beyond
that is anyone's guess.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The glasses are a small price to pay to have large 3D images in one's home. For someone who was eager to experience 3D at home, I wasn't willing to wait.

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Anyone here with a 3-D player & television get to see the new Resident Evil movie yet? I thought the 3-D was amazing! Its this type of movie which makes the investment worthwhile, folks. I hope to see more of this type of thing being made.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Originally Posted by tbaio
Anyone here with a 3-D player & television get to see the new Resident Evil movie yet? I thought the 3-D was amazing! Its this type of movie which makes the investment worthwhile, folks. I hope to see more of this type of thing being made.
Yes, I have. And I agree that it's both a visual and sonic feast! I've seen most of the 3D "Top 10's" listed in the forum, and I'd bump one of the other 9 to give this title a place (near the top) imho.

If there's any ghosting, I didn't notice it. Lots of "in your face" action. And it's an entertaining "popcorn" movie to boot!

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
When a movie is shot specifically for 3-D, it's such a great viewing experience than what can be offered if its post converted & the Resident Evil Afterlife disc is solid proof of this. I was looking at upcoming 3-Discs on the way, but there's not much coming. The waiting game continues.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Anyone here with a 3-D player & television get to see the new Resident Evil movie yet? I thought the 3-D was amazing!

Should have my copy today. May have a review ready tomorrow.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by MattH.
The glasses are a small price to pay to have large 3D images in one's home. For someone who was eager to experience 3D at home, I wasn't willing to wait.
My concern is having to wear the glasses, but investing in a technology that might be replaced in just a couple of years. I know Ron doubts it will happen that quickly, but it's a concern. And I grew up in the 50's. Back than technology didn't change so quickly. You bought a TV and you kept it a long time. You even got it (gasp) repaired! Shocking. So I buy a current 3D TV, a bunch of 3D blus and 5 years later...obsolete. If you want the new tech, gotta replace both hardware and software. I am assuming the new tech won't use the old 3D blus.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny, I'm with you :) I bought two new TVs, new receiver and Blu-ray player in 2009. In 2010, everything became 3D capable. I'm not going to rush out and re-buy $3000+ of home gear for 3D. And even if 3D doesn't become obsolete per se, there's increasing news about making TVs do the heavy lifting so that we can wear passive glasses. So in five years, everyone may be replacing old 3D for new 3D to have lighter, more comfortable glasses. :)

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Originally Posted by DaveF
Johnny, I'm with you :) I bought two new TVs, new receiver and Blu-ray player in 2009. In 2010, everything became 3D capable. I'm not going to rush out and re-buy $3000+ of home gear for 3D. And even if 3D doesn't become obsolete per se, there's increasing news about making TVs do the heavy lifting so that we can wear passive glasses. So in five years, everyone may be replacing old 3D for new 3D to have lighter, more comfortable glasses. :)
I totally agree. One manufacturer has already announced that a polaroid 3-D system is just around the corner. Besides, any glass free system ever developed so far requires the viewer to sit in a certain position and usually a specific distance from the screen. The Russians were able to do this in the 50's. It worked but as you can see, it wasn't practical. I'm hoping the polaroid system will do the trick. All you'll have to do is save your glasses from when you go to the movies and you'll have enough viewers for a roomful of people.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jon Lidolt said:
I totally agree. One manufacturer has already announced that a polaroid 3-D system is just around the corner. Besides, any glass free system ever developed so far requires the viewer to sit in a certain position and usually a specific distance from the screen. The Russians were able to do this in the 50's. It worked but as you can see, it wasn't practical. I'm hoping the polaroid system will do the trick. All you'll have to do is save your glasses from when you go to the movies and you'll have enough viewers for a roomful of people.
The current 3D TV'S that use passive glasses only give you half the resolution of 1080p. Go to the bottom of this page for a review - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19763033#post19763033

I don't think 3D movies on TV with no glasses will ever happen. How is the display going to tell your left eye to only see what the left eye is supposed to see and vice/versa?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After reading that blurb, I'm assuming that Panasonic has secured exclusivity for any 3D home video release of the STAR WARS franchise. If they haven't, why would they be involved in any way with a SW press release?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Edwin,

I am very nervous about Panasonic's involvement in
all this as well.

I had hoped that any Star Wars release would be made
available to everyone. I hope the studio has not secured
any 3D deals with the manufacturer. Please, no.

It even seems awfully early to even talk about Star Wars
3D Blu-ray as the films were supposed to be going
theatrical first starting with one per year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Never say never but I'd be surprised if Panasonic has exclusive rights to Star Wars 3-D. LFL really only has the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies to make money from so, unless Panasonic gave them an insane amount of money, I don't think LFL would want to limit its ability to earn from Star Wars.

Now that I said, you can bet that I'm wrong.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Edwin,

I am very nervous about Panasonic's involvement in
all this as well.

I had hoped that any Star Wars release would be made
available to everyone. I hope the studio has not secured
any 3D deals with the manufacturer. Please, no.

It even seems awfully early to even talk about Star Wars
3D Blu-ray as the films were supposed to be going
theatrical first starting with one per year.
It does seem to be too early, but the TV manufacturers have chosen the exclusivity path and appear to be pursuing it rather aggressively. Star Wars is considered to be such a high profile franchise that I can see a manufacturer pursuing a deal on 3D home distribution even before Lucas does a 3D theatrical release. Maybe I'm totally off-base, but I just can't see any reason for Panasonic's involvement in any Star Wars press release if they haven't signed an agreement granting them exclusive 3D home distribution rights for some specified period of time. Gaining exclusive rights would be considered a big coup and they would be eager to announce it; although, judging by the comments being left behind, I think a lot of people are becoming very jaded toward Lucas's endless Star Wars re-releases and marketing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's possible that Pansonic just want to be the booth where the biggest announcement of the show is going to take place. Fox's booth seems to be the logical place for LFL to make the announcement but maybe Panasonic offered them money or equipment to do it at their booth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks