What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HTF Top 10's of 2004: Time To Throw Down! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Zachary Tait Freiesleben's Top 10 of 2004

Grand Jury Prize:
Before Sunset
Hero
Maria Full of Grace
The Bourne Supremacy
Miracle
Open Water
Spartan
Touching the Void
Friday Night Lights
Farenheit 9/11
The Aviator

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I'm right here! :)

Wow, you guys already looking for stats? Yikes, I expected a little breather 'til closer to Oscar nomination announcements.

I've had an *extremely* busy time at work lately, and I'm also helping out a friend with a coding project in my spare time, so I've had precious little personal time for movies and for the tracker.

I promise I'll get the stats here as soon as I can. I have to go through everybody's posts and enter the lists in my tracker - I kind-of slacked off during the year, so I have a LOT of films to enter in the database before I can even create the user lists. But once the administrative part's over it's a piece of cake to keep up-to-date stats.

I'll start on that admin task sometime this weekend, and, depending on how badly behind I am (last year someone had around 400 films in his list, and since it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to enter each film and all its attributes, that's like a good several hours of data entry), it's likely it'll be sometime during the week or next weekend I can post a list.

Plus, I still have to also catch up on all those Oscar films. I cringed when I read this year's list in Entertainment Weekly - other than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Incredibles, I don't think I've seen a *single one* of the films listed. Ouch.

Anyway ... I'm subscribed to this thread and monitoring it; I'll post the stats as soon as I have it ready.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I've updated my list with Million $ Baby. Maybe its the boxing fan in me, but IMHO, this is probably the best american film I've seen this year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Top 10 Films of 2004:
1)The Incredibles2)Garden State3)Spider-Man 24)Miracle5)The Passion Of The Christ6)Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story7)Kill Bill: Vol. 28)Spanglish9)Starsky & Hutch10)Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I usually stick to the software pages, but I have really enjoyed this thread.

I hope you all don't mind, but here are my picks:

1. The Passion of the Christ
Controversial or not, "The Passion of the Christ" is a beautifully crafted movie. The cinematography by Caleb Deschanel is a wonder to behold. I have viewed this film on four occasions, and I believe it to be a masterpiece. I look at most films at pieces of entertainment. Whether you share the values and beliefs that the film professes (or that its director professes), it is compelling viewing.

2. Kill Bill - Vol. 2
Our local movie critic here in Omaha didn't see either of the "Kill Bill" movies because he thought they'd be too violent (I think they need to hire a new person at the paper). "Kill Bill - Vol. 2" completes the latest Tarantino masterpiece. I must admit, I am a Tarantino fan. Vol. 2 has more of the trademark Tarantino dialogue and humor that we have become accustomed to. It is a film that is wonderfully realized and makes Vol. 1 a better film. Tarantino has the uncanny ability to take little vignettes -- sometimes material that would be considered B-movie trash -- and make it into high art. I dunno how he does it, but it is amazing. The best work Uma Thurman has ever done.

3. Miracle
This is where everyone laughs, but "Miracle" is one of the best sports movies I have seen. Kurt Russell -- often underrated -- does a solid job in his portrayal of Coach Herb Brooks (note: I had the opportunity to meet Herb Brooks and visit with him in 2000). The movie pushes all the right buttons and does a decent job creating hockey footage onscreen (not an easy task to do). Some will argue it is typical "rah-rah" Disney fare, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. Collateral
Tom Cruise as a likable bad guy. He has tried a "darker side" in other movies with, in my opinion, mediocre results. Michael Mann new all of the right buttons to push. There is more to this movie than meets the eye -- don't let the ending fool you. This film is really about the quiet desperation of adult males in this society when it comes to achieving dreams and goals in life. Cruise's character acts as an odd mentor to Jamie Foxx in the movie, but in the end, Foxx's life is changed (for the better) because of all he had to deal with in the film. Overall, and excellent crime drama.

5. The Life Aquatic -- With Steven Zissou
About four of us in the theatre actually found this movie funny. Personally, I love Wes Andersen's "weirdness" and I liked this movie because of it. I can safely say that I left the theatre having experienced something new -- you can say that too often. Bill Murray is a comedy genious (despite what his detractors say). It is a bit pretentious, but I thought it was compellingly bizarre.

6. Open Water
Yes, it is a low budget (really low) indie film. Very few films with a minimalistic story and budget have left me feeling "dazed" like this film did. As I sat and watched, I felt a terrific amount of anxiety. I wondered how I would react. I wondered how I would cope if put in the same situation. In all honesty, I feel that I might have reacted in a similar manner...which is very scary.

7. Spider-Man 2
I was so underwhelmed by the first "Spider-Man" that I was pretty "ho-hum" about viewing this one. The story was infinitely better in "2," and I actually wanted to see this one again after leaving the theatre. There is still something about Tobey Maquire that bothers me, but the material seemed to fit him better this time out.

8. The Incredibles
In many ways, this was the best "superhero" movie last year. The movie ran longer than most such animated fare (clocking in a nearly 2 hours), but it was nice to see Pixar do something that was (for them) actually a risk. This wasn't the typical "cute kiddie fare with some adult jokes" that they have made into an art form. The was a more fully realized (if not more serious) movie.

9.Garden State
Pure genius from Zach Braff. The relationship between Andrew and Samantha is really touching. I loved the bizarre comedy in this movie. It is really refreshing and entertaining. I missed this one at the theater, but had really wanted to see it. I have watched it three times since owning it on DVD and just love it.

10. Friday Night Lights
Billy Bob. He made a great coach in this movie. You know that a good movie has been made when you walk out of the theatre and say, "Huh...Tim McGraw was good in that." I hate to include two sports pictures (Million Dollar Baby hasn't come here yet and I will probably like that, too), but -- much like "Finding Neverland" -- the main star brings this up a level.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
2004 Top 10:

1. Before Sunset
2. Touching the Void
3. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. . .Spring
4. Million Dollar Baby
5. Hotel Rwanda
6. A Home at the End of the World
7. Oldboy
8. The United States of Leland
9. Garden State
10. Friday Night Lights

Runnersup: Intimate Strangers, Maria Full of Grace, Mean Creek, Untold Scandal.

I found that this year, there were only a handful of films I absolutely adored (my present Top 5). Lots of 3-star movies vying to fill out the rest of the Top 10; many could be shuffled in ranking on any given day or even replaced by a runner-up. My theatre attendance was way down from last year as well. (104 seen theatrically in 2003; only 78 this year.) Everything on the list was seen theatrically except "Oldboy".

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
THE BEST FILMS OF 2004 (BAR NONE)

1. Garden State
2. Closer
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Sideways
5. The Machinist

6. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
7. The Girl Next Door
8. Kill Bill: Volume Two
9. The Motorcycle Diaries
10. Shaun of the Dead

11. Team America: World Police
12. I Heart Huckabees
13. Kinsey
14. Spanglish
15. Super Size Me

16. Dawn of the Dead
17. Fahrenheit 9/11
18. Stark Raving Mad
19. The Terminal
20. The Butterfly Effect

THE FILMS OF 2004 THAT DESERVE A BETTER AFTER LIFE

1. Jersey Girl
2. Broken Lizard's Club Dread
3. Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
4. Eurotrip
5. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

THE WORST PIECES OF SHIT THAT 2004 BROUGHT US
1. Envy
2. The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
3. Alien Vs. Predator
4. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
5. Open Water
6. Shark Tale
7. Van Helsing
8. Along Came Polly
9. I, Robot
10. The Stepford Wives

11. Battle Royale II
12. The Clearing
13. Danny Deckchair
14. The Prince and Me
15. Soul Plane
16. Starsky and Hutch
17. Taking Lives
18. Wicker Park
19. A Day Without a Mexican
20. Seed of Chucky

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Just to let y'all know, I've begun the data entry today, and am about 25% through it. If the rate holds up I should be done tomorrow or Wednesday, and can post the stats then. Wish me luck! :)

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
1. The Passion Of The Christ
2. The Incredibles
3. Collateral
4. Spider-Man 2
5. The Manchurian Candidate
6. Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
7. The Bourne Supremacy
8. Finding Neverland
9. I, Robot
10. The Day After Tomorrow

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Note: I replaced "Finding Neverland" with "Garden State."

Note: If you haven't seen "Garden State" you really should. It is just a wonderful film.

Nick C.

Second Unit

Pretty much... except no inept politician gets elected at the end of the ordeal. It's just one of several annual threads, this one for HTFers to make their own top 10 lists and live the dream of the real critics (ie. Monsier Weinberg :))

Throughout the listing and subsequent discussion, Dana would compile various statistics tabulated from the top 10 lists and our 2004 movies watched (in the '2004 Films' thread). You can check out last year's as an example. Pretty straight forward explanation at the bottom of the table, thanks to all of Dana's efforts.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
1. FINDING NEVERLAND - A nearly perfect film. Fantastic performances from the entire cast and an engaging story makes for a very memorable movie. For the first time in a long time, I was close to shedding a tear.

2. NAPOLEON DYNAMITE - Surpassed Office Space as the greatest comedy ever. Unlike so many over-the-top comedies these days, its hilarity lies in the ordinary nature of it all - its about everyday things that everyone goes though and the low-key performances of everyone involved only enhance the humor. Reminded me of the brilliance of John Hughes' 80s teen comedies.

3. THE INCREDIBLES - Pixar's most intergetic and innovative film since Toy Story. The family dynamic adds a whole new level of complexity to the film, making it equally enjoyable for both older and younger people.

4. COLLATERAL - Evidence of Michael Mann's fantastic directing, this is the best drama/thriller I've seen in years. Keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, not through action, but through the powerful performances. Excellently crafted.

5. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - A thoroughly enjoyable experience. The music, acting, sets, and costumes are the best I could hope for in any musical. No, it isn't perfect, mainly because of the ininspired directing, but its still immesly entertaining and even haunting.

6. THE TERMINAL - Under-rated! One of the best character study movies I've seen in a while. While Hanks and Zeta-Jones do great jobs, I really think Stanly Tucci is the one that makes the movie. What would've been just an interesting set-up turns into a very engaging interplay of personalities thanks to his supporting "villanous" performance.

7. SPIDER-MAN 2 - Though it lacks a lot of the fun and energy of the first film, the story and acting is superb.

8. ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY - Yes, its extremely silly, but it made me laugh very hard.

9. 50 FIRST DATES - When I first heard the plot of this one, I really didn't think it would work well. However, Sandler and Barrymore do a wonderful job of mixing comedy with gentle drama, making for a sweet and sometimes very funny romantic comedy.

10. TROY - Many find it boring, but I really enjoyed it. It's typical Hollywood, but I found it to be a good time at the movies anyway.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
Been updating the Top 10 a decent amount over the past few weeks, but after having seen Sideways (now placed at #5), that may be my final list. (Maybe not if I see The Return or The Machinist, but who knows.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks