What's new

HTF REVIEW: What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (My Dad was right) (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Ron- As is frequently the case, I am quite intrigued by your review. As mentioned above, your reviews are always more "personal" than technical. I want to watch a movie that will mean something to me, not just one that will show off my sound system or television screen. Your reviews always seem to focus more on the experience of watching rather than complaining about edge enhancement or boasting about the LFE track. Not that such details are unimportant or ignored, but they're not the primary focus of your reviews.

In this particular case, just your header alone was enough to get me to read the review. As I read it, I was trying to imagine what it would be like to experience life with a film lover. You obviously "inherited" your love of movies, and it's your love of movies that make your reviews so enjoyable.

Are your movie reviews archived anywhere?

Please keep up the good work, and ignore the petty comments about free screeners. You more than pay for a movie with the work you obviously put into reviewing it.

Steve K.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I just picked this one up last week, a great little movie. I always remember this and Noboby's Fool with Paul Newman being two great "diamonds in the rough" from around that time. I have also come to like Ron's reviews. (i was a little hard on him when he loved "driven", sorry ron.) And i think ron has made a very good argument as to why he reviews screener product first. As to the "controversy" on that "other forum", i have no idea what that is. Would someone like to share?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I had a chance to see this film a few years ago for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised by it then, and to this day have to defend Leo's acting ability to those who have only seen Titanic or Growing Pains (just because someone is popular with young girls, doesn't mean that they suck).

The DVD has been on my shelf since release still wrapped. I haven't found the right time to watch it.

I'm glad you did. It's very special to be able to share great films with those we love. Even if we aren't sitting next to each other at the time.

ALSO: Regarding DVD of the year - the Moulin Rouge DVD set appears with a sticker touting it as "Best Video of the Year" but doesn't credit the source. Is this HTF or another source?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This is an excellent film, one of, if not Leonardo DiCaprio's best roll. I watched it many years ago on VHS, I think today I'll go buy it. Thanks for the review Ron.
Hey Martin, I'm the Ron your talking about, right? ;)
Peace Out~:D

Alex S

Second Unit
Ron,

Just curious, what is your other job that you work 8.5 hours per day at ?

Alex S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks