What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lion King (TOTALLY RECOMMENDED!!!) (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It does however show how Disney got more audacious for the Lion King alterations. I'm concerned that this Lion King release is the beginning of a trend for more and more "improvements".
You see, to me this is why I am bothered by this. Dinsye is constantly revising and revisiting thir films. First the censorship of Fantasia and the like, then minor touchups to Beauty, now substantial design changes (the crocodiles).

I'm not trying to be picky. I hate having to be negative about this. But I love films, and I want the film to be presented as it was made. Sure, include new versions if you want, but give us the original version. Or at least be honest about which version you are giving us. This is not the original theatrical version, so don't tell us that it is. It may or may not be false advertising legally, but it's definitely a lie. And I do not like being lied to.

Now, with regard to the Lion King - it's really only in the last couple of years that I have come to appreciate the Disney films. The DVD version of Beauty was the first time I saw that film, and when I watched it, I deliberately watched the original version, because that was what interested me. I watched "Human Again" seperately, and liked the song, but I have never watched the Special Edition as a whole. I want the theatrical version. Now I discover that I cannot see that? Same with Lion King? I saw that once, on video. Is that to be my only viewing of the original film? And sure, they're minor changes, but I can see them getting bolder, making more changes as time goes by, if we do not express concern at this.

Hopefully, the end of the IMAX releases (which I hear have not done well, and for which may of these changes were supposedly intially made) will signal the end of this revisionsm? I hope so. But I doubt it.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Who knows how confident Disney will get making changed in the future? And who knows what Disney will do in the future to any of their films?
As long as Disney makes changes to their films with the involvement of the original filmmakers (as is apparently the case with both Beauty & the Beast and The Lion King), I am fine with whatever they do in the future. I do not believe it is a great crime against humanity to change a film after its release. I do not think the sky is falling when a filmmaker dares to modify their own work.

DJ

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
This is a damn good presentation of a damn good film. If you don't see it as such, I'm sorry. You are missing out on a real treat.

Do I like some of the changes? Not all. Morning Report just doesn't feel right. I sensed something different about the crocodiles without knowing there was a change.

Do I like some of the special features? Not all of them, but I don't like all the special features on a lot of the DVDs I have.

If you have complaints about the way Disney handled this that's great. Post them! When you say the exact same thing in 10 different posts with no significantly new ideas - or even wording - you just make yourself look bad and waste the time of those reading the forum. When you start ranting and raving about how terrible this DVD is and how Disney is destroying every film they have ever made, I feel sorry for you.

The bottom line is this: I could get really worked up over these changes - but I'd rather be watching a DVD.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If you have complaints about the way Disney handled this that's great. Post them! When you say the exact same thing in 10 different posts with no significantly new ideas - or even wording - you just make yourself look bad and waste the time of those reading the forum. When you start ranting and raving about how terrible this DVD is and how Disney is destroying every film they have ever made, I feel sorry for you.
If anything, it's the other way around.

We've discussed the different changes (crocs, then the waterfall, talk about color). We've talked about IMAX. We've talked about different reasons why we feel it is wrong, we've disproved allegations that Disney didn't claim it is the original theatrical version. We've talked about changes to other Disney films, and the general trend. We've responded to the arguments about 'narrative' (I guess the Psycho remake is the same as the original to some of you, since it is a shot-for-shot redo).

If anybody is wasting the time of the forum, it is the people who over and over again have nothing to say but 'the DVD is great, so who cares'. But that sure doesn't stop them from saying it over and over and over again!

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Try telling that to the many HTF members who bought the altered Extended Edition of The Lord of the Rings and ignored the theatrical version.
Notice how I didn't put marketing decisions as something that films have value from. I think what people who say they want the "Original Theatrical Version" really want is the "product of the time" with the criteria above, and "Original Theatrical Version" is not always an interchangeble term in that respect.

I am more convinced that with LotR, as well as most other cases where a seperate director's or extended cut is released, that the extended cut is what is most representative of the intents of the creative talent at the time, and the theatrical version was more a product of marketing execs saying a film could not be too long because they believed it would cut into the profitablity.

Besides, aren't the Extended Editions going to become "Theatrical Versions" soon anyway. ;)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Sorry to change the subject, I was looking at the bonus material but couldn't find anything that showed who was cast as voice for EVERY character OR interviews with these actors...

Did I miss this feature somewhere or is there simply none?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
If anybody is wasting the time of the forum, it is the people who over and over again have nothing to say but 'the DVD is great, so who cares'. But that sure doesn't stop them from saying it over and over and over again!
That is one of the most ludicrous things I've heard in this discussion. This forum is not exclusively for complaining about releases, and somebody saying a DVD is good (even if there is dissenting opinions) is in no way 'wasting the forum time'.

Look, opinions vary, and some may like the changes, some may not. Complaining, or trying to get others to 'see the light' is not going to get any message through to Disney. If you are truly that outraged, felt lied to, think Disney is commiting a crime, then great, email them, call them, contact the FTC, start a class action suit. Constantly trying to convince those who are ok with the changes that Disney is evil, and that they are supporting 'revisionism' is accomplishing nothing and will not get any message of any sort through to Disney.

Chris

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That is one of the most ludicrous things I've heard in this discussion. This forum is not exclusively for complaining about releases, and somebody saying a DVD is good (even if there is dissenting opinions) is in no way 'wasting the forum time'.
You didn't think it was ludicrous when the more critical members were accused of wasting time. My statements were specifically in response to that accusation.

At least we are saying more than one thing.

The fact that you chose to respond to my message, and not the previous one, says volumes.

Mike_ROG

Grip
What is this Fantasia Censorship controversy that was spoken about earlier in this thread by MatthewLouwrens?

The quote is:

You see, to me this is why I am bothered by this. Disney is constantly revising and revisiting thir films. First the censorship of Fantasia and the like, then minor touchups to Beauty, now substantial design changes (the crocodiles).

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Clint B wrote on page 10 of this ongoing thread:
I have no interest in getting involved in the debate in this thread, but I do have a question. Is everyone else who experiences the "audio glitch"/"layer change" at the end of the new song having a line of dialogue from Mufasa cut out? I noticed it when I watched the beginning of the "special edition" but I didn't notice it when I watched the "theatrical edition." Any insight?
Yes Clint, I have noticed this also. This phenomena happens on both the "special edition" and "Theatrical edition" when the DVD is played on my Bravo D1 DVD player. It does not happen when the disc is played on my Camelot "Round Table" DVD player. It is very noticeable and very annoying when it happens.

Paul

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
What is this Fantasia Censorship controversy that was spoken about earlier in this thread by MatthewLouwrens?
I first heard about this in a commentary on the Letterbox and Widescreen Commentary. There's some good information on this over on that page (well worth reading), but basically in the Pastoral Symphony the film had black centaurs in a servant role. So they were removed from the film in all video and DVD versions.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Melody Time is missing an entire segment (The Martins and the Coys).
Nope. Sorry, wrong movie. Make Mine Music originally featured The Martins and the Coys, which was deleted (surprise, surprise) for PC reasons (stereotypes, violence). What happened to Melody Time is equally egregious though: transfer techs went through the Pecos Bill segment and digitally erased his perpetually dangling cigarette. I have never bought this one, but lucked out and taped an uncensored version from Family Channel here in Canada. Stuff like this really burns me, and if you want to see what was censored from Fantasia, go over to widescreen.org and check out the QuickTime downloads. It's rather revealing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Sorry, wrong movie. Make Mine Music originally featured The Martins and the Coys, which was deleted (surprise, surprise) for PC reasons (stereotypes, violence). What happened to Melody Time is equally egregious though: transfer techs went through the Pecos Bill segment and digitally erased his perpetually dangling cigarette.
"Equally egregious"? While the deletion of the smoke was lame, I don't think it's anywhere in the ballpark with removing an entire short!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Three Caballeros removes the cigar from gaucho Goofy. It's much less prevalent than pecos Bill's cigarette, but still annoying that they could not just live with their history. Joe Carioca still gets to smoke like a chimney, but I guess that's because he's not as strong a corporate symbol for Disney as Goofy.

Regards,

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I wish Disney would keep these films as they meant to be seen. I think when Disney releases Aladdin next year they may have put in that nasty last minute edit into the song "Arabian Nights."

Many Arabian-Americans were upset with the lyrics

They cut of your ear if they don't like your
face. It's barbaric, but hey it's home.

At the last moment before the VHS release, Disney had to change those lyrics into something very terrible and very noticable. Yet, they kept those lyrics in the CD release of the soundtrack.

I hope with the upcoming IMAX version of Aladdin will have a better update to that song.

perrin

Jeffrey_K

Agent
A complaint and an observation:

Complaint: Why not a Spanish language track? French and English only? Wha?

Observation: It appears to be Dolby Digital EX. My A/V picks up a 6.1 matrix signal and puts out sound on my center back speaker. Yet it doesn't say anything on the box. Hmmmmm.

But overall, a tremendous effort with fantastic sound and pictures. A treasure for sure.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Actually, The Three Caballeros is not censored....it's Saludos Amigos that has the altered Goofy sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks