What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Larry Sanders Show Season 1" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
24591.jpg

The Larry Sanders Show

No flipping!
In August of 1992, HBO aired the very first
episode of The Larry Sanders show. The
premise of the show can be described as nothing
short of brilliant. Instead of creating just
another talk show for a pay-cable network, HBO
took on the idea of creating a sitcom about
Larry Sanders, a talk-show host. It was a show
within a show exposing the true demons that run
in entertainment circles.
The show was an instant success, and became the
most talked about show on television.
larry3.jpg

Each episode usually started with "The Larry
Sanders Show", as Larry (Garry Shandling) gives us
his daily monologue, introduces the day's guests,
and then as the talk show ends, we go behind the
camera and up to Larry's offices where he interacts
with Paula (Janeane Garofalo), the shows booking
agent; Jerry (Jeremy Piven), the shows writer;
and Larry's Producer and guardian angel, Arthur
(Rip Torn). Least I forget Larry's bumbling co-host,
Hank (Jeffrey Tambor), the show's most memorable
character.
larry4.jpg

In essence, every week the show examined the
fictional life of Larry Sanders both on and off
the set. Some of the greatest names in show business
appeared in its 6 seasons, including William Shatner,
Robin Williams, Dana Carvey, David Duchovny, Billy
Crystal, David Letterman and so on and so on. When
Larry wasn't seen in front of the camera during his
show, we got an intimate look at the problems plaguing
his personal side from troubles with his love life
to problems with his staff, to guests that walk off
the show.
larry5.jpg

By the year 1998, the show was still at its peak,
but Shandling and company decided to go out on a
high note, and a piece of television history soon
went into retirement.
How is the transfer?
I'm afraid I have good and bad news. The good
news is that the audio on this DVD sounds very
good. Presented in 2-channel Dolby, I became
part of the show as the action remained in the
front soundfield and audience applause clearly
rose in the rear channels. Sadly, it seems that
the only time we hear any rear activity is during
the talk show sequences.
The bad news is the transfer. Being that the
show was originally shot on both video and film,
the talk show sequences (shot on tape)look much
better than the backstage sequences (shot on film)
which are slightly unfocused. There is also a
noticeable element of grain in the filmed portions.
Was this intended to be presented this way? With
the talk show sequences having a more polished look,
I would tend to think so. However, the rest of the
show just looks so "blah" when compared that I tend
to think there were some mastering problems.
Special Features
First, let me talk a little about the packaging.
larry1.jpg

The Larry Sanders Show opens up to a
3-gatefold package that looks and feels rather
cheaply produced. It's basically thin cardboard
with black plastic housing inside that stores each
of the 3 discs.
larry2.jpg

The 3 discs hold four 30-minute episodes each
with the exception of disc #3 which has a fifth
episode. A total of 13 episodes comprise Season 1.
Inside the packaging is a small card that gives
a summary of each episode and its guest stars.
I was a bit upset to find that original airdates
weren't even listed.
larry6.jpg

The only extra feature in this set appears on
Disc #1. Garry Shandling Talks is a very
candid 27-minute interview with a Washington
Post reporter. Garry talks about how the idea
of the show came to be. Since Garry was a regular
co-host on the original "Tonight Show", he had
years of talk-show experience on his belt. He
decided to take that experience and do a show
about a talk show host. Garry talks about how if
he had done just his own straight talk show, how
much different it would have been from his alter-ego,
Larry Sanders.
Garry reflects how much experimentation went into
the show before the airing of the very first episode.
Also, just as interesting is Gary talking about
how difficult and time consuming it was to shoot
the show on both video and film. Using footage
from the show, Gary shows us the many camera tricks
and techniques used to produce the show.
One of the most interesting stories of this
interview is the Rip Torn story. Garry reflects
upon his first meeting with the renowned actor
who refused to read or audition for the part.
Garry tried to ease this situation by arranging a
one-on-one meeting with Rip, which ended on quite
an interesting note.
Final Thoughts
My overall impression of this set is that
it's "okay". It seems to be a set that was
thrown together without really complimenting
the show itself. The packaging is very plain,
tells us nothing about the show itself, and
whose transfer is somewhat questionable.
I think the problem is that we have seen
studios like Fox and Artisan do far better with
their television product from menus that go
beyond being basic, to packaging that really
compliments the product.
Still, this is Larry Sanders we are
talking about, and it is really nice to see that
Columbia chose [/i]this[/i] show as their very
first DVD television entry. There's nothing like
revisiting old friends and hearing Hank belt out
his infamous "HEY NOW!"
Available NOW!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I don't have the set yet but I can confirm there was ALWAYS grain in the backstage & off-camera sequences in the broadcast versions. If these discs are faithful to the original look of the show I will have no complaints.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Hell..its Larry Sanders. I just want the damn discs now...all six seasons. Especially the Duchovny ones, and the finale with Jim Carrey. One of the best shows ever!

Hey Now!

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry so little care was put into this set, but...well...it's Larry Sanders. I'll be getting the set this weekend. Hopefully Garry's other show will follow.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Aaahhh.. I´ve been Waiting for this since the first announcement of a season of tv-series being released on DVD..
Is it the first season that has David Duchovny in it where there´s talk about him being interested in Larry Sanders in "that way"??
That was a hilarious episode.
We in Sweden saw only maybe the first two seasons.. That´s it.. Let´s hope that Columbia decides to release the remaining seasons so we can see the rest.
Go Columbia!
:emoji_thumbsup:

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
VIDEO QUALITY SUMMARY: If you accept the fact that you will be getting a picture no better than you would off of DirecTV, and want the series on a durable medium, then by all means pick up this set. If you want anything better than that then you will be sorely disappointed.

+++

Well, after much trepidation I finally opened my set. I have done direct A-B comparisons of several scenes from "The Flirt" and "Hank's Contract" using the DVD on one hand and Tivo'd DirecTV copies on the other.

There is virtually no difference, for better or worse, between the two with regard to grain, artifacts, sharpness, resolution, etc. However, the DVD appears to have "tint" set too low. Faces are red/purple on the DVD whereas they are fine on the Tivo. (this after raising my TV's tint a couple of notches above AVIA/DVD level to compensate for red/purple faces on my DTV programming)

All in all, therefore, I must give this set- for video quality- a 4/10. Had the colors been "right" it would still have merited only a 5, since paying $40 for the exact same quality as I currently receive over HBO (including the slight loss of quality by recording to the TIVO) is a dubious investment, to say the least.

The ONLY advantage to having the DVD set as opposed to a "recorded off HBO" library is that you will not lose any (more) quality by using videotape. Even recording to DVD-R, assuming 1 hour per disc, the investment in blank media would be about the same price as this set. (2 episodes per disc, 7 discs for 13 episodes, ~$5 per high quality disc = $35)

Now, I will play with the colors a bit, and see if I can't reach a reasonable level for this set. If so I will be satisfied if not "happy", if not I will be disappointed.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope that Columbia's Attempt with All In The Family fares better
I didn't think that this came off as sounding bad. Just that it - like Buffy - suffers a bit on DVD compared to others due to the way the original material was shot.

Comparing original broadcasts of, say, Twin Peaks to original broadcasts of Buffy or Larry Sanders probably ought to be done first before we condemn the DVD release of the latter two over the former! I think it's safe to say, per the reviews and personal viewing, that each of the three have DVD quality on a par with the original elements.

Isn't that just about all we can ask for? Or do you guys think that the DVD's should somehow look BETTER than the original broadcasts?

I'm asking a serious question here, and I hope I can get some honest feedback. This issue has concerned me for a bit, and I'd like other opinions! Thanks,

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the source material is the most fundamental indicator to how a DVD release will perform re: video/audio quality.

That being said, I honestly have no clue how "Larry Sanders" looked in its first run.

The only comparison I can make is to how it looks as it is currently broadcast. As far as I am concerned, a DVD release of an NTSC 4:3 television show should ALWAYS look better than a similar showing on NTSC 4:3 television. The inherent distortion (and compression in satellite viewing) of television broadcasts - as minimal as they may be - can and should be avoided when mastering to DVD.

In the case of "Larry" I found the DVD video quality to be virtually identical to the current HBO (over DirecTV) broadcasts. The DVD should be better, albeit slightly so bases on the source material. I could still live with that, but the color problem I encountered (red/purple tint) was simply unacceptable.

If DVD was nothing more than a "permanent" storage medium for broadcast quality programming then I am confident that it would have failed long ago. DVD offers superior video quality to that achieved via broadcast, tape or LD and all releases should offer such superiority. (every other TV release I have- MASH, Sopranos, Sex and the City, Ab Fab, etc; look better on their current DVD releases than to comparitive broadcast showings- of the several episodes of each I have been able to A-B compare- and they are so, if for no other reason, because of the lack of broadcast distortion/compression)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I pre-ordered this as soon as I heard about it and my copy arrived last Monday. Haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet, but the weekend is nearly here.
Great review, Ronald, but it's "Garry," not "Gary."

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The film portions of Larry Sanders were shot on 16mm, and they probably used film stock optimized for low or available light, which is often grainy as hell.

But it is true that the picture should look better than the DirectTV broadcasts. Average DVD bitrates are 2 to 4 times that of average DirecTV bitrates.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I agree with Ron about the lack of information in the set. I found a good episode guide HERE for anyone who's interested. I also think that this set is totally acceptable for such a great t.v. series, but could have been great.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Did they leave 3 episodes out of this set?

because I'm listening to The Howard Stern show and he said he bought the set yesterday and while there's 14 episodes listed on the box, there's 11 episodes total on all the discs and Fred said that he found the same thing. So what's going on here? Did the Columbia leave out 3 episodes?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, Ron's review said 13 episodes ("The 3 discs hold four 30-minute episodes each with the exception of disc #3 which has a fifth episode. A total of 13 episodes comprise Season 1."), and Gord Lacey's review at TVShowsOnDVD says "13 episodes" as well. There is a special feature called "Garry Shandling Talks...No Flipping", so maybe that is what those, um, gentlemen on the Stern show thought of as a 14th episode?...
I have been slowly going through this release, enjoying each one when I have a half hour to kill. I'm in no rush; I need to reserve enjoyable things for small slots, and not watch EVERYthing in marathon sessions. So I've got one more show on Disc 2 and then I'm onto Disc 3. Great so far!

JulianK

Supporting Actor
More important questions would be: when are Columbia going to release the rest of the series, and will they use dual-layer discs next time so that they can keep the costs down, please?

This three-disc collection could have been put on one DVD-14, at a fraction of the cost.

Jim Ogilvie

Stunt Coordinator
Rob T....
I *almost* fell into the same trap with regard to the number of episodes that I suspect Stern did.
As it happens, discs 1 and 2 have 4 thumbnail images each. These images are one per episode. So, discs one and two have four episodes each.
Disc 3, however, has 3 thumbnail images. Thus, a total of 11 episodes. Or so I thought.
On disc 3, right below the thumbnail images, there is a TINY arrow, that if you click on it, takes you to another menu with two more thumbnail images (2 more episodes), which brings the total number of episodes on the set to 13.
If you count the 27 minute interview with Garry Shandling, thats 14. :)
Jim

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've been trying to remember that guy's name since Dr Phil burst on the scene - Jeffery Tambor!

Does anyone remember Fernwood Tonight? An earlier talk shpw takeoff, with Martin Mull and Gerry Hubbard... Brilliant too.

Jim Ogilvie

Stunt Coordinator
*sigh*

I went through season 1 much too quickly. Two viewings is all it took me.

I am ready for ALL of the remaining seasons, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks