What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Fly - Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Wow! Over an hour longer than the film itself! Looking forward to checking it out.

I only wish Jeff Goldblum had joined Cronenberg on the commentary.:)

Joe:C

Second Unit
Didn't David Pryor mention in the other Fly thread that this was the same tranfer as the Fly/Fly II disc?

I can't wait to pick this up. The documentary sounds great.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Nifty review of a dvd I'm looking forward to. However:

Was the cameraman knitting or making egg noodles in order for "fluff strands" to appear? ;)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
powerdvd does a better job then windvd.. windvd makes all of the dvds look like they are from a widescreen tv set, and powerdvd does it more proper.

JACOB

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Tony

The fluff is from all of the tissue used to catch the flies that wouldn't leave the camera man's egg noodles alone. :)

I watched an interesting show on flies the other week on one of those discovery channels...amazing little pests...and so disgusting too. Two things I can't stand in life: flies and centipedes. uuuugggghhhh :eek: [shudder]

Mike

TonyDale

Second Unit
Michael, good thing you're not on the Eastern Seaboard, there's been a virtual infestation of centipedes this summer, from Georgia on up. . .I hate them, too.

As for that cameraman, maybe he should have been knitting between takes rather than chowing down on noodles.

;)

Greg K

Second Unit
Sorry to jump in late on this (especially since I'm the maniac who's been yelling the loudest about this release...).

Questions: Are these scenes 1.85:1 (and thus, presumably, enhanced for 16 x 9 televisions)?

One issue made known to me is that the shot of Brundle amputating the insect leg was badly underlit when shot. How does it look on the DVD?

How do the scenes play? With the newly-added sound effects/music (taken from the completed film) put into the deleted scenes, do the scenes feel more "authentic"? Appearently, Cronenberg himself approved of the sound/music additions made to "complete" the monkey-cat scene...

I (and others) have often wondered just how long the monkey-cat/leg amputation sequence lasted. At nearly 7 minutes, that's a sizable chunk of screentime (The final cut of The Fly runs some 90 minutes). Nifty.

And it's logical that the version of the butterfly baby scene presented in the DVD's Deleted Scenes section (which shows Ronnie and Stathis in bed) is the one used for the LA test screening, since that's presumably the one that came closest to actually being in the final cut (as opposed to the other four. FOUR!!!! FOUR CODAS!!!! Wow.).

The "extended scenes" are a surprise, although I'm already 99% sure about what they are. "Reconciliation" is almost certainly an extension of the scene where Ronnie comes back after Brundle teleports himself (with more dialogue between them, including the closest to saying "I love you" Brundle and Ronnie get), and "The Poetry of Steak" would be an extension of Brundle's lesson regarding why the Telepods couldn't properly teleport the steak (and Ronnie's comment that Brundle can teach the computer about the flesh by reading it Naked Lunch). Cool.

Although (if the version of the script I have is any indicator) there were other scenes that had dialogue and little moments cut out, the selections included on the DVD are good choices, I think.

All in all, excellent review. I'm just jealous someone else got there first!

But there isn't much longer until this release is, well... released!

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your interest in this DVD. I can understand your excitement!

As far as the transfer goes, it's quite possible this is the same as the 2000 disc. I don't have my original on hand and it's tough for me to remember the details exactly, especially since I've changed my projector three times since so the video has been slightly different.

They are all 1.85:1 and widescreen enhanced and in DD2.0 Surround. Some are from the workprint so they look a little bland in comparison to Monkey-Cat, which looks perfect. In fact, it may look a little better than the film. Since this (and other parts of deleted scenes) were taken from original negative, that's why I thought the film may have gone through the same process...

Enjoy it when it lands
Mike

Chris-F

Auditioning
I'd love to see a couple of screenshots of the deleted scenes, to check out the quality - what are the chances of this happening?

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Ha ha...that's my ultra-technical term for what looks like a piece of hair on a frame of film...fluff, aka dust...

...very funny, Tony :)

Mike

Greg K

Second Unit

Nifty. The monkey-cat scene has the most visually interesting stuff (the deleted Stage 4-B makeup, the telepods, the monkey-cat, etc.), so I'm glad it looks great.

As most of you may know, the deleted "second interview" scene was used as the basis for the first video of Seth Brundle Martin watches in The Fly II. The quality on that doesn't look so hot (And not just the full-frame footage used for on-set video playback of Eric Stoltz watching the tape--the closeup shots of the scene that were cut into the film itself don't look that great, either). How does that scene look on the new DVD, Michael? Did they go back to the negative, or is it from the workprint? Or both?

As I understand it, Fox did a HD transfer for the 2000 Fly/Fly II disc, which was approved this time around by Cronenberg and DP Mark Irwin with no changes. I'm not sure they went back to the negatives for that 2000 transfer....I'm pretty sure they just used a really good print (Or maybe the original interpositive?).

Anyway, thanks again for the great review and info, Michael. With three weeks to go, any more fun bits of info and teasers to drive us all crazy would be appreciated! ;)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Greg

The four codas can be found in the documentary as well as lots of other snippets of extended/deleted sequences not in the deleted scenes menu. There is one coda on its own in the deleted scene menu.

The 'second interview' is from a workprint, so its not quite up to par, but close.

Mike

Greg K

Second Unit
A few other random questions, Michael (you've been very kind with your answers thus far, and I hope I'm not pushing my luck)...

1. Which Cronenberg script is included on the DVD? His very first revision of Pogue's script (circa Spring, 1985), or the final shooting script used during filming (late November, 1985)?

2. The DVD's specs finally prove that The Fly had both teaser and theatrical launch trailers. Which one is the teaser, the "new" one or the one released on the previous DVD ("There is a limit even to the imagination...")? I'm very curious about what the other trailer on the DVD features.

3. This is something I've wondered about before in the other Fly thread here at HTF...in all video/laserdisc/television versions of the film prior to the 2000 Double Feature DVD, there are several kinda cheesy synthesizer(?) "sting" effects heard at certain points in the film ("stings" heard when the Brundle sees the computer graphic of the fly in his records, when Brundle yells "STOP!" as Veronica comes to visit him after their one-month separation, and a "warble" sound that clues in viewers to Brundle's shadow moving on the lab ceiling above the unsuspecting Stathis before Brundle pounces on him from above). These effects do not appear in the 2000 DVD (only Howard Shore's lovely music can be heard in those scenes).

Do any of the audio tracks on the new DVD include these effects? Or were they NOT in the original theatrical release at all (they may have been added later on for some reason)?

4. You mentioned that one of the codas is repeated in the Fear of the Flesh doc. Are any other scenes from the Deleted Scenes section repeated there, also (I mean full scenes, not snippets and such)? Cuz that would seem a bit repetitive...repetitive...repetitive...

5. In Bob Burns' book, "It Came From Bob's Basement", several Fly artifacts are featured, including a Stage 4 Brundle head, Stage 5 Brundle hands and feet, a Stage 6 Brundlegfly puppet head, the inner Martin-in-cocoon puppet from Fly II, and a Martinfly maquette. Are there other, unseen relics in the "Brundle Museum of Natural History" featurette?

6. Are any unused/prototype Brundle makeups featured on the DVD (Cinefex # 28 indicated that there were several attempts to perfect the Stage 4-A makeup)? That would be nifty. I'm curious to see what the makeup test footage includes.

7. Are the green flashes of light that dart around the screen in the 2000 DVD's trailer and The Fly II's main titles (the only vestige of this in the final film is the light pulling back and turning into the film's logo) seen in the "Main Title" test footage? Or is that just the distorted opticals that gradually turn into the first shot of the Bartok party?

8. I really don't want to spoil things for myself (or others who don't know what it's about), but is the tone of the monkey-cat scene "crazed and alchemical" as Tim Lucas once told me? Does it play well in terms of the completed film's narrative?

9. Not asking how to access them or what they are, but did you find the Easter Eggs mentioned in the early DVD specs?

I'm trying reallllllyyy hard to not get overly excited about this, since there's still two or so weeks to go. I'm eagerly awaiting diving into this sucker (and Fly II, as well). A LOT of questions are gonna be answered by this, I think. I've gone about as a far as one can go with the available materials (magazines, press kits, etc.). It's gonna be great to see the Fly archives cracked open and to finally solve a few riddles I've been puzzling out!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
now greg.. we are so close to the dvd release.. just a few more weeks.. I think we can hold it until then? right?

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
REN: Now, listen, Cadet. I've got a JOB for you. See this button? (Stimpy reaches for the button) DON'T TOUCH IT! It's the HISTORY ERASER button, you FOOL!

STIMPY: So what'll happen?

REN: That's just IT! We don't KNOW! Maayyybeee something bad?...Mayyybeee something good! I guess we'll never know! 'Cause you're going to guard it! You won't TOUCH it, will you?
(Stimpy salutes. Ren leaves.)

REN: Hehhh...hehhhh...hehhhh...hehhhh...
(Stimpy marches back and forth, starting at the button.)

ANNOUNCER: Oh, how long can trusty Cadet Stimpy hold out? How can he possibly resist the diabolical urge to push the button that could erase his very existence? Will his tortured mind give in to its uncontrollable desires?

(Announcer grabs Stimpy, forces him closer to the button.)

Can he resist the temptation to push the button that, even now, beckons him even closer? Will he succumb to the maddening urge to eradicate history? At the MERE...PUSH...of a SINGLE...BUTTON! The beeyootiful SHINY button! The jolly CANDY-LIKE button! Will he hold out, folks? CAN he hold out?

STIMPY: NO I CAN'T!!!EEEEEYAAAHHHH! (pushes button)

That about sums it up, I think.

Must....think....of....something....to....keep.... distracted....for....two....more....weeks....!!!!

Can't...lift...arm...or...speak...at...normal...ra te....

Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks