What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Fly - Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there is much confusion because of the original release date of september 27, 2005.. and the new release date of October 4th.. This was annouced back in July about the one week change.
most stores like blockbuster or whatever.. they get their stuff early so then they can release it the next week. they cann't release it until that certain date. When I worked at blockbuster. i was able to rent the videos/dvds the week before release date.

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got lucky and found an early copy of both the fly and the fly 2 dvds..

I watched the documentary on the fly movie. It was very interesting to say the least.. from the interview with cast and crew to raw dailies of cut scenes. I think any fan of the remake will be very happy with the final result.

I did watch a few of the deleted scenes and altnate endings. They were very interesting, but good reason why they were cut. I have not had a chance to listen to the full commentary track yet. I have class tonight.

I will have more time tomorrow, or later tonight.
this dvd is totally loaded with extras.. more so then star wars or indiana jones..the do is very detailed on how they made the movie.
JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
Now I'm starting to lose it. Jacob's got it. Chris-F told me he's waiting for it to arrive from an Ebay seller.

I've already checked out a few local stores to see if they're carrying it, but no luck. Never thought I'd be sad to see stores actually following the rules...

JUST...A...WHILE...LONGER....

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

For this same reason, I'll be getting my hands on this DVD on Thursday. I still haven't seen it... this sounds like a treat!

Chris-F

Auditioning
Check out the latest piece of news on the website in my Sig for four pics from the "Monkey-Cat" sequence.

- Chris

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Was at my local Costco today and they had both Fly SEs in a 2 Pack for $18.99 (Don't worry, they won't let you buy it until street date). Pretty good deal if you're inclined to get both films.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i work at bbv. we got our rental copies of each movie.
the date on the blue bbv sleeve says 9-19.
the database says 10-4.

i'll be watching fly 1 this week.
fly 2, not so much.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have to say that the documentary is very impressive.. it can stand next to both star wars and spidey 2 feature length docs.

its that good and that interesting.. its bit a more adult in parts.. its an R rated horror film.

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
The monkey-cat screencaps look scary enough...

I think it's great to see an R-rated, adult, *Cronenberg* film get treated so well. Usually, documentaries like this are reserved for more family/viewer-friendly fare (Star Wars, etc.). This whole DVD effort has clearly been aimed at all us intellectual, serious film fans.

And that's just awesome.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its about the baboon that is a bit adult, and also funny.
you have to wait to see what that is all about.

JACOB

Chris-F

Auditioning
Jacob, that thing about the Baboon I think you're talking about is pretty funny - it's the music that gets me!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
anyone found the easter eggs? Its chapter 33 and 34 for the trailers of big trouble in little china and aliens.. all 3 movies were of course released in theatres that summer.

I know there are a few other easter eggs.

I did watch the famous monkey and cat scene.. its kinda of intense scene.. it almost seems like a very different movie, because there is hardly any words spoken in the scene.

I do remember in the script there is a scene where ronie and seth are going up the stairs to see seth's place for the first time.. I am surprise that they didnt show that scene.. unless of course I have not seen everything?
JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
It's been said that the monkey-cat scene, in the context of the rest of the film, might have been too much for the audience to deal with. After that scene, there's the maggot-baby dream, then the aborted abortion, then the attack on Stathis, and then the insanity and shock and sadness of the final sequence.

That said, the scene was intended to be a major psychological turning point for Brundle. The motive for his little experiement is ambigious, and the incident marks the beginning of:

A. The transition from Seth Brundle, the pathetic, diseased scientist, to Brundlefly, the scary Insect Politician.

B. The idea that Brundle's starting to lose it. He's ostensibly trying to find a cure by fusing two creatures together (and then finding a way to separate them), but his methods are more than a bit crazy.

Still, if the scene had stayed in, the "final fusion" scene at the end would have had more impact, I think (and wouldn't have seemingly come out of left field, as it does in the final cut): Brundle's so desperate, he's willing to merge with Veronica to become more human. And, since the audience would have known how that LAST fusion experiment of his turned out, the tension would have been much more severe.

As for the "stairs" scene, it might have been written out before it was filmed. Does it appear in the Cronenberg script that's included on the DVD?

Matt M

Grip
I saw this at Wal-Mart today in KC (as well as The Fly II SE) on sale for $13.72. I picked up the The Fly SE.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they talked about the test screening.. and people reacted strongly to the monkey/cat scene.. they care about seth up to that point.. then when that happened.. they didn't care about him.. it was too much.. then that made the rest of the movie a harder sell on the seth character. They took it out.. they also discuss at length about the altertate endings.. dealing with ronnie unknown future with and without the baby..
they audience didn;t like it that much, and neither did the cast and crew.. it also tested poorly.
Its good that we can see the scenes now.. I can more cleary on why the stuff was cut.. it was certainly interesting to see the complete interview that was later shown in the fly 2.
I watched the doc.. then I was able to watch the extended bits separately. which was like another half hour of stuff.

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
That kind of thing is tricky. Brundle goes back and forth between hero and "villain" throughout the film, but when you bring animals into it...that just pushes the "dangerous" button.

Tim Lucas told me that the Toronto preview had screenings of two versions of the film for the same audience: one with the monkey-cat scene, and the other without. Lucas suspects that the audience question cards asked something like, "Did you feel Brundle was being cruel to the animals?", and that they were asked which version of the film they liked better, which stacked the odds against the scene.

C'est la vie. But now all this stuff is finally available, so audiences can judge for themselves.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Nice review, thanks for that. I was hoping to get this much anticipated film today but will have to wait a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks