What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Dead Zone Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Heh, my thoughts exactly. The Fly is pure Cronenberg through and through.

Cronenberg is my favorite filmmaker, and there isn't a single film of his that I don't like, The Dead Zone being no exception. It's clearly less Cronenbergian than most of his other films, but it's a damn fine mixture of horror and drama all the same. Cronenberg's theme of bodily horror is still present though (i.e. the scene where Johnny talks to the doctor over the phone about the damage his "gift" is doing to his body), just on a scale that's so low key, many people miss it. I don't think it's predictable either, at least not as far as the ending is concerned.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

If we are to judge from the DVD Beaver comparison screen caps, that makes two of us (well, three with David Mack).

The new transfer not only lacks QUITE A LOT of detail (and I mean a LOT), but it also looks way off to me in the color timing department, as in too greenish (the old one may be a little bit too reddish, but much more natural to my eyes).

I feel tempted to go hunting for the previous release (too bad for the new extra features, but I am much more interested in a proper audiovisual representation), but I am somewhat wary of doing that, because I seem to recall some flagging issues with it that made it impossible to watch it in its right aspect ratio.

Someone could illuminate me on the whole story here?

Thanks!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thank you.;) Its not. See Scanners, The Brood, The Kindred, Videodrome, etc those are Cronbenbergy. The Fly is straight ahead, on a single track, SF/horror. There are very few layers to it. Its a polished high end Hollywood piece. The others are way more raw and grungy.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

You're thinking of production values. Travis (and I and many others, I'm venturing) thinks it's Cronenbergoid in the theme of alienation from one's own body. That is, the physical body is something that simultaneously can be manipulated and modified, yet at the same time is unpredictable and beyond the individual's control.

Doug

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"The Fly" is about as hardcore Cronenberg as you can get, with all his most typical fixations and themes. It's quite possibly the most extreme and visceral example of his "body horror" manifestations.

It also just happens to be a very popular film. Stranger things have happened, but I'd agree that it's rare when mainstream success coincides with an iconoclastic director's most personal obsessions - especially ones that are at the very least "icky" to a popular audience, if not downright repulsive.

"The Dead Zone", on the other hand, could have been directed by anyone. "Fast Company"? I don't even know what to think of that one.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
IMO, "Spider" is among Cronenberg's most brilliant films, a masterpiece on the order of "Dead Ringers".

"M. Butterfly" needs another viewing by yours truly - have only seen it once, and well before I really got into C.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well I think I'm just going to stick with my old disc. Without a commentary, (odd since the new Pet Sematary has a director's commentary) I don't think the new mini-docs would be worth it. Especially since it appears that the old transfer is better IMHO...

:frowning:

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
This was my first experience with The Dead Zone and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Walken gave a solid performance and also enjoyed Tom Skeritt and Martin Sheen. While I have nothing to compare it to, I thought the DVD looked excellent especially given the fact that it's 23-year old film. What was most striking to me about the transfer was the fact that you can easily see the detail in the various fabrics used throughout the film. It's interesting how some people think this film is boring...I thought the pacing was perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks