What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screen (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
John,
Not so with me. I went into the theater with hope and anticipation and came out disappointed, just like I did after TPM. I certainly wanted to like it but didn't, for reasons discussed by many others in this thread. As far as those who say keep this thread on topic, remember that Ron stated a few similar comments as those that are debating the content of the film so sticking on that topic IS valid to this discussion. If Ron's review had nothing to do with content, than I would agree that this angle is improper to explore.
Remember, these reviews can sway people into buying movies on dvd and they should be aware of both praise and problems with a particular release.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
John,

I think that's a very unfair assessment. It adds nothing to the discussion. Did you love the film only because you really, really wanted to love it? It's the same argument and it leads nowhere but in circles.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Remember, these reviews can sway people into buying movies on dvd and they should be aware of both praise and problems with a particular release.
Why would some one even read this thread, much less participate in the thread, if they did not even like the movie? There are always threads in the software forum that I completely ignore simply because I did not like the movie. I really do not care how good a DVD is if I did not appreciate the movie. Why would anyone buy this DVD (or any DVD) if they did not like the movie itself? Using the "demo" excuse is getting a little old. My suggestion to people is if you do not like the movie do not post in the software thread dealing with the DVD itself. Go post your views in the Movie Forum.
Chris

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I really do not care how good a DVD is if I did not appreciate the movie. Why would anyone buy this DVD (or any DVD) if they did not like the movie itself? Using the "demo" excuse is getting a little old.
I agree with those statements wholeheartedly. But people do it. More power to them, but I'll never understand throwing away good money on something you don't like and probably never intend to watch.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this thread has more farts in it than you'd find in a Van De Kamp's factory.

If you don't like the movie, why are you bothering venting about it here? I'm not a fan of "Grease," so I didn't post in Ron's review section. To each their own.

Nice screenshots!

JasonRH

Second Unit
ChristopherS
I wasn't aware that I was using the 'demo' argument?? I think that is a foolish reason to buy a DVD as well. Haven't you ever heard of people making 'blind' purchases? I've bought movies that for one reason or another I didn't have the chance to see when they were released, based on the only resource that I had - online reviews. I live in a very remote area where even rentals are difficult. Therefore, I want to read all types of opinions on films, not just good comments.

I'm also curious as to why it's legitimite to offer praise to this film as part of the 'acceptible' posts in this topic, but why it's improper and out of place to give the opposite point of view? Why aren't you guys complaining when people say they enjoyed the dialogue/acting, saying that belongs somewhere else?? Doesn't that belong in another forum as well? Seems to me the only people who claim this thread is off-topic are the ones who only want to read positive things about the film.

If you don't like the movie, why are you bothering venting about it here
So, only people who like a film are supposed to make comments on it, otherwise they're supposed to avoid a thread?? I didn't know that the policy in this forum was a "positive comments only please" one.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I look forward to the DVD. As far as I'm concerned, this episode was no better or worse than any other. They are fun popcorn movies. Always were, always will be. Lighten up.
OK, I admit the dude who played Anakin was brutal. :)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Haven't you ever heard of people making 'blind' purchases?
Do you really think this is applicable for this movie and the HTF? How many people do you think come to this forum and have never heard of Star Wars; George Lucas; and Attack of the Clones? These same HTF members who have no idea if they will like this movie completely disregard this huge Star Wars Thread in Movies but instead read this thread in Software hoping that JasonRH will let them know if they will like the latest Star Wars installment. Do you really think that happens very often Jason? Do you really think there are a lot of people who see this thread and open it without having any idea if they liked the movie or would like the movie?
Of course I could be completely wrong and will now receive a deluge of Private Messages from people defending JasonRH, stating that he is the last word on all their movie purchases. In fact until they hear from JasonRH, they will hold off buying another art house film being released on DVD the same day, LOTR: EE. :D
Chris

JasonRH

Second Unit
ChristopherS
Dude, if you want to refute my point that's fine, but don't blow it out of proportion and imply that I was trying to say that anyone is looking for MY opinion on purchase decisions. Where did you come up with that leap of logic from my statements? Sounds to me like you're just being a smart-ass with comments like that.
Also, it is theoretically possible that a person may not have seen the almighty AOTC yet still consider buying the dvd based on comments they read and perhaps they have some exposure to the star wars universe. I never implied people live in a vaccuum and make TOTALLY uninformed blind purchases. You don't think it's possible that someone could have missed the theatrical run and consider a blind purchase?? Anyway, I agree with you that it may not be a common thing but it can happen. Bottom line is, you guys don't jump at people for making good comments about the performances etc... and tell them to take their opinions to another forum - only when the fans get annoyed at any negative reviews do they say that it is inappropriate to post that stuff in a particular thread.
Lastly, I have posted in this thread 3 times and each time my main point wasn't to even offer an opinion of the movie , but to point out that content is a valid part of the discussion, especially if Ron includes it in his review. He does, after all, instruct us to discuss the review. Maybe you should tell Ron it was improper to include his own comments on the movie itself, since he was posting in the HTF software section?
I don't want to drag this out any more than you do but when I see a post directed at me in a smart-ass manner I can't help but respond. Sorry if I read too much into it.
p.s. I've never even visited the movies forum - for some reason I had the idea that it mainly concerned movies undergoing a current theatrical run or not yet available on dvd - not sure why :). Obviously, you're right that these kind of discussions are better served there, but it's not wholly inappropriate to include them in a dvd review that also discusses the most important part of the DVD - the content. Yikes, I never type that much! Later.
Sorry, everyone (especially you, Ron), for dragging the thread further off topic, but I just wanted to clarify. Consider this dropped (unless Chris wants to take a few more jabs at me :) )

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
No offense to Mr. Epstein, but I am somewhat bothered about how often some net critic highly praises a film upon its initial release, then months later, after the film's come and gone, and gotten a so-so to negative critical response, comes out and says, in some words, "well now, upon repeat viewings, I feel just the same as every other critic now!". Harry Knowles does this all the time.

Not only does it seem to indicate a person's insecurity with their own opinions (seemingly saying to themselves,"well, if I don't feel the same way about this film as all the other critics, then I must be stupid, so my opinion must conform to theirs if I am to feel good about myself"), but it shows just how much people seem to let the critics do all their thinking and opinion making for them. This is a shame when you think about it since film history, or the history of any medium when you think about it, is replete which countless examples of when the critics were wrong.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Okay, let's ease up here a bit:

* This thread is devoted to Ron's review of the forthcoming DVD. It does not concern itself with the movie. That discussion is still raging in the "Movies" section.

* In a thread largely given to praise of a movie, it is considered "thread crashing" to drop in with a negative post. A thread given to debating the merits and demerits of a movie allows for both sides of the issue.

* The Movies section is open to discussion of all films: current-run, revival, classics, reissues, silents, etc., etc. If it's about film itself, the post/thread goes into Movies.

* No bickering or personal remarks to other members are tolerated at HTF.

Now, on with your thread.

JasonRH

Second Unit
* In a thread largely given to praise of a movie, it is considered "thread crashing" to drop in with a negative post. A thread given to debating the merits and demerits of a movie allows for both sides of the issue.
Point taken, though it doesn't really apply in this thread. I agree that getting personal is not good, however (sorry christopherS).

Thanks for clearing up the foggy areas of HTF policy for me - I've been around for a while and admit to never really knowing about all the posting guidelines. The mistake I made is thinking that if Ron discussed content in his review, then that was a valid point to debate, even if it is in the software forum. Looks like I was way off base on that one. Sorry guys.

Once again, Jack B, thanks for the clarification.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

And now....
A personal message from VAN LING....

Mikah:
Regarding the closed captioning and subtitles, I think you think I have more power in the scheme of things than I actually do, dude. In fact, I did try to see if it was possible to
include closed captioning or at least English subtitles on all of the extras, as we did last year; if I had my druthers, we'd have CC and DVS and everything else available for
everything. However, DVD producers do not get to set studio policy on these things. Or at least I don't.
Fox studio policy is to subtitle special features material piece by piece ONLY if a segment exceeds 30 minutes in length. Thus, only "From Puppets to Pixels", which runs
nearly an hour, has English subtitles included on the AOTC DVD.
In fact, the fact that all of the Extras on TPM had subtitles was a happy accident. What I assumed to be standard procedure was a result of the captioning facility delivering
more streams than they were contracted to do (at more cost to them), and the authoring facility was diligent enough to put them in. This time around, the captioning facility --
getting no plaudits or recompense for delivering over and above the contract last time-- stuck to the contract and only delivered the streams required, which did NOT include
NTSC subtitles for all of the Extras. By the time I found out about this (I had assumed it would be like TPM as well), it was too late to create and author in the streams.
If it's any small consolation to you, I did manage to get them to include English subtitles for all the Extras on all of the PAL versions of the DVD, because they had already
generated those streams as one of their requirements for the UK version. Unfortunately, I was not able to make a good enough case to have them stop authoring the NTSC
versions and generate NTSC streams at additional costs and delay to include them.
If you want the studios to change their policies to include closed captioning and/or subtitles on everything from the get-go, please contact the studios and let them know.
When enough people speak up, they DO listen. I certainly am listening, and will endeavor to make it a consideration on any future discs I do, if the studios will allow me to
do so.
What they and I will neither listen to nor appreciate are snide comments about being too elitist to care. Ask nicely, and you might get a nice response like the above. Most
other people in the industry might just ignore your valid point because it seems to have been delivered by a jerk. ;-)
Best Regards,
Van Ling
flame-attractor and obvious enemy of the hearing-impaired ;-)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No offense to Mr. Epstein, but I am somewhat bothered about how often some net critic highly praises a film upon its initial release, then months later, after the film's come and gone, and gotten a so-so to negative critical response, comes out and says, in some words, "well now, upon repeat viewings, I feel just the same as every other critic now!".
I can understand how you feel. No offense taken.
Now understand how I feel...
I think many of us were sort of taken back
by Episode II because it was so much
better than Episode I.
It's not uncommon for anyone to watch a film
several times more and have a totally changed
opinion of it. Many people have hated a film
and then grown to love it. It's just a matter
of watching something more than once, absorbing
a little more information about it than you did
the last time, and forming a fresher opinion.
If you think I am purposely trying to change
my opinion, you are very wrong. Re-read some
of the replies in this thread from other members
who also have had their opinions changed with
subsequent viewings.
I'm sure I am not the only critic who has changed
their opinion of an original review. My problem
is that I'm too honest and thus, I admit when my
opinion changes.
I hope this helps you understand the situation
a little better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

After reading the above quote which was based on a wrong assumption as well as being a cheap shot, we shouldn't wonder why people in the business don't participate more on this forum.

Crawdaddy

Brenton

Screenwriter
I don't know whether or not there is a difference between the transfer of R1 and R4, but the following post assumes that there isn't.

A single review from an unknown website in no way overrides the concensus of Ron, The Bits, DVDFile, and other major DVD reviewers with a top level of expertise in the area of home theater when they say that that is no edge enhancement. This one single review does not "cancel out" all these other much more knowlegable opinions. One minor reviewer who says "EDGE ENHANCEMENT! EDGE ENHANCEMENT!" should be ignored. Perhaps his TV adds edge enhancement automatically. Some sets do that. I'm sure that Ron's and Bill Hunt's sets are properly calibrated.

Don't worry about edge enhancement. It's not there.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
This may sound like I'm trying to discredit his review, but I'm convinced that some people would cry "EE! EE!" even if there was none there. It's gotten popular to talk of EE no matter what. It's almost to the point where you can find at least one review of every DVD release that cries "EE!"

Maybe there is a slight difference in the R1 and R4.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ron: Please let Van Ling know that while I'm among those disappointed by the lack of subtitles on the Episode II DVD, I would like to thank him for making the effort to both try to get them on in the first place and then contact you (and by extension all of us) with the latest word:)
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks