What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screen (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'll have to wait a few extra days after release to get an uncut R1 version, but it'll be worth it. ( Although my supplier does ship early sometimes :emoji_thumbsup: ). And this movie, like TPM, has grown on me, so I'm gonna love every stupid second of AOTC on dvd. Danke schoen for the review, Ron!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Great review. I remember when you first started reviewing you would make apologies about the regular-guy style of your writing. While your reviews have always been just fine the way they are (don't think it seemed to any of us that there was anything needing to be improved), it's also evident that your writing style and review approach has evolved along the way. The sound of your review of this disc sounds pretty sophisticated...but in a way that doesn't loose touch. You're ready to go pro :)
It's very exciting to hear the consistend praise for this DVD transfer from all fronts. I *eagerly* await to drag this disc over to my buddy's house to see it on the big screen (I missed it in the theater originally).
Glad the folks at Lucasfilm/THX decided to really set the standard with this disc.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Ron,

Thanks for your review. I agree totally with your opinion of the film. I'll definitely pick this one up. There is enough here that I enjoy to give it enough rewatchability (even if piecemeal).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ron, great, great review of a packed set! The A/V has me excited, and yet, I am actually on the fence with this disc. Moreso than I have been with any other. I won't hop into the movie debate, but I must delineate my AOTC feelings. In the review thread, I was the first negative review, and I spent the morning and afternoon of May 16th pretty upset. The midnight showing had really soured me to the point I skipped a digital viewing that afternoon. I wondered what everyone else saw that I was missing. So me, Matt, and Terrell went round and round a bit ;) I did manage to sit through a BEAUTIFUL digital showing, and I found lots of moments to enjoy. But the overall experience was sad for me.
So, to buy this reference disc or not? It has some great moments, and I can skip right to them on DVD. That's a plus. But it'll sort of bum me out. Now Terrell might say (again) that it's just a movie. But he doesn't mean it :D It's not just a movie, it's Star Wars! But it's not the same for me. Natalie in that blue outfit is a huge plus, but her performance was high on my peeves list. Ahh, the agony of choice. I have worse movies than AOTC on DVD (and I am in a huge minority by NOT including TPM in that statement), but November is already so expensive.
I imagine I'll get this. It is Star Wars.
Mostly,
Chuck

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ron,
Thanks for the great review. :D
On a loosely related note, did anyone ask Lucas or anyone representing Lucasfilm about a possible DVD release for THX-1138?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Peter Staddon, you da man!!! :)
Ron,
your killin me man, just killin me!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

HURRY THE HELL UP NOVEMBER 12th!!!!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

While I appreciate the kind words, I don't
feel comfortable about being praised over someone
who is far more qualified to write reviews than
I am. I consider THE DIGITAL BITS and DVDFILE
to be far more authoritative about their reviews
than I could ever be.

I ask you kindly, please, not to compare me
against any other reviewers again. I do this
strictly on an amateur level and trust me, I
have taken my share of criticism.

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator
quote from bill hunt: "Simply put, this is the best looking DVD video I have ever seen."

nuff said!!

JasonRH

Second Unit
Ron,
What makes you think your reviews aren't as valid as any of these "professional" reviews. Surely your take on the content of a film is as valid as everyone else's since it is a matter of pure opinion. Even rating the audio/video quality varies dramatically between these so-called "professional reviewers".
I understand your not wanting to be praised over someone else's review, as that is not appropriate and would certainly be uncomfortable to both parties, but don't sell yourself short either :) I'm not sure that there's such a thing as "amateur" or "professional" in terms of DVD reviewers - it's completely subjective, and I find everyone has as valid a view as the next person.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great review Ron. Love the screen shots.:emoji_thumbsup:
This is a must buy for moi, dazzling visual effects, Nat Portman, pure eye-candy.:D
Better than Episode I but nowhere as good as the classic original trilogy, bad acting and bad dialogue runs rampant but its still exciting expensive space opera, roll on Episode III, hopefully with a new Anakin, um Vin Diesel as Darth Vader anyone?
Can he do any worse than Hayden??;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Even worse, for nearly its entire length, we are
subjected to the whining and grating of pre-Vader
Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) who not only
complains about everything, but has to deliver some
of the most poorly written romantic dialogue,
latching onto Padme (Natalie Portman) as if he was
some sort of galactic stalker.
I am so glad someone else feels this way, I wish Lucas would let someone else do the casting. His (or the casting agent's) choices for Anakin have so far been abysmal IMO.
So about the review, Ron what kind of set-up did you use for the sound review? I have heard that this DD-EX track is even more aggressive than TPM's hearty DD-EX track.

Clint B

Second Unit
I don't know if this should be posted here or in its own thread, but I was over at the Bits a little while ago, and they said that Suncoast will have, as an exclusive, the entire "R2D2: Beneath the Dome" mockumentary (Ron's review, and others, indicate that there's only a preview for this on the DVD itself). Would it be worth it to pay Suncoast's high prices to get the entire mockumentary, if indeed it will be exclusive to Suncoast?

BTW, Ron--great review! Thanks!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry about that Ron, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. It takes tremeandous talent to write these dvd reviews and IMO you've got it. I know that your not a pro, but you could be a natural. I also certaintly meant nothing bad against our good friend Mr. Hunt, I think he's great and I read his fine reviews all the time.
Again sorry about that Ron. :)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Sorry to nitpick, Ron, but I've found some typos you may want to fix. Christopher Lee's character's name is spelled Dooku, the city planet's name is spelled Coruscant, and the producer's name is spelled McCallum (you messed up that one twice). But other than that, excellent review. It says a lot that for such a mediocre opinion of the film, the disc itself gets a status of "Highly Recommended".
Myself, I can't wait for this disc. I loved the film. Sure it had its faults. Maybe it is true that The Fellowship of the Ring and Spider-Man had better acting and dialogue, but Star Wars means a lot to me. It has a special place that no other film can fill, no matter how good the acting or writing.
I suppose that if Episode II has a mind-blowingly good transfer, and Episode I has a lackluster transfer, they cancel each other out and make two average transfers. :laugh:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Clint B: The entire mockumentary has been on starwars.com for several months now. While the quality of a DVD version would be slightly higher, otherwise it's not a big deal. I'd reccomend checking it out, as it's VERY funny.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
It also completely rips off "Jar Jar Binks: The True Hollywood Story".
That was a fan film that was made before the R2D2 one. Apparently ol' George didn't like it, so it was pulled down from most sites that were hosting it. A little while later, the R2D2 thing came out and copied a lot of things that the Jar Jar short did.
Edit: It's still up at Ifilm.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Excellent, detailed and thoughtful review, Ron.
All that and those stunningly beautiful screenshots.
Thank you!

I doubt that any of us will pass on the opportunity to add this DVD to our collections. Can't wait!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the in-depth review Ron. I'll be picking this up as well. Despite it's flaws it *is* a Star Wars film, and there's some great eye candy in AOTC. The rave reviews of the transfer and extras cinched the purchase for me. Well, those factors plus the insistence of a 6 year old boy. :)
As for the artistic merit of the film itself, I'm still amazed at how polarized people are over the Prequels vs. the Original Trilogy. Personally I find the new films uninvolving and boring from a character perspective. Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, etc. are flat and lifeless compared to Han, Luke, Leia and Vader in the originals. The OT had a magic, a chemistry, a sense of urgency that started with a bang in ANH, peaked in TESB and trailed off in ROTJ. Lucas has completely and utterly failed to capture the same excitement and spark that made the OT so fun and engaging.
A good director coupled with good actors can make you forget or forgive a bad script, and there's certainly no lack of high caliber acting talent in TPM or AOTC. But you know, I could care less about Padme, Anakin, Mace Windu or any of the other characters in the new films because they are so damned BORING. That is due almost entirely to George Lucas' failings as a director. He's great at concept and production but he should give up The Chair to someone with some talent. The Prequels could have been great films, but instead they're just soulless playgrounds for the wizards at ILM. All in my opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks