What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screen (1 Viewer)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I think George made a big mistake using a digital camera instead of real film for Attack of the Clones, sometimes I think he does stuff like this just to be "cutting edge", even if it turns out to be worse for the movie. In doing so, he hugely limited the resolution and detail of the movie, also, digital cameras, IIRC, are inferior to film in shadow detail and other areas of image quality.
Certainly the DVD has a very clean transfer, but the picture also seems to have sort of an artificial kind of plasticy look to it, if you know what I mean. I think The Phantom Menace and the Lord of the Rings look much more natural. :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
When I watched AOTC on DVD I didn't notice the video look but I remember later when checking TPM and AOTC at the same time, I immediately noticed the video look. I kind of have the same problem with Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched the film on DVD in a while, and in any case I find it less noticable on my TV screen, but when I saw AOTC in cinema, I found the fact that it had been shot digitally really obvious in some parts. The worst scene for me was the field scene where Anakin and Padme have their discussion about government and dictators an the like. The flesh colours in particular seemed really off, and it didn't seem to cope very well with the subtle variations of green present in the field.

Fortunately digital cameras have come a long way in the last five years - although every now and then digitally-shot films do betray the capture method - Apocalypto has already been mentioned, and while I thought that was generally pretty good, there were a couple of shots in the first few minutes with the stalking of the animal that looked really badly digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks