What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screen (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Great comeback, Van Ling. It is good to see that many of the people in the industry still read this forum, even if they are blasted on occasion. I guess you can't please everyone. I know that I can't wait to get this dvd in my hands.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I have also spent some considerable time with my 2 disc set, and can double what Ron and the other web sites are saying. All I can say is, this is emphatically the finest dvd transfer in history. I have never seen anything come close...... Filming in 1080i HD certainly does wonders for the dvd transfer and sets a new standard.... The audio on this disc will also be considered top reference quality.... While Phantom Menace seemed a tad hot in certain audio channels, Clones is more precisely balanced, and a much better overall sound mix......

I also recommend checking out disc #2 of this set. This dvd will enlighten young film makers on digital film making, as well an incredible tour of the production of Clones in ILM....

P.S Under The Helmet is a RIOT!!!!!

Thanks for the review Ron. Also loved the note from Van Ling.

I get this and LOTR EE on the same day - Christmas comes early for me this year.

mark_d

Second Unit
'fraid I can't take the R4 review seriously:

"Whilst not quite as warm and ambient as the less compressed DTS format, they take a big step closer to that level of quality."

This auto assumtion that DTS always sounds superior really ticks me off. We will never know if AOTC would have sounded better in DTS. Maybe it would turn out like The Rock, which has, IMO, a superior DD track.

When watching Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc, Episode 1 or whatever fab DD-only disc, I have never thought "oooh, if only this were DTS..."

Grrrrrr...

Off my soapbox now, looking forward to this awesome disc.

Mark

TedT

Second Unit
All I have to say is that if it's in a snapper case or a case that I don't approve of, I'M NOT BUYING IT!

Just kidding, of course.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have had conversation with Van Ling on the phone. He is a very good person..I hope other get that feeling while reading his response that he sent to Ron.
He also does great work on the dvds.. I like his work from the abyss and T2.

JACOB

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, my opinion of the movie also changed after repeated viewings. My initial impression of the movie was that it was very fast paced and had a lot of action. After watching again, the middle section seems to drag much more.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just wanted to post my thoughts here on the dvd since this is where we have been directed to do so:
Got lucky and acquired my widescreen copy this evening after my IMAX viewing!
My .02:
Only watched parts of disc 2 but did watch all of "From Puppets to Pixels" and it's as good as The Beginning from Ep.1. Intimate look at how they created, edited, and ultimately made the digital characters. Very cool! :emoji_thumbsup:
Thought the trailers sounded a little dull and lifeless and bass heavy? Anyone else notice this? I am a movie trailer addict and was really hoping these would sound as crisp and tight as they did on my HTPC system. They didn't. The tv spots sounded good however as did the music video.
The actual film looked and sounded terrific. But you already know that from all the reviews.
I did watch the scene where Anakin confesses to Padme and didn't really care for the added dialogue. To me it really didn't add anything and it seems more haunting and has greater impact when nothing is said after he confesses. Just my thoughts however.
So far a great dvd!

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
Thought the trailers sounded a little dull and lifeless and bass heavy? Anyone else notice this? I am a movie trailer addict and was really hoping these would sound as crisp and tight as they did on my HTPC system. They didn't. The tv spots sounded good however as did the music video.
From my experiences, Fox doesnt offer most of the trailers in 5.1 when they are released on DVD. Other studios do, but Fox likes to leave a 2.0 mix.
I will have to wait another week and hear them for my self. I absolutely loved all 4 trailers.
Edit:
According to DVD Net their release (Pal?) has all of the trailer and the music video in 5.1 after all.

Kevin Crays

Agent
FYI, Circuit City is pricematching Toys R Us, and the store I went to did not call them up to verify stock. The Toys R Us I went to (plano tx)did not have any widescreen in stock.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
K-mart only had Pan & Scam. Ran over to Wally-World and it was $14.87 as with Kmart's price. Both P&S and Widescreen versions!!!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a copy today & I don't wont to be the party buster here but I thought that this movie is boring as hell. I thought that this one would maybe be alittle faster paced than the first but I think I like the first one even better than this one. I'm sorry to sound so negative about it but everything just has such a flat tone to it, I could have been better entertained watching the leaves die on my tree setting in the cold.
I just don't get it I loved the original Star Wars as a kid but I think these are just plain horrible:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Rob T

Screenwriter
I got it today from Wal-mart for 24.83. I should have examined the cover art ore closely though ecause theres a small tear in the front where the c is in widescreen and there's another in the same place on the back. :frowning:
I'm gonna try and get it replaced tomorrow after classes.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I was happy to get it for $9.95 but disappointed in the soft image. I do not remember if it was the same in the theater or if they might have softened the video to appear a little more film-like. All I can say is I rate it about a 7 whereas Spiderman a 9. Sound was excellent with the sub knocking things off the shelves.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Well, I knew this was bound to happen eventually.
I buy a widescreen box at Best Buy, get it home, and the P&S version is on the disc. :angry:
Needless to say, I haven't been able to watch it yet, until I open up enough boxes at the store to get the real movie.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I saw the movie only once in the theaters this time around, unlike Phantom Menace wich was seen three times. Ones by myself, once with my father who was sick for the premier night, and once more on a digital screen.
I didn't want to tire myself out with this new one before getting the DVD. That said, I still REALLY like this one more so than the first. While there was alot of on screen action, it's just a fun one to watch, and gets a little more of that old school Star Wars feeling back into it.
I really hope that Goerge throws us a few surprises for New Jedi Order fans. Something in the third one that could pop up in the new books. For instance, instead of a Coplete Memory whipe, See Threepio has a backup of everything that happened stored in his brain somewhere. Or some of the original Jedi survive just like Yoda did all those years...
Eitherway, I can't wait for James Earl Jones and Darth to make his grand appearance :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>After reading the above quote which was based on a wrong assumption as well as being a cheap shot, we shouldn't wonder why people in the business don't participate more on this forum. >
Agreed. But if I where them, I'd try to ignore the naysayers, and not try to let them ruin my BB posting experience. Too bad Boards don't have a 'ban' feature like newsgroups do, where a user could not see an offensive posters replies. Maby that would get some of the studio heads back...
That said, Van ling sounds like one of us ;).

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Watching on a HDTV, progressive scan DVD player, I thought this DVD was just above average.
I'm shocked at the "best DVD ever" talk. This is far from it.
Numerous scenes are too grainy, there are scenes were the backgrounds don't match the characters (limitations of blue/green screen) that look like photoshop edits.

The worst for me was a scene in the bar when Annakin's face looks like it was compressed and dithered to 256 colors.

The little I saw of LOTR:EE easily bested AOTC's transfer.

And Van Ling, here is a request (or Fox), the year is 2002(almost 2003), how about including 5.1 sound tracks on teasers and trailers. Even Disney does this now.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks