What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Spider-Man" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
DaFoe is one of those actors who can lose himself in the part, like Gary Oldman, and was at least as good in this as he was in Shadow of the Vampire.
I've been a big fan of Willem since Platoon. Really a solid actor. The extras point to the effort he put in, in comparison to others... I would not be surprised to see a best supporting here.

Back to the shimmer... is this by any chance just another scene in the grand room with the fireplace (in later scenes but perhaps shot on the same day) causing havoc with the lighting?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Re: shimmer - well, there goes the arguement that our TV is going bad and since we need a new one anyway why not a nice 16x9 HDTV? dammit. :)
Re: Tobey's screen test. If memory serves, Raimi was all for Tobey getting the role but the studio needed convincing. So they put together that test to prove he was up to it. So, yes, it wasn't your average screen test.
-paul

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just hope the Superbit version is not too far away.
I think it would clear the picture up and add a little more punch giving this movie the quality release it deserved.

As soon as it's announced, my current copy goes up on EBay. (I won't miss the extras.)

AlexK

Grip
Anyone having a problem with SPIDER-MAN on a Toshiba SD-2109? My disc #1 freezes at 1:13:28... I hope it's just a bad disc and that my replacement copy will work fine.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone having a problem with SPIDER-MAN on a Toshiba SD-2109? My disc #1 freezes at 1:13:28... I hope it's just a bad disc and that my replacement copy will work fine.
I am not sure of the time but I know the scene. When MJ comes out from working at the diner. While MJ and Peter are talking my disc freezes jumps around a frame or two and then moves on. My DVD is a Sony DVP-7000. The other thing I have to mention(althought I dont want to) is that I bought the Full-Screen version by accident. I noticed it after I opened the case and read "Full Screen" on the disc. I purchased it during a shopping spree at Toys-R-Us. Grapped a copy before getting in line. Didn't even think about looking for which version I had. Does anyone think TRU will exchange it(if they even carry the widescreen) if I go baack with my receipt?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching my r4 dvd of Spider-Man and a great dvd imo.

The only complaint I would say about the disc is that the very first trailer is not on it, or I could not find it.

The second one is why did they not show the entire pressconference announcing the cast, you did see glimpses of this during the E Mania special. They even had it up on the official site.

Now back to the dvd for some features to watch

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jussi

I don't mean that trailer, the one I mean is with just the animated strands of the web of Spider-Man.

second, it is strange to not find the trailer with the twin towers for obvious reasons while in the E-mania Spider-man feature they talked about Issue 36 of the comics where Marvel talks about the impact of 9/11.

Isn't this double standards.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
riiight...
they won't put the teaser on the dvd, but they'll use the shot of the towers reflecting on his eyes in EVERY single TV ad selling the DVD... :rolleyes

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
People complain about Star Wars having bad dialog...shit, Spider Man blows SW away in that department!! Made SW diaolg sound like Shakespeare...Cheesy dialog, bad effects, a laughable plot all added up to one of the most overblown movies in a long time for me...i'm still in shock Spider Man took in $400,000,000. Unfriggin believable!!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Although I liked Spider-Man, there were, indeed, far too many cheezy lines - yes, worse than any Star Wars movie.

It seems as if Hollywood feels the need to inject corny lines in any mainstream action movie these days. Do mainstream audiences really laugh at these? I just usually cringe.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I got done watching it tonight. I was prepared for a crummy looking dvd, but I was suprised. I thought it looked fantastic. A little too dark in the night scenes, but the color was awesome. I didn't notice too much grain either. I'm using a 53" Panny widescreen, tweaked by myself.

I was somewhat disappointed with the audio. Low bass? I didn't really hear of feel any. I'm using a SVS 20-39cs. Everything else seemed good though.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Although I liked Spider-Man, there were, indeed, far too many cheezy lines - yes, worse than any Star Wars movie.
While I agree that the delivery wasn't great, most of the "cheezy" lines were either straight from the comic's mythos or were part and parcel of Spiderman's routine. (The character is infamous for annoying villians with one-liners.

Comparing Spiderman's sentimentality with the lifelessly penned, roboticly delivered dialogue from Star Wars II is a stretch.

Shane Burton

Agent
Can't we just stick to reviewing the DVD, and not
comparing two obviously quite different movies?
That being said, AOTC was better. :D
Shane

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I was going to pose the same question that Colin just did. I don't recall too many lines being particularly cheezy.

I just watched the DVD a few nights ago (via Netflix). I didn't have very big expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the movie. The transfer was also good, though not reference quality. I thought the sound was very good.

Overall a very nice package!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks