What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Saturday Night Fever" (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
David,
However, any copies being distributed from Canada will be the version I just showed. :frowning:
Jason

Jo_C

Second Unit
I recall the previous VHS version having the songs changed because of legal issues. Have all the songs been restored for DVD? Please let me know. Thanks.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Groovy review, Ron! :laugh:
What I like about the transfer, is that it doesn't look like it was digitally cleaned up, and the colours don't look 'plugged-up'. The neg must be in great shape. An exemplary transfer from Paramount and the 5.1 track is great too. Man, I love those disco tunes! But don't tell anyone at the Neil Young Appreciation Society that! ;)
Here's the great Peter Bracke's review.
(Fixed the URL for you. --JW)
Pete's gonna want Xanadu: 3 Disc Ultimate Edition now. :laugh:
Great stuff! :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Too bad Grease did not end up as spectacular as this one. I guess I'll get this one and then maybe Grease down the road, but due to the WAF I may need to get both real soon!

Thanks Ron for another great review!

MichaelG

Second Unit
This is a no doubt purchase. I remember watching this movie throughout college, always seemed to be at 2am cramming for a test. Can't wait to see it in OAR!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over this one so it's great to hear the DVD is so good. I'm waiting for the box set though, I think the price is slightly better than buying them individually and I can't be without Urban Cowboy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie on TV a few years back...figured I was up to the task of a 70's "campy" disco film. I was stunned to find an extremely well-executed film and story that was anything but camp.

Glad to see this emerge on DVD the way it deserves.

-dave

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I'm glad the music was treated well on this release and am looking forward to hearing that great Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive" bass riff in 5.1.

rhett

Supporting Actor
Has a Travolta box set been announced?

Great review Ron, this is one of my favorite films of all time as well, and I am so happy it has been given the deluxe treatment.

I live in Canada, but after my experience with the HORRIBLE bilingual Tarantino covers, I refuse to buy any Paramount or Alliance DVDs from Canada. I will be buying this elsewhere.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In 1976, Dick Clark interviewed an up and coming
singer named John Travolta
Up and coming singer? Travolta only got a record contract to capitalize on his popularity as an actor. And SNF wasn't his first movie, though maybe he claimed that on TV...

BTW, I thought SNF looked good, but I wasn't nearly as impressed by the transfer as Ron...

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
If anybody hates the case it probably will be available in a regular DVD case at warehouse stores like BJ's. Grease is in a regular case there and I bet SNF will be available that way too. I'll be off to BJ's on the 8th :D !

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
After all the hoopla about the upcoming DVD, I decided to watch my brother's old VHS copy of this movie (I have never seen the entire film before) and can honestly say, it was better than I expected.
It's on my DVD want list now. :)

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait, I should have my copy on Monday. A feature that would have been neat would have been an option to jump to a certain scene in the movie by song. Like the others, I don't agree with the packaging.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

UPDATE

The most wonderful thing happened to me
this evening.
I received a personal email from Director
John Badham thanking me for this review which
he thought was great.
It's one of those moments where your heart
just stops. I have always been a fan of his
work starting with SNF on through WarGames
and Short Circuit.
To find a personal email from the man in my
mailbox was something I never expected.
I'm going to try to get his permission to post
what he sent me. If I am unable to, please forgive
me, but I really wanted to share a very special
moment in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks