What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Saturday Night Fever" (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

David Glenn

Second Unit
Ron,
Excellent review!!! I knew it was killing you not to be able review this ASAP.
Saturday Night Fever is one of my all time favorite films as well. It sounds as if my passion for this film is as strong as yours. For me, it ranks as my favorite film of 1977, including Star Wars.
I've recently aquired the original insert movie poster for SNF and it is now framed using archival materials.
This dvd completes me. Such great timing, as I await delivery of my Sony KP-57WV700 HDTV. :)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Great review Ron! I'm glad to hear that Paramount took the time to do this film justice. Stoked about it's video and audio qualities!! :D
Since I'm a Travolta and 70's music fan, this is a no-brainer! You'll see me in line on 10/8!
Let the dancin begin!!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I hope they don't screw up the Canadian packaging with a bunch of French stuff.
Don't count on it. After seeing what Trading Places looks like up here, I doubt I'll be buying another Paramount title in Canada again. I also hope that SNF winds up in a keep case at the megastores, since I'm also not buying those crappy cardboard contraptions either.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I saw this in it's original release and even owned a beautiful print for over 20 years. One of the things that stands out was how massively grainy the picture was in it's original version. It was most definitely a decision made by the director of photography and not a reflection of the film stocks of the time ( The concurrent GREASE had nothing like the grain structure of SNF, for example. ) It gave the film a gritty, more realistic look that made it almost documentary like. Your review indicates that someone has decided to re-shape the look of the film, and that gives me a certain degree of concern. Does Badham discuss this in his commentary ? I know most posters seem to see film grain as a bad thing , but if we are passionate about aspect ratios and director's visions, are we really serving the cause by greeting this as a positive thing ?

Not everything was meant to look bright and shiny !

Rob Caianiello

Auditioning
Ron,

Thank you for the review. I must say I have waited patiently for this release for 5 years now. SNF has been the most anticipated title for me to own since the DVD format was launched. It seems like yesterday when I asked Mr. Blythe about this film coming to DVD back in the 2000 chat with Paramount. No more having to do searches in the forum to get some scoop on when it would hit DVD. Thank God!

Regards,
Rob

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Thanks Ron, I'm drooling already. Since there was never a decent release of this title on vhs or ld, this is a must buy, can't wait.

Al

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Thanks for the review. Your enthusiasm over the quality of this DVD lessens the pain of the long wait. I can't wait to pick this up!

Ray

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The VH1 behind the scenes segment is an extra on this dvd and it talks in great detail about Gene Siskel's love for this film with Roger Ebert remembering his former partner.
Thanks for the info C'Daddy! :)
(Hey, speaking of that VH1 segment, do we get a glimpse of the famous white suit that Mr. Siskel was able to purchase years ago? Anybody know who owns it now?)

Brian O

Second Unit
Looking forward to this one. Nice review. This was the soundtrack to my 10th-11th grade years. I vividly remember the Angel Flights, wide collars, and huge healed shoes that came from this phenomenon.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm also not buying those crappy cardboard contraptions either.
I can't for the life of me understand why everyone hates the digipak P.Room/Grease/SNF type case! IMO it's a pretty good case. I think they look nice. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I kinda like having some diversity of packaging in my collection, and not all of one type.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Excellent I was sooo hoping that this was going to be a killer DVD (I would have picked it up anyway but it is a bonus that it is a great transfer).

Thanks for the great review Ron!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Ron great review i can't wait to pick this up next week. I think you do need to upgrade this to HIGHLY RECCOMENDED status. I mean it's your 3rd favorite movie of alltime so it no doubt deserves that status :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Rain,

Go for the blind purchase. I doubt you will be dissapointed.
The Film has a REAL old-school NYC grit to it. If they made this nowadays, Tony and all his buds would no doubt be portrayed by all the vapid 20-something pretty-boys which currently inhabit most new "coming of age" type films.

A refreshing reminder of the time when acting ability and the proper character "look" were important re: casting.

Peace and Enjoy! D

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Same packaging [as Grease] but I had a little more trouble sliding the innard contents out this time.
THAT'S why I hate the "Grease/PanicRoom" packaging. I had ALOT of trouble taking out the "Grease" insert without damaging the cover! I want my DVDs to last, and prefer the sturdier plastic. What if, God forbid, somehow the case gets wet?
That aside, thanks for the excellent review, Ron!! This is one of my favorite movies, too, as it captured that era so well. I gave away my crummy VHS copy as soon as I heard that this was being released (along with Flashdance, Footloose, and Staying Alive).
Funny, I remember the audience laughing at Travolta's hairstyle during his first screenshot. Months later, all the guys had the same "do". I also remember reading about all the Travolta clan's cameos. Wasn't his mother the paint store customer that he kept waiting??? I could have sworn I heard that somewhere?
Anyway, I've reserved next Tuesday for early morning Latte, followed by a BestBuy shopping spree. Can't wait!
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Oh, I'll be getting this one, although I too am a bit worried about the thin packaging and bilingual art:

Jason

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I had ALOT of trouble taking out the "Grease" insert without damaging the cover!
I must have been issued a special easy-to-use variant of the dreaded digipak I guess. My innards don't stick at all (gee...that sounded nasty. :) ) .... Just tip the case to where the open-ended side faces down and shake it a little bit to slide the innards out. Works for me.
Are some of you really getting cases that are so tight that the inner part can't be removed without ripping up the outer slipsleeve?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Your review indicates that someone has decided to re-shape the look of the film, and that gives me a certain degree of concern.
There is still some film grain at times, but it looks like they tried to clean it up as much as possible. The theatrical print I saw about 2 years ago was extremely grainy. I'd say the DVD still has the 70's gritty look.

Anyone know what is missing from the VH-1 documentary? I think the actual running time was about 40 minutes or so when you factor in the commercials from the original hour-long broadcast.

Jeff

R. Kay

Second Unit
How bout some more screenshots Ron?
Sure didnt take long enuf for the screenshots to pop up!
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks