What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Pride & Prejudice (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
There's three things I can't stand ... People who can't count, and those who aren't tolerant of others mistakes. :D

Ron, Clueless is a modern adaptation of Emma, by Pride & Prejudice author Jane Austen. So maybe that's another chick-flick you would like. Or maybe you don't like period pieces with costumes.

I was worn down by my wife's repeated viewings of the 5-hour BBC miniseries of P&P. Every time she was sick she would lay on the couch and watch it. Over time I ended up seeing it all and now can enjoy the story, though you won't find me sitting there watching the whole thing. Maybe I would if the picture quality on the DVD were better.

Knowing the more detailed story from the miniseries helped me enjoy this new version more.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, I did list four, didn't I. :)

Yeah, you know, the fact it was a period
piece was probably the biggest reason I
couldn't get into the film.

Still, I think performance wise, this film
was very solid. Nice transfer, too.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

It's absolutely perfect. There isn't even any kissing in it. Oh, sorry, kissing *was* shoehorned into the US version. Get the R2 disc :)

JR

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Cool, I've seen all but Mean Girls, I'll have to check it out.

I would recommend Four Weddings and a Funeral, and Love, Actually.

Love, Actually is one of the feel-good movies of all-time, and it looks pretty danged good in 1080i high-definition on D-VHS.

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steve,

Love, Actually was my favorite of film last year.

Tremendous!

So..a guy like me can actually enjoy a chick flick
now and then...just as long as it isn't a period piece.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I'm not into "chick flicks" myself but I am a fan of "Kiera Knightly" so I decided to give it a chance and bought the DVD on a blind buy. I watched it for the first time yesterday and...

I loved it! Everything about it!!! The cast, the acting, the scenes, decore, costumes and story!

I like that back in that periode, everyone was so polite. Even when they were being impolite they were polite about it.

My only complaint was that the DVD was a bit short on "bonus materials".

Juan C

Second Unit
I watched it last weekend. I liked it, having read the book when I was a student.

And the wife loved it. Come to think of it, the movie we watched last week was also a chick flick (Prime, with Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep), so I guess next we'll have to rent some Takashi Miike for balance. :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I never would have classified Election as a "chick flick". Just because a movie prominently features a woman (or women) doesn't make it a "chick flick". (I don't think of Mean Girls as a "chick flick" either...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks