What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Peka J

Agent
I also thought this was a terrific film. From the moment it was over I decided that I would get this DVD as soon as it came out. I had seen Being John Malkovich and Adaptation and thought they were worthy of praise for at least being original, neither one really grapped me and neither one would I say is great film (though I know Adaptation has many fans). ESOTSM is in my opinion much, much better and pulls together so many interesting elements. I have been recommending people to see this, and continue to do that now that the DVD is coming out. It's also a good movie to have on DVD because you can definetly watch it mroe than once, and in fact, may need to if you want to figure out how things really tie together. I would be very surprised if this isn't generally recognized as one of the top 10 or even top 5 films of the year when things are said and done.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
This is the first Charlie Kaufman-penned film I am interested in owning. I loved the movie, and I too had decided to own it on DVD as soon as it came out. I rarely do that for new films I see in theaters. I haven't seen a new movie since I wanted to own on DVD-- and I go to the movies often. In fact, I think I buy only about 3 new release films on DVD a year, as my collection is mostly comprised of favorite films that span time all the way back to the 50s. This release is certainly a rare treat!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
One of the best films I saw at the theater in 2004. Certainly the best in its genre. Release day purchase and the review seals the deal since the DVD itself appears to be a keeper. Thanks, Jason. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I meant to ask, and I haven't seen anything about it, but are there trailers included? I loved the second trailer to the film, and it was that one that really put the hook in me.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Yeah yeah yeah. :) Since I last posted in this thread, I've seen Bourne Supremacy and Mean Girls, so that makes 25 movies seen this year and ESOTSM is still in my top 5.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.

of course, i didn't tell you that i saw the film for free about 4 of those times...

only one more day to go!

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
We saw Eternal Sunshine once in the theater, the second weekend it was out. We loved it and while we were walking to the car we were already making plans to see it again as soon as possible. Two weeks later we were ready for viewing #2 and--guess what--it was gone. It was a surreal experience, no theater in town was showing it just three weeks after opening. At one point we started to wonder if we had really even seen it at all...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just watched this last night. Every bit as good as it was in the theater. This is the perfect movie to see after the endless barrage of summer cookie cutter movies.

It's nice to see in a climate of remakes, based on TV series movies and sequels, someone can still come up with an awesome original concept for a film and have it succeed.

Thanks for a great review Jason. And also, thanks for making me aware of Human Nature-somehow it flew under my radar. Will be checking that out tonight. Maybe I'll have a Kaufman marathon! I don't know if my brain can handle that though...

Kain_C

Screenwriter
How utterly incomprehensibly inexcusable! It's not like this is a half century old film and they have to dig for the promo content! I mean, they have all of this other stuff, why no trailer?? Even though I will still buy this film because I love it, I can't help but to be a little miffed at this. It's rare for a DVD NOT to have a trailer!

And I'm a little surprised the review didn't note this poor decision not to include trailers/teasers.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Not really. Recent DVDs WITHOUT a trailer for the movie in question:

The Alamo
Saved!
The Ladykillers
Home on the Range
Scooby-Doo 2
Man on Fire
Passion of the Christ
Jersey Girl

In fact, of the last 10 2004 movies I've reviewed, EIGHT have NOT included trailers!

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Maybe not rare, but more DVDs are released WITH trailers than without.

And with double dipping becoming so popular nowadays, it's quite possible most of these films will be released in a Special Edition version that will include everything.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Eternal Sunshine trailer can be found in the Lost in Translation DVD, but unfortunately it's a forced trailer which you can't skip.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.

I heard that Lost in Translation was good, and was planning on getting that DVD anyway... so that makes the decision even easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks