What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That is pretty freaky (considering the theme of the film itself).

By the way, for what it's worth, Kate Winslet usually annoys me. She's one of those actresses I tend to "respect" as opposed to "love". However, she really nails this character, IMHO. She walks a very fine line between endearing and infuriating, which is pretty difficult to do. Congrats to her for making it work.

This is a film that probably demands multiple viewings. I just finished watching it for the first time, but I'm already aching to see it again. Regardless of whether or not you actually like ESOTSM, you can't deny it's inventiveness. If Hollywood would make more films like this and less films like Hidalgo then I might actually be excited about attending the local cineplex again. :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Best movie of the year IMO.

My wife got me to go see this and I liked it more than she did (although she really liked it).

Your memories are a part of you, good or bad. The movie definitely helps you see that more clearly.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I adore this movie.

If you haven't seen it, run -- don't walk -- to your local DVD store and buy it with all due confidence.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Your memories are a part of you, good or bad. The movie definitely helps you see that more clearly."

That's an element of the movie, no doubt, but I think there are deeper themes, such as the human tendency to look for missing parts of themselves in other people (explaining why certain characters keep making the same choices throughout the movie). For me, the most touching moment in the film and the one I'll carry with me as my residual memory is the moment where two characters bluntly state their faults to each other, rather than conceal them. A relationship is like truth serum, slowly administered over time, and eventually you stand naked and exposed and all your faults are apparent. Likewise, there comes a moment in a relationship where you realize the faults and limitations of your partner, as well. That's what I think the film is about...accepting the person you love for who they are and hoping they do the same for you. The eventual process of a relationship is going to reach that point of honesty and revelation anyway, why not just start at that place? The third act of the film was deeply moving, touching and even inspirational.

Like American Splendor and Mystic River, this won't have a prayer at winning the Academy Award for best picture -- but I think this is the best film I've seen this year.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I saw this film in the theater three times and have been counting the days till its DVD release. The only film I've attended based on the strength of the title. Knowing Charlie Kaufman wrote it just sealed the deal. What an immensely touching, complex film. It was so refreshing to see a film confront love in a serious, non-cliched manner. I must also echo some of Ernest's sentiments. We often see in those we love the qualities we lack but wished we had. Joel wanted to be free and uninhibited, to live the life he chronicled in his journals. Clementine hungered for an anchor to hold to during her impulsive flights. What is even more interesting to me, is that often these same traits we covet in our lovers become the same ones that drive us crazy later on and can sour the relationship. I for one do not believe that the story of Joel and Clementine will end happily (no matter how often it is repeated) but it was deeply moving to see them enter it open-eyed anyway.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Saw Sunshine last night and came away AMAZED. At several times I was like, f**k me this is just soooooooo awesome. I could feel my eyes welling up even a day after while watching the extras.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
This is one of the best movies I've seen in years. I'm glad I picked up the 'buzz' at this forum and invested in a film which I will view with my wife multiple times over the next few years.

As others have noted -- there are multiple themes at play here with memory playing a critical part in our personality evolution and shaping all of our relationships as we mature.

Joel

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Missed it in the theater...you did have to be quick! Watched the DVD this afternoon, and although I pretty much knew that I was gonna like it...simply exceeded my highest expectations by a mile.

A beautiful, unusual, resonant, and emotionally charged film. Easily the best I've seen this year. The acting from all involved is top-notch...especially Kate Winslet. Anyonoe not yet familiar with this film who has read this thread certainly should know by now that THIS IS NOT A FILM TO BE MISSED! Tell everyone ya know!

P.S...someone please id the song that is playing at the end of the "A Look Inside.." featurette.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Just like every other Kauffman film that I've screened, this was unpredictable and wonderful from beginning to end.

Four Stars

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm disappointed the trailer isn't on the DVD too, but for those with broadband Internet access (or a great deal of patience), you can download the trailer in 720p high-def here.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Good analysis, Ernest.

The most powerful statement to me was still that your memories are what makes you you. Without your memories them you aren't you.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
That trailer is one of the best I've seen recently. Not that I needed anything else to pull me into the theatre after knowing Gondry was directing and Charlie Kaufman was writing.

I'm thrilled to see so many people expressing high opinions of the movie. I loved it both times I saw it in the theatre (and I don't go out for movies much these days). The visual component is what grabbed me first (ex. the scene of Clementine being pulled away into the dark), but the romance and love story is what truly makes this rank near the top of films I've seen in the last 5 years or so.

Initially, near the end of the movie when
Joel tells Clementine that he doesn't care if the relationship is bound to fail again

I took that to mean that
he still thought he could make it work this time and that there was a possible happy ending for them both.

But those last few frames of the film
totally knocked me out...Doomed to repeat the same thing...Though I felt slightly sad upon walking out, the more I reflected on the film, the more uplifting it felt. The core point being that all your memories are precious and part of who you are. That their love was so strong, they would prefer to go through the hardship just so they can enjoy the wonderful times as well.

Just freaking great.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
This was something I mentioned in the movies discussion thread back when this was in the theaters: did anybody else notice the brief look (it lasts less than a second) that Clem gives Patrick right after he gives her that piece of jewelry, just before they leave her apartment to go up to Boston? You'll miss it if you blink, but it's there--for just one moment, she KNOWS what's going on and why Patrick is doing the things he's doing, but then it slips away again. Amazing moment, and Kate did it just with the way she moved her eyelids!

Something I really enjoyed in the commentary: during the "humiliation" scene, Gondry says something like, "Charlie, you want to say anything about this?" As in, "Er, is there something you'd like to share with the audience about your experiences?" And Kaufman just says, with the slightest hint of, "No, I have nothing to share!", something like:

Um, that's Joel masturbating?

Pretty funny stuff. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

What a wonderful movie and DVD. This has got to be one of the best films I've seen in the last few years, and I'm glad it was treated well on DVD (though a 2-disc extravaganza would have been welcomed, and should Focus decide to do that later on, will be an immediate double dip for me).

Thanks again to this forum, I have discovered a great movie through buying sight-unseen based on the recommendations of the membership!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks