What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ -Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Michael Gondry's 2004, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an interesting film on many levels.

Kino's new 4k UHD release via Universal is pristine, with perfect color courtesy of DP Ellen Kuras, and offers a nicely rendered 4k of the film, but I'm wondering about a couple of things.

As this was originally a 2k DI, did they return to 35mm elements, or work from an up-rez of the original 2k? I'm also wondering if 4k may be too much for effects shots, which seem to just lay there, while the rest of the shot has some normal grain activity.

There's one near the beginning of the film, and I'm thinking that in 35mm prints it was transparent, and blended with the rest of the shot.

I mention this only in passing, as it's certainly no big deal, and will go unnoticed with the exception of some projecting an image.

The screenplay, shared with Charlie Kaufman is the centerpiece.

A wonderful, and thought-provoking film on a disc that gives us every bit of what on the film element.

Image – 4 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3

Highly Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks